Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple earning €105,000 p.a.

Options
  • 15-10-2014 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭

Are they considered wealthy or middle income?

Comments

Middle income, I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Poor bastards must be on minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Did this couple meet in coppers by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Wealth and income are different things.

A couple with 105k income that spends every cent and has no savings are certainly now wealthy.

A couple with 75k income that save hard, bought property at the right time, got lucky with shares etc. and have a net worth of 500k could be considered wealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭tritium

Valetta wrote: »
    Wealth and income are different things.

A couple with 105k income that spends every cent and has no savings are certainly now wealthy.

A couple with 75k income that save hard, bought property at the right time, got lucky with shares etc. and have a net worth of 500k could be considered wealthy.

What they said ^^^^°>. More detail is needed here. Do they have any children? If so what ages are they? A boom time mortgage? What's their minimum expenditure for commute to work? Do they have any adult dependents- elderly parents etc? Single or dual income household?

Depending on relative answers to the above a couple on 40k could be doing better than them by any realistic benchmark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,455 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Do they wear top hats and use monocles?

If not then no, they're not wealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Anything over twice the average industrial wage is middle class.

The average industrial wage is €30,000

Do the math

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ThinkAboutIt

Ireland: Anyone that has more money than me is rich. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Do they spend all their money on take aways and Tubz's?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Where do they live?

• Advertisement

An average salary of 52.5k each isn't wealthy, it's better than the industrial average but it can't be described as wealthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Ellie2008 wrote: »
    Are they considered wealthy or middle income?
    It depends. What's their monthly disposable income?

Anything over twice the average industrial wage is middle class.

The average industrial wage is €30,000

Do the math

So if they earn €70,000,000 a year they're on middle income?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

That kind of coin coming into the household could be described as anything from Squeezed Middle-Class to reasonably affluent. One thing it isn't is wealthy. When a person is "wealthy" salary doesn't come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

That's only ~6K net a month. If they're in their twenties with no mortgage or kids they should be fairly comfortable.

If they've two kids and a sizeable mortgage then it changes, particularly if they're paying creche fees.

It's too general to class people solely on income without accounting for circumstances.

Additionally, in a lot of cases (my own included) my salary is only a portion of my overall compensation and the additional benefits I receive significantly reduce my costs for other things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

Ah they're wealthy, 105,000, come on that's a huge amount. I think 150,000 up would be classed as super-wealthy. 50,000-80,000 would be considered rich, 30,000-50,000 are middle earners and then below 30,000 are poor. My terms of description can be changed a bit and the numbers a small bit but you get the general outline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

It all hinges on whether or not all day long they biddy biddy bum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

o1s1n wrote: »
    Do they wear top hats and use monocles?

If not then no, they're not wealthy.

I'm wealthy!

(As monocle falls from eye.)

Laois6556 wrote: »
    Ah they're wealthy, 105,000, come on that's a huge amount. I think 150,000 up would be classed as super-wealthy. 50,000-80,000 would be considered rich, 30,000-50,000 are middle earners and then below 30,000 are poor. My terms of description can be changed a bit and the numbers a small bit but you get the general outline.

"Wealthy" means your resources - assets liquid and otherwise - work for you. A couple earning a combined salary of a hundred grand or so are working for their crust like most every other stiff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Wealth is a lot like making love to a beautiful woman.

It's not what you have, it's how you spread it around.

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    "Wealthy" means your resources - assets liquid and otherwise - work for you. A couple earning a combined salary of a hundred grand or so are working for their crust like most every other stiff.

Wealthy = having a great deal of money, resources, or assets.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is the 105k based on one income or two?

Wealthy = having a great deal of money, resources, or assets.

Wealthy == having sufficient assets - liquid and/or otherwise - to be able to live as you please independent of any salaried employment.

OSI wrote: »
    €105,000 between them isn't a lot. They'd come out with about €6k after tax every month. Take a mortgage, car costs, childcare fees, bills etc out and they'll have a bit of disposable income and something to save, but they won't be wealthy.

Take that off a couple earning 60,000? They are wealthy, if they're spending more money than others it's because they have more money to spend.

Wealthy == having sufficient assets - liquid and/or otherwise - to be able to live as you please independent of any salaried employment.

That's the super-wealthy.

That's the super-wealthy.

No. That is what "wealth" is. Our €105,000 couple above are merely earning a good living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Take that off a couple earning 60,000? They are wealthy, if they're spending more money than others it's because they have more money to spend.

If they died tomorrow they might have very little to give their kids, so they're no wealthy. Earning does not always equal wealth!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

That's only a little over 3K net a month. If they have the costs listed (rent/mortgage, car, other bills etc.) it really doesn't go that far.

No. That is what "wealth" is. Our €105,000 couple above are merely earning a good living.

That's your definition, it doesn't match most people's definition.

• Advertisement

That's your definition, it doesn't match most people's definition.

Most people in Ireland don't understand what wealth is. That's half our problem.

Advertisement