Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So you think that you are speaking English?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I knew English was a hotchpotch of words from German, French, Latin and (some) Greek , but not Norse. Makes sense, given that the east coast of England was settled by them for several hundred years. Nice article. As they say in Denmark; tak tac.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

One way or another some Dutch has snuck in,as well, not surprising given the proximity. Many buildings where we live in the East of England look right at home in The Netherlands - have a look at Wisbech, for instance. Lots of Dutch has entered English via ships and sailing, even the word 'ship' is Dutch, as are parts of the sails like boom and so on. The very landscape of East Anglia is down to one Dutch civil engineer, brought over to England by Charles II to drain the fens.

In railways - not in UK though - the van at the end of a freight train is called a caboose - from Old Dutch Kabhuijs - another nautical structure.

I recommend a number of books on the subject, if you are in any way interested - Melvin Bragg's book - 'The Adventure of English' and Bill Bryson's amazingly funny 'Mothertongue' are just two.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I read Mother Tongue about 20 years ago, I subsequently read that some of the stuff in it isn't exactly correct, but it is a very entertaining read all the same.

Advertisement