Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small pet farm, pigs, sheep, goats, hens!

Options
  • 12-10-2014 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi all,

I have an idea to build a small pre school(approx 10 children) and section off an area of land for a small pet farm when we build our house next year. I'm hoping to have hens and possibly pigs, sheep and goats , probably two of each. I am wondering can anyone tell me how much these animals cost approximately?
    I also need to know what I can feed these animals and the approximate cost .
    Then I have to address the area of fencing, I have heard goats are hard to fence in so I may have to rethink them. Can anyone tell me what the best type of fencing is and roughly the cost per metre .
    I have seen some useful information in the thread on hens but I'm not sure where to get hens in North Tipperary! I also am not sure how one goes about buying sheep, pigs or goats!
    As you can see I have a lot of work ahead of me and I'm a bit of a novice so any help to get me started would be great!

Thanks !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,172 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Firstly you will have to register with the Dept of Agriculture and get a pig herd number, sheep & goat number and a poultry flock number. You will also need suitable housing/sheds/shelters with a supply of running piped water for them too. A DVO (District Veterinary Officer) will visit your location to ensure that you have adequate facilities before granting a herd number.
    An electric fence is a must for pigs with heavy duty sheep fencing behind it. You could pen sheep on the next pen to the pigs thereby utilising the same sheep fencing. Goats will only get out if they can jump so again a couple of strands of electric fence wire placed a few feet inside their pen (surrounded with sheep wire fencing) will help to prevent them from escaping.
    To be honest if you are only going to be minding 10 children then the income would not justify the outlay costs of fencing and stock.
    I would presume that you would have to have written consent from parents that it is ok that their children would/could be in contact with farm animals and of course the necessary insurance in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 psychk

Thanks..my fionce is from a farming background and it is his land that we will be using. He works for the dept of agriculture and im not sure but he may be registered with them. I will make about 500 profit from ten children offering the free pre school year and that s only a sessional service. I have nine years experience in childcare and psychology and Im aware of the consent form.The children will not be in the field with them but just feeding them etc.We will take the food trough in to the field after. Thanks for the advice on fencing..Im not sure about electric fencing with children but I guess I could put in inside another fence.

An electric fence inside the main sheep fence or post and rail is a must for pigs otherwise they will root under any fence.

Thanks !thats useful to know..I've just got to find out the cost of animals now and feed etc to make sure I can cover costs!

Weaner pigs between €35 and €50 each depending on breed and age. €100+ for pure bred gilts.
    Pet lambs were selling this spring at €25+ each. A bag of Lamlac is about €25 and you need one for each lamb.
    Not sure about kids but I reckon you could get buck dairy kids for taking away.
    You can get commercial hybrid pol pullets for about €8/€9 each. You will pay anything from €15+ for pure breds depending on quality.

• Advertisement

Thanks base price...you've been more than helpful!It seems I will have a bit of a start up cost but once up and running It should be okay, now ..fencing! Sheep fencing and electric wire you say,good to know..ill check that next ..prob get it from co op ..seemingly cheaper than other places

One thing to think of - pigs will root up the area the you put them into and it will turn into a quagmire over the winter. If you are getting two pigs and can spare the extra land them allow them the extra space. My pig pens are 50m x 50m

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I'd suggest you visit a pet farm in your locality and make a point of quizzing the owner.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Thanks ,was thinking that was a good idea...will definitly do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭brianiac

do all pigs root upland or is it breed specific? vague recollection that 'certain' breeds are more grass grazers than some others...as to which, i dont know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

OP I would recommend that you talk to your local farm animal veterinary practice also. You will need them for vaccinations, wormers etc. anyway and they would be happy to give you advice to help you get started and avoid problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭abutler101

Your set up costs are going to be large. Buying the animals won't be the expensive part, the housing and fencing will. For a hen house you will be spending €200-300 to buy it. The best fencing (IMO) is the electic poultry netting which will cost you about €150 ish. I wouldn't recommend keeping just two hens, go for 3 at a minimum but 5/6 would be better. The run would need to be about 6mx6m especially if you aren't moving it.

A bag of layers pellets will cost about €10-15 and would last a flock of 6 around
    6-8 weeks depending on the availability of greens and area to scratch for bugs.

The hens themselves will cost €8-10 if you just want plain red hybrids, pure breeds are more expensive.

I don't really know about the other animals but I imagine with with bigger runs and larger houses it will cost more to set up for them.

Thanks...ya the initial set up will cost but there is allot of good deals on done deal for farm equipment..i plan to have 5 or 6 hens as they are not expensive..thanks for the info on feeding and fencing costs!

Advertisement