Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decided to get the Christmas whiskey early. Have you tried any of these?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

If you're flying anywhere, it's probably still on special in Dublin Airport duty free. I regret getting the standard Teeling over the Single Grain. It's much, much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Anyone spot the single grain Teeling around Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

54kroc wrote: »
    Anyone spot the single grain Teeling around Cork?

Have you tried Bradley's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

How is the Redbreast 21? Had a bottle of the 15 and found it a bit musky tasting. Got a bottle of Yellow Spot last week as a gift and it is quite a good whiskey but I would prefer Bushmills 16 yo or John's Lane for similar money.
    Actually the Bushmills is my whiskey of the year this year.

Teelings Small Batch is lovely too and quite complex for a young whiskey. 46% is perfect too for this.

Thinking about splashing out on a Redbreast 21. What price now?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

otherwise my non special whiskey (ie regualr whiskey) is black bush - usually about 29 - 34e despends on where you go.
    Oddly I got it in a petrol station for 28 once.

You can still get it for 24.99 the odd time - O'Briens mostly. Often cheaper than "normal"/"white" Bushmills in the same shop which I find quite odd (ignoring that its 19.99 in Lidl all the time now!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pedro1234

buck65 wrote: »
    How is the Redbreast 21? Had a bottle of the 15 and found it a bit musky tasting. Got a bottle of Yellow Spot last week as a gift and it is quite a good whiskey but I would prefer Bushmills 16 yo or John's Lane for similar money.
    Actually the Bushmills is my whiskey of the year this year.

Teelings Small Batch is lovely too and quite complex for a young whiskey. 46% is perfect too for this.

Thinking about splashing out on a Redbreast 21. What price now?

The Redbreast 21 is amazing. I got it for 219 USD so no idea how much it is back home in Ireland.

It's extremely complex, probably my favourite. I'd put it ahead of Midleton.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

€190 in Celtic. Considering €65 is the most I've ever spent on a bottle (combined housewarming and Christmas present for a good friend) I'm not sure I'll be stretching to that even for my present-to-myself for Christmas this year!

Looking at getting a similar (to the €65) cost bottle of something for the house for Christmas though if anyone has any suggestions though. Talisker 10 would be my "normal" dear bottle to keep around, but there's an unopened bottle from when it was last on offer in Tesco here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Have you tried Bradley's?

I haven't, I thought they only stocked the regular one, I have a good look the next time I'm in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

kinda off topic but livingsocial had an offer of a scotch tasting pack from flaviar.com for 10e a while back.
    Bought 2 - 1 for me and 1 for her dad.

Finally arrived - took weeks :confused:

45ml bottles of

Auchentoshan 12
    Laphroaig Quarter Cask
    Lagavulin 16 Year Old
    Singleton of Dufftown 15 Year Old
    The Glenlivet 18 Year Old

they sell it for 34e on their site for a tenner can't go wrong.
    i'll launch into this at the weekend.

Have only tasted the Auchentoshan before which was nice

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

Decided that this Christmas I'm treating myself to a nice whiskey. I've never drank much of the stuff, being a Guinness/red wine drinker, but like the idea of coming in from a swim, fire lighting and pouring a nice whiskey. I haven't tried much so don't even know what my preferences are. Thinking of going for a bottle of Talisker 10 to pop my cherry :p

• Advertisement

Has anyone tried the Paddy Centenary yet? Might pick one up when I get my Christmas bonus if it gets any recommendations on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Ive had Redbreast 21YO and thought it was excellent, really great stuff.

Ive a bottle of Jameson 18 YO and Gold Reserve for myself and my dad. Have had 18 YO before and thought it was amazing, but never really had Gold Reserve, so looking forward to trying both. Wouldn't mind getting a Scotch too to have...

Has anyone tried Midleton Barry Crockett?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Flex wrote: »

It's very nice.
    Quoite sweet with a lot of vanilla.
    It's not hugely unlike Middleton but around twice the price.

Flex wrote: »
    Ive had Redbreast 21YO and thought it was excellent, really great stuff.

Ive a bottle of Jameson 18 YO and Gold Reserve for myself and my dad. Have had 18 YO before and thought it was amazing, but never really had Gold Reserve, so looking forward to trying both. Wouldn't mind getting a Scotch too to have...

I purchased it (see OP), didn't open it yet though. It's my Christmas whiskey.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I know nothing about the whiskeys in question.

I do, however, find the photo of Michael Collins at your bar very amusing.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I know nothing about the whiskeys in question.

I do, however, find the photo of Michael Collins at your bar very amusing.

