Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standing up to teachers

Options
  • 15-10-2014 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

I'm in 5th year and I've got a ***** of a teacher. She tries to be intimidating but she's not really. I wouldn't say I'm afraid of her by any means but I'm not great at standing up for myself. How can I stand up for myself in future when she starts giving me ****?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

Stop being a cheeky pup and do your homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Show her mickey.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Cry at her aggressively.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Something something crutches. Something something baby steps.

Seriously though most teachers will think you're being cheeky if you try to stand up for yourself because God forbid a student is correct about something.

Put the head down and get on with it, before you know it you'll never have to see her again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

I'm in 5th year and I've got a ***** of a teacher. She tries to be intimidating but she's not really. I wouldn't say I'm afraid of her by any means but I'm not great at standing up for myself. How can I stand up for myself in future when she starts giving me ****?

I had a teacher that used to imitate me and just generally pick on me in class. At the end of the class, when another teacher was in the room, I asked if she had a problem with me.

When she pled ignorance, I listed off the things she had done. She never said a word to me after that ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭mrskinner

Just change classes? Although you may have problems with other teachers? parents? guards?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

clear sign she fancies your. Lay the gob on her

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

No matter what you are going to be in trouble. SO just do it whatever way you want, school is great they consequences are tiny as long as you dont physically assault her.

Tell her to **** off, you'll regret it if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

If you feel you have a genuine grievance go to your parents and ask them to contact her, be sure you have a list of good arguments. Otherwise it sounds like you might have an attitude issue.

Your teacher is hired to do a job and you should keep your head down and do your work, rather than thinking of ways to stand up to her. Maybe if you did that you wouldnt have issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

Teacher here;
    Just talk to her after class, straight out day you don't feel comfortable in her class, and your not sure if ye just got off on the wrong foot or something, but you would like her to be aware of it.
    Honestly, sometimes teachers just don't like students; perhaps she just got a wrong first impression or something, but change her mind about you before it's cemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭sw33t_r3v3ng3

it's more of a personality thing. I hate her, she hates me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Maybe shut your mouth and do what your told?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Cait87

shalalala wrote: »
    I had a teacher that used to imitate me and just generally pick on me in class. At the end of the class, when another teacher was in the room, I asked if she had a problem with me.

When she pled ignorance, I listed off the things she had done. She never said a word to me after that ! :D

Yep, do it in front of one of her colleagues. That will make her look un-professional, and she may think twice. Your there to be taught not to be picked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Why is she giving you hassle? Does she give you hassle because you don't have work done for her class, because you disrupt the class, etc?

I had an Irish teacher in 3rd year who was a complete cow to most people, and me in particular. But if I'm being perfectly honest with myself, 80% of the time I arrived into her class with no homework done and no interest in engaging with the subject. If I'd just done the work or asked to be dropped to pass Irish, the problem would have gone away.

seamus wrote:
    I had an Irish teacher in 3rd year who was a complete cow to most people, and me in particular. But if I'm being perfectly honest with myself, 80% of the time I arrived into her class with no homework done and no interest in engaging with the subject. If I'd just done the work or asked to be dropped to pass Irish, the problem would have gone away.

Must be a coincidence that she's an Irish teacher too....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭endacl

That's life. You'll meet that in college too. And in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

This makes you sound like a little prick.

bobmalooka wrote:
    This makes you sound like a little prick.

How may i ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Are you a pain in the arse in class? I ask because only now that I teach do I realise what a total pain in the hole I must've been for many of my teachers (I never stopped talking).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There you go so. You have two options:

1. Just keep your head down, do whatever homework has been assigned and learn to not antagonise her
    2. Speak to your parents and get them to arrange a transfer to another class.
    3. Talk to the principal and ask him/her to arrange a one-to-one session to work out a compromise between you and the teacher.

She's probably well aware that the two of you butt heads every day, and she too would rather that she didn't have to deal with that crap every day.

Teachers are human too. They want to go into school every day and have a nice easy and relaxing day that doesn't involve giving students crap and dealing with attitudes. It's unfortunate that most of us don't realise this until we're already ten years out of school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Teacher here;

Well. :pac:

seamus wrote:
    1. Just keep your head down, do whatever homework has been assigned and learn to not antagonise her 2. Speak to your parents and get them to arrange a transfer to another class. 3. Talk to the principal and ask him/her to arrange a one-to-one session to work out a compromise between you and the teacher.

seamus wrote:
    She's probably well aware that the two of you butt heads every day, and she too would rather that she didn't have to deal with that crap every day.

seamus wrote:
    Teachers are human too. They want to go into school every day and have a nice easy and relaxing day that doesn't involve giving students crap and dealing with attitudes. It's unfortunate that most of us don't realise this until we're already ten years out of school.

I get what your saying. I will admit I do talk a bit in class but I do all homework assigned and am a good student in general (except her class)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

I get what your saying. I will admit I do talk a bit in class but I do all homework assigned and am a good student in general (except her class)

Last bit contradicts the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Had a tool of a geography teacher in 1st year, I was excellent at the subject and used to point out to him when he was wrong. One day after I drew on the blackboard to show him how he was wrong he got the hump and hated me thereafter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Well then since she only knows how you are in her class and not any other time how would she know what kind of student you "generally" are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

A quiet word after class inforrming her that she has been sexually harassing you. €100 a week cash will make her new problem go away.
    You'll make a few quid and she'll transfer out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

OP ask yourself honestly if you give your teacher a reason to be annoyed with you. If you do, then there's your answer- stop pis*ing her off and maybe she'll get off your back. If you don't, then you need to see if there's a way ye can get on. Maybe chat to her on her own or get a parent to ring the school.

I'm a teacher (I teach Irish too as it happens) and no teacher goes into class wanting to nag at any individual student. They just want to teach. You're only one of probably about 100-150 students this teacher teaches so I seriously doubt she's overly occupied with annoying you specifically more than any other student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

We've learned two thinggs about seamus. He has a dubious grasp of maths and Irish :D

OP, I suggest being a model student for a week (as much as it kills you) and if she's still acting the maggott do as suggested ask her if there is a misunderstanding because you don't understand why you are being singled out. If she stops, then great.

It's more important for you to learn in the class than to rebel. She'll still have a job, so try and resolve it.

Then at the end of 6th year call her every name under the sun. It wont be long coming around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

It honestly depends on the situation
    If she picks on you for absolutely no reason e.g if you're not sure of the answer or if she singles you out then fair enough. Get transferred into another class if you're really not happy with it or else get on with it and do the work.
    If you don't do the work for her class or don't put in any effort then she's right to give out to you.
    I had a problem where me and a particularly annoying English teacher who spewed stories about his life every day (with no relevance to the subject). I went to the principal, left a complaint that I was learning nothing and so did a couple of other people. We were moved into the ordinary level class and we are now split into higher level and ordinary level. I hear from the students in his class that he talks about the ordinary level class (that i am in) and how we will aspire to nothing.
    So if you have a genuine problem with a teacher you do have a right to complain. But if you're someone who sits there and daydreams all day and then complains when a teacher gives out, then you don't. Simple.

Advertisement