Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most embarrassing interview?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

kylith wrote: »
    At about the same age I went for an interview with Dunnes. That's where I learned that "Because I need money" is not the correct answer to "Why do you want to work here". You'd think that honesty would count for something.

You would think that, but sadly no. I'm sure alot of nice people work in HR and recruitment - the ones iv'e encounterd are blood sucking parasites seeking BS awnsers to BS questions - most don't even have the deceny to send a rejection email. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I'd love to try it now since we're both in very different areas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭cactuspaw

Had one where i had to do a presentation and the night before my housemate had a massive drama which i had to sort out. the interview was horrific. it was a very wet day, so i was soaked, the people interviewing me looked at me like i didnt have a clue what i was talking about and i was so shattered from the night before that i almost fell asleep. horrendous experience. needless to say i didnt get the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

--LOS-- wrote: »
    I did an interview for my twin sister before, we both had interviews there, she was abroad with too much work to come home for it, it was just a temporary clerical thing so if you appear like a normal person with half a brain you get the job. Brought 2 changes of clothes, put my fringe back in a hairband for one of the interviews. The panel commented of course, was I not there already or something, just said that was probably my twin sister, both had jobs for the summer grand.

Good story,but would have been funnier if ye were different sex twins.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭coopdog85

Had an interview for near enough my dream job. Arrived a good 25 minutes early, signed in with the secretary & was told to take a seat in the lobby area of the building by her. I sat there nervous as hell & just stared out the window psyching myself up for the interview I was about to nail. Next thing I hear a fella call my name & say "oh you decided to come in & see us did you? You're only 15 minutes late. C'mon while we still have time". The stupid cow of a secretary never scanned through my name & it was as if I had just got there 5 seconds before the guy came looking for me. I tried to explain myself on the way up to the interview but the guy was having none of it. I knew before I even set foot in the room I didn't get the job. Worse was yet to come...

I was basically getting the piss taken out of me in the interview. There was a girl probably my age on the panel & she had a really bad fake D4 accent, I must have had some look on my face because halfway through one of her questions she asked "sorry, am I boring you? Would you like me to stop". I didn't know what to say so after a good 10 seconds of stumbling I announced "well maybe yeah because I'm not getting this job am I?" Before I even finished the guy stood up & extended his hand for me to shake it. I just stood up & walked out I didn't even say anything.

Possibly the worst day of my life let alone the worst interview. Haven't got any confidence in interview situations since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Good story,but would have been funnier if ye were different sex twins.

Or if the sister got the job and she didn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

coopdog85 wrote: »
    Had an interview for near enough my dream job. Arrived a good 25 minutes early, signed in with the secretary & was told to take a seat in the lobby area of the building by her. I sat there nervous as hell & just stared out the window psyching myself up for the interview I was about to nail. Next thing I hear a fella call my name & say "oh you decided to come in & see us did you? You're only 15 minutes late. C'mon while we still have time". The stupid cow of a secretary never scanned through my name & it was as if I had just got there 5 seconds before the guy came looking for me. I tried to explain myself on the way up to the interview but the guy was having none of it. I knew before I even set foot in the room I didn't get the job. Worse was yet to come...

I was basically getting the piss taken out of me in the interview. There was a girl probably my age on the panel & she had a really bad fake D4 accent, I must have had some look on my face because halfway through one of her questions she asked "sorry, am I boring you? Would you like me to stop". I didn't know what to say so after a good 10 seconds of stumbling I announced "well maybe yeah because I'm not getting this job am I?" Before I even finished the guy stood up & extended his hand for me to shake it. I just stood up & walked out I didn't even say anything.

Possibly the worst day of my life let alone the worst interview. Haven't got any confidence in interview situations since.

Wouldn't let that bother you, they sound like a pair of clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Yeah but why else would you want to work in dunnes. For the high quality uniforms?
    At about the same age I went for an interview with Dunnes. That's where I learned that "Because I need money" is not the correct answer to "Why do you want to work here". You'd think that honesty would count for something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭thrashmetalfan

Applied for a job with a well known credit card company in county Leitrim a good few years ago. A few days later I had a telephone interview that evening with a lady who had absolutely no interest in me or the interview she was conducting, I had done all my research and answered everything as best I could. About 20 minutes later got another phone interview with a different girl who managed to do her job properly. the same questions were asked and I was able to answer them a bit better the second time round. Needless to say I was contacted the next day about coming in Monday morning for an interview.

I came in Monday morning and I went in for the interview. I answered my questions as best I could, I had researched the company online, I was presented well, properly suited and booted and I did not show any signs of nervousness. Unfortunately at the end of the interview the lady who was interviewing me got very very snidey towards me and said "Sure that was a load of big words you were using there" as the interview was being wrapped up. I just said I answered her questions as best I could and I left the building and went home, with what she had said on my mind all the way home. Needless to say, two days later, the rejection letter landed on the door mat and the date it was typed up was the day before, Tuesday.

