Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The things I love about the AR forum

Options
  • 15-10-2014 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭

I think we could all do with a bit if positivity, so I'll get it off the ground:

1. The training logs, an insight into our peers' training and advice on our own.

2. The friendships, both online and in reality, I've met some really decent people through here.

3. Information on local and international upcoming events.

4. Training help and advice has been invaluable to many. I first got involved here through Krusty's honest assessment of my training when I needed a bit if guidance.

5. The banter is usually very good, good for a laugh and a bit if healthy slagging most of the time.

6. Debate on current issues in the sport, gives a medium to discuss the interests that our real-world friends find boring.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

The honesty of most people posting on the A/R forum(not a dig at anybody before people start). If your training like a tit or doing something wrong there is always someone to call you on it and point you/set you in the right direction. Invaluable if you have zero friends into running or are not a member of a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

My Log. Its great.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The "Athletics On TV" thread to remind me when I've forgotten to record or watch something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

The amount of longtime posters willing to give advice to new runners is astonishing.
    Often it's the same questions over and over again and sometimes the inquirer doesn't not get the answer they want to hear but 99% of the time the responder gives an honest answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Seeing the results that consistency delivers- reminds you why you keep going out the door

Race reports- heart and soul on a page

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

It's the little snippets of advice I get from a good nose through here. It's nearly as good as an hours' running schooling I get from the veterans in my club :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

The Boards Beer Mile. Long may that continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

The fact it has forced me out the door for the many, many runs that I wouldn't have done had it not been for my log.

But most of all it's the do's and don'ts that I've picked up from various contributors across the training logs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

The unending wealth of knowledge from a hardcore group of runners that seem to find time after training to mentor and advise other runners of pretty much all abilities.

I for one don't take it for granted, thanks.

(1) Advice & feedback on your training either directly or by seeing what others are doing.
    (2) Great social element to this - both online and through meeting people 'for real' - adds fun to running
    (3) Motivation to do better as person x has just beaten your PB by 5 seconds.
    (4) Keeps racing focused as I tend to do my race report in my head while racing.
    (5) Keeps you honest, despite any white lies you may tell - the training log is always right!
    (6) I'd probably have a lot more DNF's if I wasn't on Boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I'm with RQ on this one. Running with a chest infection/ trachea infection/ sore throat is never a smart move. I reckon for every day one trains when sick they push themselves back 3 days. There's nothing beneficial to it. Rest.

It's really fuc*ing stupid. Stop doing it, you know better. Wait till you feel better. Then wait another day.

Take it from someone who is extra f*cking stupid.

The random advice you pick up when looking at someone's log that immediately hit home. Very nearly chanced a run this lunchtime out of frustration when I know that I really need at least another day ! Thanks

Running in the PP and wondering if that runner who past you in the other direction is on Boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

The advice, the knowledge, the friendly banter, the support, watching the progress of other runners & realising that similar improvement is possible for yourself with hard work.

Edit: Also, having an interest in almost every race that takes place. "Oh, x is running today. Wonder how he/she got on"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

- DCM Novices thread: loved being part of the 2012 thread and have made some really good friends from it and I enjoyed mentoring the 2013 thread. I think it's a brilliant resource and I learned so much from all the advice given

- The training logs and race reports: Interesting and inspiring and I find writing in my own log kind of therapeutic

- Meeting boardsies at races, hanging out with boardsies, meeting new boardsies and all my boards friends

- All the sound advice you get from people who have a vast amount of knowledge and experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

That the "T" is gone ;)

Please note : The above comment is in jest and readers should not infer that I have a dislike or plain mistrust of triathletes. In fact, some of our best triathletes are alleged former failed runners ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭kchsligo

Running in the PP and wondering if that runner who past you in the other direction is on Boards!

Not just in the PP - I'm often thinking the same when running here in Sligo , although I must admit the chances of it being the case are probably a lot slimmer than in PP.

Have picked up some really really invaluable pointers on here and had many a laugh at some of the posts - long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

people taking the time & interest to contact you and offer advice. Was just saved from making a big mistake there (kinda knew it would be a mistake but think the panic of missed runs might have driven me to it :o). Thanks D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

1. The training logs are a phenomenal resource - especially when you are starting out here. They contain so much helpful stuff and are a real source of inspiration and motivation.

2. The knowledge of some of the posters here and there willingness to share information and give advice is amazing on all aspects be it training plans, gear etc, etc.

3. The people you meet through the forum at races.

4. The inside information on races you get and honest feedback on races.

5. The motivation you get from following the logs of people around a similar ability as yourself and the banter and competitiveness that goes with that.

6. The mods of this forum. I have a little insight into the work involved in modding on this site but the mods here do so much more than moderating and really go beyond the call in keeping this forum going - I include the past mods as well as the current mods (Ecoli and RayCun etc).

7. RunningKing - he was awesome unlike the boring senisble auld fella that replaced him :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

I just love meno...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

ultraman1 wrote: »
    I just love meno...

you two-timing bastard! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I echo all of the sentiments above.

I googled "marathon plan" a few years back and that's how I found this place and I'm so glad I did. I've learned so much (even more than from being an actual club member) from here it is difficult to describe in a few lines. My log keeps me honest and I look to people here for guidance all the time and I get great advice.

It has also given me the opportunity to meet some genuinely nice, friendly people, - priceless.

Tom Joad wrote: »

7. RunningKing - he was awesome unlike the boring senisble auld fella that replaced him :D

That sensible auld fella even bores me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

1 - feeling like staying on the warm sofa, reading a few log updates, realising you're being a lazy ba$tid and then doing the planned run.

2 - Seeing "normal" people progress into serious runners running serious times - and having access to the journey along the way

3 - getting info on upcoming races

4 - banter

5 - Having access to a community of people who love the sport and are more than willing to share their ideas on training etc

6 - Getting honest feedback on race\training performances, not being a member of a club, I find this invaluable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

The help and support over on the novice thread. From fellow novices, Ososlo and everyone else pitching in with advice and experience. It's very much appreciated and has made the last few months very enjoyable overall.

Just reading lots of training logs and getting an idea of different training which can be done. Definitely helping to broaden my knowledge and give me motivation and insight on ways to improve.

Also feedback and info on races I may not have known about or considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

digger2d2 wrote: »
    That the "T" is gone ;)

Please note : The above comment is in jest and readers should not infer that I have a dislike or plain mistrust of triathletes. In fact, some of our best triathletes are alleged former failed runners ;)

Thought you'd have mentioned meeting your burd ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

In the real world, if you run more than 2 or 3 times a week, you are not normal.
    Here if you run less than 6 or 7 times a week, you are not normal.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Should probably have mentioned that I probably wouldn't have met my fiance if it wasn't for this forum :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

That fact that I'm still running and making small gains is 100% down to this forum. I know for a fact had I not discovered this place I would have stopped back in 2012 before I really even started.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Without this forum and the very helpful posters I would have never have knocked 90 mins off my marathon time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

They're called stilts.

Advertisement