Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CRT display issue

Options
  • 14-10-2014 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi all,

Was going to put this in Video games but here seems more appropriate. Would someone be able to have a look at my TV and advise me of what this phenomenon is?

The TV is a Sony Trinitron KV-29F3U and is a damn nice set aside from this issue. As you can see, it briefly corrects itself around the 7 second mark for 2 seconds then goes back to it's odd behavior. Do you know what the issue might be and if there is a way to resolve this issue or is this TV ready for the dump? I hope not as it's a great TV with outstanding audio and a nice picture (when it works properly).

There is not much I can do in the test menus aside from lowering the contrast too much (making the screen way too dark and unwatchable). It happens on all inputs - RF, Composite, SVideo, Scart AV, Scart SVid and Scart RGB). I suspect it might have something to do with brighter colours or a contrast when dark and light "lines" meet but it can happen seemingly at random - regardless of what colours or brightness is on the picture (The "wavy" bit can even sometimes be seen in the OSD). In terms of power, the set is plugged directly into the wall and consoles are plugged in away from the same wall outlet (for testing - same issue). Is there anything simple inside that I can adjust safely by opening it to resolve this issue (such as adjusting a pot, adding magnets etc...)?

I can link you to the manual if it helps anyone. Any help would be greatly appreciated or failing that, the name of any TV repair shops near Dublin 8 that might still service CRT sets would be appreciated.

Also, on a side note, I believe this TV has the teletext deinterlacing 480i to 240p "feature" but I cannot get rid of the fastext shortcuts at the bottom - Is there a way to get rid of that somehow (maybe change text color to clear)? I couldn't find anything in test menu 1 or 2. The manual does show "Text system" as being either 'C Tex't or 'TV Text' on the TV Status screen but I cannot change it from C Text on my model. The only other interlace information is TT code 51 and 52. 51 is Text Interlace odd (NON INTERLACE MODE = 3) and 52 is Text Interlace even (NON INTERLACE MODE = 2) though I cannot see any change (Hard to tell with the above issue anyway)

Cheers
    Noobsaibot21

PS: No, I do not want to get rid of it or "just use an LCD/LED". I have a Scart to HDMI scaler which does a pretty good job on the HDTV however, I would prefer to maintain this set as it's perfect side and perfect for my retro gaming needs.

Advertisement