After buying a computer, paying for a computer course to learn how to use it (this was all just so I could be eligible for the vacancy I had applied for) and applying for the job I was interviewed for, I get turned down by a someone who had no intention of letting me pass the interview from the moment I walked into the room, all this based on her own prejudice rather than on the way I conducted myself during said interview.

I am not saying that I without fault or infallible but I do know when I mess things up, and I take the blame for it and I know when I have done something right such as that interview on that day. Just thinking about it now makes me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I applied for an internal position once, and I was randomly called to the HR department one day for the interview. I had no time to prepare and it completely took me off guard so I was a nervous wreck and I'm usually OK at interviews.

In retrospect, I should have said diplomatically that it was unscheduled and could we do it at another time but I couldn't think straight.

Didn't get the position and it wasn't surprising based on my interview even though I still thought I was the better candidate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

coopdog85 wrote: »

Ah don't worry, you're not alone.

My worst interview was also my shortest.

I went for a position where a good friend of mine already worked so I was well up on the role and already knew most of the staff socially. I went in to see my mate before the interview and was told he was in the main office doing filing. So, in I went, past the secretaries, like I owned the place, sat in the big chair, like I owned it, played with the computer, like it was my own and had a go on this new-fangled internet doodad they'd just got in (it was 1996). "It'll never take off." says I confidently.

Just as we were about to go out for lunch, in walked the boss, who was supposed to be at a meeting across town only it got cancelled. He glared at me swinging about in his big leather chair and said something like "Haven't ye got anything else to be doing?" so we legged it.

I cam back for my interview, met the personnel manager and we did the usual pleasantries. Just then there was a knock on the door. It was the boss, who called the manager outside. About a minute later she came back in looking very red in the face and said "I'm afraid this interview is over." I just said "It was the office thing wasn't it?" She nodded and I left.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I once went for an interview in a bank and the HR person, full of undergraduate buzzwords, asked me to "sell myself". I said "man, I suck your dick for $5".

The interviewer said "excuse me?" and I said "i'll suck your dick for $10".

"Thats more like it" he said.

True story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

THEZAPPA wrote: »
    Needless to say it was awkward and they were laughing at me, didn't help they kept calling me the wrong name ( well my name with an a at the end)

but your name does have an a at the end? :confused:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Have two:

Few years ago I had an interview for some night shift toll operator job. Didn't really want it but was out of work at the time and it was going to the stage that I was really getting fed up out of work so I was a mixed bag going in.

Anyway, not unusual for a big recruitment drive they ran quite a bit over and I was well over an hour waiting. I get talking to a guy in the waiting room having a drink of Water and tell him to make himself comfortable they are running late. He screams out a big "sorry we're delaying you Mr. Ziedth" and storms out. turns out to of course be the MD taking a quick break and he was on the panel quickest and longest interview of my life.

The second story I have told before but here we go, I had a second round interview with the bank. Nailed the aptitude test and interview. I was told this second meeting was more an informal chat with my future manager and not to worry. I turn up as a know it all 18 year old and the conversation goes like this:

"So Ziedth would you consider yourself to be conscientious"?

Me not having a clue what the word means panics and stares at him blankly while I try and work out from his tone anything what it could mean. Eventually I decide to keep it vague and middle ground and hope it makes sense. "Why yes I definitely used to be but I discovered that you can be too conscientious and it can negatively effect your work"

He looks bewildered "er, can you elaborate on that for me?"

Me defeated "No..... No I can't"

To this day I still cringe thinking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭The Adversary

ziedth wrote: »
    Have two:

Few years ago I had an interview for some night shift toll operator job. Didn't really want it but was out of work at the time and it was going to the stage that I was really getting fed up out of work so I was a mixed bag going in.

Anyway, not unusual for a big recruitment drive they ran quite a bit over and I was well over an hour waiting. I get talking to a guy in the waiting room having a drink of Water and tell him to make himself comfortable they are running late. He screams out a big "sorry we're delaying you Mr. Ziedth" and storms out. turns out to of course be the MD taking a quick break and he was on the panel quickest and longest interview of my life.

The second story I have told before but here we go, I had a second round interview with the bank. Nailed the aptitude test and interview. I was told this second meeting was more an informal chat with my future manager and not to worry. I turn up as a know it all 18 year old and the conversation goes like this:

"So Ziedth would you consider yourself to be conscientious"?

Me not having a clue what the word means panics and stares at him blankly while I try and work out from his tone anything what it could mean. Eventually I decide to keep it vague and middle ground and hope it makes sense. "Why yes I definitely used to be but I discovered that you can be too conscientious and it can negatively effect your work"

He looks bewildered "er, can you elaborate on that for me?"

