Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labral Tear Surgery

Options
  • 10-10-2014 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

This is probably an addition to what is already on here, but having read some of the posts on here, have decided to add my own tale of woe. Looking for some advice as well from anyone who has suffered same injury. I damaged my hip close on 6 years ago, didn't realise it at the time, but had a labral tear - figured it out this year when i looked up hip pain on here! I was referred to to see Declan Bowler in the Mater Private in Cork, did the xrays and mri with contrast, and yep have a labral tear. He has recommended surgery to correct it, however in the meantime while I was waiting to hear the diagnosis, went to a physio, who said i shouldn't have surgery at all, but if I wanted - he would refer me - but to see Jonathan Bunn in SSC. Haven't done that, frankly, didn't like the physio's attitude (have seen a number of them in the last few years, none of whom picked up on what might be the problem - if I had a euro for every time they tried to sell me orthotics!!!!!). What it boils down to is this - has anyone been to either of these surgeons - what did they think of them, how was the operation and recovery. Finally, any and all comments and thoughts are totally welcome. Well done if you have made it this far!!! Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bsb1971

bump..........anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Paddymc249

bsb1971 wrote: »
    This is probably an addstition to what is already on here, but having read some of the posts on here, have decided to add my own tale of woe. Looking for some advice as well from anyone who has suffered same injury. I damaged my hip close on 6 years ago, didn't realise it at the time, but had a labral tear - figured it out this year when i looked up hip pain on here! I was referred to to see Declan Bowler in the Mater Private in Cork, did the xrays and mri with contrast, and yep have a labral tear. He has recommended surgery to correct it, however in the meantime while I was waiting to hear the diagnosis, went to a physio, who said i shouldn't have surgery at all, but if I wanted - he would refer me - but to see Jonathan Bunn in SSC. Haven't done that, frankly, didn't like the physio's attitude (have seen a number of them in the last few years, none of whom picked up on what might be the problem - if I had a euro for every time they tried to sell me orthotics!!!!!). What it boils down to is this - has anyone been to either of these surgeons - what did they think of them, how was the operation and recovery. Finally, any and all comments and thoughts are totally welcome. Well done if you have made it this far!!! Thanks in advance!

Stay away from bowler

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

I'm starting to become skeptical abt labral tear surgeries. Couple if years ago never heard of one. Now everyone seems to have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

thehamo wrote: »
    I'm starting to become skeptical abt labral tear surgeries. Couple if years ago never heard of one. Now everyone seems to have one.

No one had really heard of diabetes 20 years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

thehamo wrote: »

I LOL'd so hard...

I think we've probably just got better diagnostic technique and more open to surgery these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭andrea1983

Declan Bowler is an excellent sports surgeon. I'd definitely get a labral tear fixed if it's amenable to it (in the well vascularised part of the labrum)

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

Any update here? I have a labral tear in hip and have seen Mr Bunn. Surgery recommended.

Has anyone had this surgery and if so, how.did it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭GG21057

Did you have surgery Potsy? I am seeing Mr Bunn on the 19th for my hip labral tear. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

Have a look at this thread.

Mine was a tear due to an impingement on the femoral head (ball). My injury was not getting better. Still rehabbing. Jury is still out on whether I'm any better or possibly worse off! It might take 6-12 months.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057034000/8

Advertisement