Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hobbit : Battle of the five armies (December 2014)

Options
  • 11-10-2014 10:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭

Couldn't see a thread for this...it's not far away now. I'm not hopeful after the first two being really disappointing, but you never know..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSzeFFsKEt4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Borefest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'm still pissed off about the elf-dwarf romance :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Gonna rewatch the first two a couple of days before it and then rewatch the lotr trilogy the few days after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Relatively enjoyed An Unexpected Journey but after the 3 hours of feck all that was Smaug I really don't know what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I have extremely low expectations.

If you just edited out all the extraneous ****e from the first 2 films what's left would be fairly good, IMO. But there's a lot of extraneous ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Agree completely GBear

but in a twisted irony, I have to say, the extra footage in the extended editions actually did improve the films, for me anyways..if only for adding some stuff more related to the book and adding content that shouldnt have been cut at all..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Did enjoy the first, second was completely unsatisfying.

Peter Jackson is without doubt one of the most self indulgent directors in the business, no one enjoys a story that feels dragged out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Ugh. Looking forward to seeing it, if only so I can get it over with.

Saw an unexpected journey one and a half times. Smaug once, and no inclination to go back and watch either of them ever again.

And this from a guy who's seen the LOTR trilogy so much I practically know them by heart.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Hobbit AUJ was pretty average (sadly - I LOVE LOTR) but Smaug was leaps and bounds over it. Hoping they repeat the same for this one. Maybe it's because they feel like they're stretching a small source material rather than squeezing down epic tomes. Although I'm not hyped to see it, I definitely will, in whatever bells & whistles they offer in the cine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

I thought Desolation was better as well only for the scenes with Smaug, least there's going to be big action in the final part. Totally agree on Jackson being self indulgent, ridiculously so.

someone caught the new trailer on their phone..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Here is the new trailer:

Anyone recognize the song? Really want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

That trailer is, quite frankly, amazeballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

The single worse thing about the 2nd one was where they ended it. And it shows in the trailers.

First one heavily pushed smaug

This one he is completely absent

I expect to get whiplash from the pacing of this film

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Saw the trailer before interstellar yesterday.

A big load of meh is just about the best way I could describe it.

Looking toward to getting it over with.

How come they did not split this into two films? I though that was the done thing for film trilogies now.....

Imagine...three was a stretch for such thin source material..splitting the last probably did cross Jacksons mind at some point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Best place to watch this? Cineworlds IMAX screen is listed as capable of HFR 3D but I don't think they're actually showing it with HFR

was this a question or a suggestion?
    only kidding..

the frame rate wont help the quality of the film..i'm not hopeful

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Sonic Death Monkey

Won't bother going to see this, but I'll rent it on iTunes at some stage just do I've seen them all.

The first was pretty good I though. Second one bored the pants off me. Could've been so good as one stand alone movie. The book is one of my favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Scared Hitless 2

I enjoyed the 1st. I saw the 2nd only 2 months ago and I've already forgotten it.
    The dragon scene went on way too long and I lost interest.

i'm interested in the legacy cut Jackson has mentioned..All LOTR films and Hobbit films, with even more footage added in a super deluxe boxset..his mission with the Hobbit films was more about matching them to the LOTR films..Being faithful to the books was a close but secondary concern..

in a hundred years you could watch all 6 films, knowing nothing of the source material, and have a wonderful experience maybe

i'll definitely buy this Legacy edition if it happens though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

It's weird. I hated the 1st one, loved the 2nd one. I'm a massive Tolkien fan and I know its nothing like what's in the book but I really enjoyed the 2nd one as a movie, loved the pace of it, and the direction.

The one thing I hate though is how they portray Radagast. Really OTT childishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

david75 wrote: »
    i'm interested in the legacy cut Jackson has mentioned..All LOTR films and Hobbit films, with even more footage added in a super deluxe boxset..his mission with the Hobbit films was more about matching them to the LOTR films..Being faithful to the books was a close but secondary concern..

in a hundred years you could watch all 6 films, knowing nothing of the source material, and have a wonderful experience maybe

i'll definitely buy this Legacy edition if it happens though.

Nah, virtual reality conversion in post production isn't a patch on having it captured in true virtual reality with 256k orb drone cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭jones

.ak wrote: »
    It's weird. I hated the 1st one, loved the 2nd one. I'm a massive Tolkien fan and I know its nothing like what's in the book but I really enjoyed the 2nd one as a movie, loved the pace of it, and the direction.

The one thing I hate though is how they portray Radagast. Really OTT childishness.

I agree although I kinda liked the first one, I think moreso because it was an excuse to go back to middle earth. I loved the second one though and I know the end gets a lot of stick but I love how it was done.

I think Jackson is great at action scenes but does seem to get a bit over indulgent since the success of LOTR's maybe its because the extended edition LOTR's went down so well he's decided to just throw the kitchen sink at all his movies. Nearly all his films now seem a little too long to quote Bilbo baggins "like butter spread over too much bread".

Word from this is that he seems to be that he's left a lot of the film on the cutting room floor so it could be a case there will be a massive extended edition on bluray out next year but a slimmer version for the cinema.

Jackson's main flaw, for me, is his Lucas-esque obsession with CGI

LOTR had beautifully married practical and computer effects but from Kong on he just went all show with no substance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Jackson's main flaw, for me, is his Lucas-esque obsession with CGI

LOTR had beautifully married practical and computer effects but from Kong on he just went all show with no substance

Yes. Was looking at making of documentaries for the original Jurassic Park recently and it reminded me of the same thing. The effort and man hours that went into making animatronic creatures was insane, similar to the workload that went into the original LOTR trilogy when it came to prosthetics and makeup. Something huge has been lost by directors over reliance on CGI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭jones

Totally agree I saw something last year where they had one of the main orcs from DOS (cant remember his name but the one who's hunting the dwarfs) and it showed the actor in prosthetics versus the CGi version and the actor looked FAR better. But for some reason Jackson went CGI.

• Advertisement

Azog the Defiler?

Or was it Bolg by that stage?

Advertisement