Me defeated "No..... No I can't"

Well, atleast you learned a new word! Silver linings and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

percy212 wrote: »
    Yeah but why else would you want to work in dunnes. For the high quality uniforms?
    An overwhelming desire to stack shelves for 8 hours a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

ziedth wrote: »

Don't. The correct answer was 'Conscientious, me? no, not at all', considering how the banking sector was actually run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

When the ESB were opening their white goods stores I decided to interview for a post.
    It was a 3 person panel, a 60yo woman who had clearly been on the booze the night before. The store manager who introduced himself as the "head honcho" and the area head who's first question to me was "how much did I expect to get paid'.
    I can't even remember if my arse actually touched the seat before I was standing up again and walked out the door
    Never had an interview as bad as that before or since

An overwhelming desire to stack shelves for 8 hours a day.

If you're lucky, that'll be the most dangerous thing you'd be doing.

A cousin of mine worked for Dunnes back in the 1980's. He was sent outside to "sort out" the trash compactor. It was completely overloaded so he had to get up on top and start pulling out stuff by hand. As he did so the machine started up. He scrambled out to find the junior manager standing there. "What's the matter with you? Get back in there and free it up!" Apparently, being inside a trash compactor while it's actually working is part of the duties at Dunnes Stores. When he refused to get back in, he was sacked on the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

A tale from the other side of the table.......

Until recently I worked for a public sector agency and we had some real doozies during the boom.......including

.......the girl who laughed and told us we were being ridiculous when we told her the starting salary - that was clearly mentioned in the ad - turns out she only applied for the job because the office was in the city centre and close to some of her favourite shops.

......the guy who berated us for a full five minutes because we were 10 minutes late starting his interview and he had another interview for job he was really interested in later in the afternoon and we were going to make him late.

......a few people who've burst into tears

......the girl who, when asked why did she want the job, told a story about dating then breaking up with her boss and now need to move on (bonus points for honesty)

......and the guy we interviewed on Skype who was getting prompts from his Mam!! We told him he had to be on his own for the interview and he said in a tone of desperation "I know, but she won't leave!!" We employed him because he did a killer second interview in person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

^^ Brilliant!

Jawgap wrote: »
    A tale from the other side of the table.......

Until recently I worked for a public sector agency and we had some real doozies during the boom.......including

.......the girl who laughed and told us we were being ridiculous when we told her the starting salary - that was clearly mentioned in the ad - turns out she only applied for the job because the office was in the city centre and close to some of her favourite shops.

That sounds like a former flatmate of mine's girlfriend. She went for an interview with a media company on the up, lots of swanking about with celebrities, learning all aspects of the television industry and getting paid a decent wage on top of it. Only, it was an 8.30 start and that's, like, waaaay too early to be getting out of bed for. So she told them as much at the interview and went back to her part time bar job instead as that was a mid-afternoon start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I've been to one where the daft cnut said I haven't read your cv.

It made me so fcuking cross afterwards.

Thank you I'm better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭twinytwo

That sounds like a former flatmate of mine's girlfriend. She went for an interview with a media company on the up, lots of swanking about with celebrities, learning all aspects of the television industry and getting paid a decent wage on top of it. Only, it was an 8.30 start and that's, like, waaaay too early to be getting out of bed for. So she told them as much at the interview and went back to her part time bar job instead as that was a mid-afternoon start.

HAHA da fuk?

Some crazy people out there.

I went for an interview with a multi national once... i had the luck to be interview by their head recruiter for europe.

Needless to say i was savagely under prepared.... got a my ass kicked for an hour.

I wanted to ask him can i just go... cause i knew i wasnt getting the job..

On the up side, i was never under prepared again!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

Don't pick up a glass and start pouring yourself a glass of water without checking glass is right way around :o

In an interview I thought I'd be assertive and pour myself a glass of water, as I drew it up to my mouth I saw a big manky purple lipstick smudge on it from the lady before me but by that time I was too far gone ... nearly got sick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Was in Australia for about a week when I got an interview for a design company, which went pretty well until the end.

As I was leaving, the door at the top of the stairs wouldn't open for me, I instantly noticed (and pressed) the little release switch beside the door. Only it wasn't for the door, it was for the lights...all of them...in the entire office, and I was supposed to be pushing the door instead of pulling it (or vice versa).

Didn't get that job strangely enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭SnitchingBubs

Had just graduated from college at the time and got an interview as an admin assistant at a company/council group that took care of forests and things like that.

Turned up for the interview on time and was lead to a canteen and told to wait there, which was fine. A manager comes in and looks to the person behind me(or so I thought) and says "We are ready for you now", cue silence and no noise of movement, so he repeats himself louder. I take a look around and there is no one else there but me. I look back at the manager and turns out he has a lazy eye and is apparently talking to me. I was mortified because it was totally obvious why I didn't get up.

Cut to the two panel interview where I am trying not to look the manager dead in the eye. Needless to say I didnt get the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

Bird ****e on back of dress. Only pointed out to me after I left the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

This one:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

I was going for an interview in the sports industry but was incredibly nervous beforehand so I met a friend in a cafe for a milkshake.
    I was bricking it so I took a wee dab of speed for the nerves. Pissed through the interview but for some strange reason I didnt hear back from them

Advertisement