Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bats - love or loathe them?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I like them, there's a few living somewhere around a watertower near the estate, I sometimes see them whizzing about at dusk in summer. I don't see what anyone could have against them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭guest2014

People are idiots, it wouldn't surprise me.

that reminds me of a guy i know, he was going camping once and told me he was bringing his gun with him in case a mink got into his tent, as they would go straight for your neck and drink all your blood until you are dead, he was dead serious.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I think bats are pretty cool, they're like an animal that shouldn't fly but they do, it's like a flying kitten, they're the only mammals that can fly. They're sort of mysterious as well, they're often about in the evenings at home but even then it's hard to get a look at them. I had a cat that brought one into me in bed one time, that wasn't so fun..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I like them. They are always around my parents house at night. I like the little chirp noise they emit. Pretty cool that they can catch flies in pitch darkness with their echolocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Lots of bats where I live and they fly quite close. I love bats, happy to see them.
    I don't like bats in the house though, Irish bats are harmless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

My grandfather convinced me and my cousins when we were small that nuns turned into bats when they died.
    The terror the mad bastard inflicted on a bunch of four and five year olds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Bats can't see in the dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Always enjoyed going into the Bat House in Dublin Zoo when I was little.
    As bad as they are for carrying several dieases, you have to admit they're oddly cute little critters. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭Minjor

From my experience, you don't see them out flying all that often in Ireland.

I live in the countryside and see them rarely. Cool to watch though when they decide to make an appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

No opinion on them whatsoever.

Voles, love them or hate them? Now, theres a topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Adyx wrote: »
    There's a type of bat found in South America that does feed on blood.

There is indeed but the OP was specifically talking about bats in Ireland. I also thinks it's pretty unfair to label all bats as blood suckers because of breed, you want to take a good hard look at yourself in the mirror mate ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Seeing the Bats out flying around the place is the start of summer for me. They fly around my house at night in circles for the entire summer, fantastic to watch, they can pull off some moves that would put a Swallow to shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Baby bats are real cuties, we'd one with a damaged wing in the boilerhouse once. Couldn't catch the guy to bring him to a vets, he'd flop away off balance if you got near to him. Furry head on him.

It took three days for him to die. Probably should have killed the poor thing to put it out of it's misery although that's easier said than done obviously. I wouldn't have it in me to end a bats life no matter what the circumstance

I think its against the law to kill a bat in the house. Open to correction :)
    Although who the fukc is going to ring up the appropriate authority and say "Eh yeah, I've just killed a bat so best come over and arrest me" :D

I like them.
    Great little critters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

They're very cute and useful, but I'm scared of them a bit because they fly too fast and close, and I have this irrational fear that they will aim for my hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

How could anyone not like this?

bebeh_battles.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

It is an offence under the Wildlife Act (1976 & 2000) to intentionally disturb, kill or injure a bat or its resting place, so any work must be carried out with advice and under licence from the NPW.

http://www.batconservationireland.org/php/bats.php

Love seeing them fly about the place about the back garden around dusk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Nodster wrote: »
    It is an offence under the Wildlife Act (1976 & 2000) to intentionally disturb, kill or injure a bat or its resting place, so any work must be carried out with advice and under licence from the NPW.

http://www.batconservationireland.org/php/bats.php

Love seeing them fly about the place about the back garden around dusk

Aha!!
    Thought I read/heard it somewhere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Minjor wrote: »
    From my experience, you don't see them out flying all that often in Ireland.

I live in the countryside and see them rarely. Cool to watch though when they decide to make an appearance.

I see them out flying everyday in twilight before it is too dark.

Couple of years ago had three bats arrive in my father's bedroom, getting them back out was fun :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

FunLover18 wrote: »
    There is indeed but the OP was specifically talking about bats in Ireland. I also thinks it's pretty unfair to label all bats as blood suckers because of breed, you want to take a good hard look at yourself in the mirror mate ;)
    Not one of the posts I quoted mentioned Ireland. I was pointing out the factual inaccuracy in your posts and you think I need to take a good hard look at myself in the mirror. You were wrong, get over it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Don't mind bat's but much prefer a shower. Always feel cleaner

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Am I the only one shocked that the OP referred to bats drinking human blood as a "common misconception"? Do people really think bats drink blood?
    Truth is stranger than fiction.

It looks like being bitten by real life Vampire Bats may prevent rabies

https://plus.google.com/+ChrisBlasko/posts/GzCuzTyUXNq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Am I the only one shocked that the OP referred to bats drinking human blood as a "common misconception"? Do people really think bats drink blood?

I didn't. Honestly.

Advertisement