Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Human Universe

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Doesn't "Bás Beatha" mean "living dead"? That'd be enough to scare anyone who has a basic knowledge of Irish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

robindch wrote: »
    And were the Russians really going to bomb Killarney?
    i was once told - and never verified this - that killybegs (and possibly killary harbour) had the dubious honour of being targets for both US and russian nukes; killybegs is a deep water port in a strategically useful location, so each side had it targetted in case the enemy got there first.

i'd love to know if there was any truth in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Doesn't "Bás Beatha" mean "living dead"?

Dead or Alive

DOA-dead-or-alive-band-9859254-373-500.jpg

...I think.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Doesn't "Bás Beatha" mean "living dead"? That'd be enough to scare anyone who has a basic knowledge of Irish.
    It means "Death . . . Life". It was published a couple of years after the Cuban Missile Crisis. And of course everybody had read On the Beach, a cheery best-seller by Neville Shute about the inevitable death of humanity following a nuclear exchange, or they had seen the film adaptation.

In short, there was no need to scare the bejasus out of anyone; they were already scared sh1tless. The purpose of the booklet was more to reassure than to scare. The perception at the time - or, at any rate, the hope - was that the most likely threat to Ireland was not from direct attack but from nuclear fallout following attacks on the UK, and this was in principle survivable. Or, at least, the booklet sought to give that impression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I saw the episode on SETI/ Alien life (I think #3) and it was simply stunning, his passion for the subject is what makes it great .

• Advertisement
Advertisement