Hahaha. The only one to pick up on it. Legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

robocode wrote: »
    Decided that this Christmas I'm treating myself to a nice whiskey. I've never drank much of the stuff, being a Guinness/red wine drinker, but like the idea of coming in from a swim, fire lighting and pouring a nice whiskey. I haven't tried much so don't even know what my preferences are. Thinking of going for a bottle of Talisker 10 to pop my cherry :p

Great choice. It's a lovely whisky.

I'll second the support for Talisker - particularly if you're not a current whiskey/scotch drinker. Has the mix of the taste and the smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Talisker is a lovely whisky but I would recommend you buy an Irish if possible!
    We really have fantastic exciting whiskeys on this island that are as good as if not better than Scotch.

Talisker is €45-€50 but I would stretch it another tenner or so and buy a really fantastic Irish like Powers Johns Lane or a Redbreast 12.

Even a Lockes 8 year old is alot cheaper and a great little whiskey also Writers' Tears which just crackles with pot still. Greenore 8yo grain Whiskey is also a good experience at around €40.

Other brilliant but more expensive whiskeys are Tyrconnell Madeira Cask, Bushmills 16 year old and Yellow Spot all around the €75

buck65 wrote: »
    Talisker is a lovely whisky but I would recommend you buy an Irish if possible!
    We really have fantastic exciting whiskeys on this island that are as good as if not better than Scotch.

Talisker is €45-€50 but I would stretch it another tenner or so and buy a really fantastic Irish like Powers Johns Lane or a Redbreast 12.

Even a Lockes 8 year old is alot cheaper and a great little whiskey also Writers' Tears which just crackles with pot still. Greenore 8yo grain Whiskey is also a good experience at around €40.

Other brilliant but more expensive whiskeys are Tyrconnell Madeira Cask, Bushmills 16 year old and Yellow Spot all around the €75

I tried a few on the weekend actually. I enjoyed the Bushmills 16, Redbreast, Green Spot. I also enjoyed a Macallan. I tried a Laphroaig which was such an unexpected taste I didn't know what to make of it. I think I would enjoy peatyness, just a bit less!

Also, just FYI you can get a bottle of Talisker 10 on Amazon for €35 now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,100 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Perhaps a bit off-topic, but is 25 for Crested Ten a good price?

Current price in Tesco.

Geuze wrote: »
    Perhaps a bit off-topic, but is 25 for Crested Ten a good price?

Current price in Tesco.

Its rarely cheaper. Its a bottle I'll buy but I'll probably be banned for saying I can't drink it without ice :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Picked up 2 bottles on the way home from Asia over the weekend, looking forward to trying them.

First is aberlour Cask strength (60%) no age statement but it does look good.

http://www.aberlour.com/range/aberlour-abunadh/

Second is a Laphroaig PX - Essentially matured in Pedro Ximinez casks. Really looking forward to this one.

http://laphroaig.com/whiskies/laph-px.aspx

I used to have a large Whiskey collection but it is vastly reduced these days. Just finished a bottle of Bowmore 25 Year old and I'm now left with:

Bushmills 10 Year Old
    Tyrconnell Madeira Finish
    Bowmore 15 Year Old Darkest

Along with the 2 up above.

I don't agree with the poster above, I find there is a lot more variety in Scotch whisky's and generally find them to be better value than their Irish equivalents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Picked up a bottle of Aldi's 10year old.

27quid so hopefully it's ok. It's my drinking whiskey for Xmas.

Have the Middleton then for the once every now and then. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Midfield9

robocode wrote: »
    I tried a few on the weekend actually. I enjoyed the Bushmills 16, Redbreast, Green Spot. I also enjoyed a Macallan. I tried a Laphroaig which was such an unexpected taste I didn't know what to make of it. I think I would enjoy peatyness, just a bit less!

Also, just FYI you can get a bottle of Talisker 10 on Amazon for €35 now

Thanks that's good value, a novice whiskey drinker but talisker 10 is easily one of my favorite's. Went to order a couple of bottles there and they wouldn't deliver to Ireland. Presume you use parcel motel?

Midfield9 wrote: »
    Thanks that's good value, a novice whiskey drinker but talisker 10 is easily one of my favorite's. Went to order a couple of bottles there and they wouldn't deliver to Ireland. Presume you use parcel motel?

Haven't ordered it yet, but yeah I'll be going the Parcel Motel route.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Parcel Motel say they don't allow alcohol. Is this enforced?

irish_goat wrote: »

I didn't know that, crap! That scuppers my plan. Although, I don't know how they would know it's alcohol. I don't think Amazon labels items, does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

irish_goat wrote: »
    Yes, I have had a shipment refused by Parcel Motel from Germany & returned to sender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Midfield9

Crap! After ordering a couple of bottles through parcel motel. Do I just cancel the order or wait and see what happens. If they refuse it I presume it just gets sent back to Amazon and I'll be refunded anyway?

Advertisement