Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Flora healthy?

Options
  • 11-10-2014 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

So basically what I want to know is, Is Flora the same as margarine, ie that stork stuff etc.?

I've been trying to find the answer to this but having great difficulty. I keep on hearing and am aware how bad margarine is. Highly processed, chemically engineered, full of trans fats. But is flora the same, as technically it would come under the heading of margarines, or is it better in some way as apparently it lowers cholesterol?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

maamom wrote: »
    So basically what I want to know is, Is Flora the same as margarine, ie that stork stuff etc.?

I've been trying to find the answer to this but having great difficulty. I keep on hearing and am aware how bad margarine is. Highly processed, chemically engineered, full of trans fats. But is flora the same, as technically it would come under the heading of margarines, or is it better in some way as apparently it lowers cholesterol?

Don't think so
    Just a bigger marketing budget

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

How much of it do you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭maamom

How much of it do you use?

Not a lot just the odd time in place of butter as both would be in the fridge.

But its just been kind of bugging me as it seems impossible to find out why margarine (a mix of oils made hard through chemical processes = trans fats) is the devil and flora (what appears to be the same process) is healthy and lowers cholesterol.

So just wondering if anyone knows the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

I wouldn't use it, its made up of 70% (i think) vegetable which in themselves aren't bad. But to make them solid at room temperature they have to be hydrogenated, which isn't regarded as a healthy.

If the type of butter you use is the biggest problem with your diet, you don't have much to worry about and you should just eat the butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

If you study economics you learn some products are perfect substitutes, which means other good provide the exact same benefits. This results in lower profit for producers. So they try to make their product "different". Flora made its product different, by making it in a way, that lowers cholesterol.

Butter is healthier than these processed spreads. Not everyone needs to have their cholesterol lowered. Like in the same way, not everyone should eat Gluten free, as its bad for some people. Use proper Butter and if you eat a decent diet you shouldnt have to worry about Cholesterol

• Advertisement
Advertisement