Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you ever donate to charity?

Options
  • 10-10-2014 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭

I think I'll start, I usually have the odd fiver or tenner around that I'll only spend on bottles of coke and crap like that in the shop, think I'll just give it to MSF or somewhere in the future instead.

Do you donate to charity? :)

Do you donate regularly? 49 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 49 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Can't really afford to at the moment but I do volunteer my time for a charity close to my heart so that's my good deed right there. I'd be wary to be honest about giving money to a charity, you can never really be sure where its going can you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Just sperm.

And the charity is an old sock.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I don't donate to charities where the CEO earns more than the average industrial wage, so that rules out most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Does the 'ISIS Fund of International Solidarity' count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Sometimes yes but I'd much rather 3rd world countries try to sort out their own problems rather than go looking for handouts.

To give an example of some countries that regularly seek aid...Ethiopia...pretty much a dictatorship with no free speech...north korea...spends massively on pet projects such as nuclear weapons, satelites, theme parks for the rich, yet can't feed its own people, India likewise.

There should be no charity without conditions particularly around human rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I don't have any regular direct debit or anything set up but I always throw a few quid into collection tins for cancer or dogs trust or anything else that I come across. I usually throw in whatever change I have. It's better than nothing and I'll only spend it on crap anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

No I don't because I have no idea where the money is going and if it is going to the people who genuinely need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

I have a direct debit for wwf and I am planing to do a fund raiser at work for a local homeless charity for Halloween

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Of course I do, I donate absolutely loads, I'm great so I am. I like to keep it quiet though, don't like to brag.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Not normally.

Gave my son €2 for some childline breakfast thing they were having in school this morning.

Only other time I can recall was a few years back. Myself and my OH were going on holiday to New York and my Grandad insisted that I take some money from him towards the cost (which I didn't need), ended up taking it just to placate him on the condition that I would pay him back after we got home. Unfortunately he died before I got the chance to so I had a spare couple of hundred euro which I gave to the Salvation army as it was the only organization he felt was worth giving money to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

GarIT wrote: »
    I don't donate to charities where the CEO earns more than the average industrial wage, so that rules out most of them.

So which ones do you donate to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

GarIT wrote: »

But why? I imagine it's a very difficult job being the CEO of a massive charity organisation, perhaps employing someone who has a large salary, but is also very good at their job, isn't actually a bad thing? I imagine there's a better chance of a CEO on a high salary being great at their job and therefore actually bringing in a lot of money than a CEO on average industrial wage.

These CEO's could easily up and leave if their pay was cut, as long as they're doing a good job I don't really care if they're getting paid above the average industrial wage. Take MSF for example, their CEO is on €110000 a year, and in 2010 they raised €209116366, sounds like he's doing a good job, doesn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I have a standing order to the SVP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

I do like donating to the bank of "ME"

Charities are a business, people need to get paid, only a tiny percentage of the funds go where the people who donate think they're going to.

Wanna be charitable, give a tramp on the side of a road a tenner, bet few of you would do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

lil'bug wrote: »
    I have a direct debit for wwf and I am planing to do a fund raiser at work for a local homeless charity for Halloween

Those bleedin' wrestlers have enough money.

Deank wrote: »

Charities are a business, people need to get paid, only a tiny percentage of the funds go where the people who donate think they're going to.

Wanna be charitable, give a tramp on the side of a road a tenner, bet few of you would do that.

Go home, Jean.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I donate from time to time but only to stuff I feel strongly about and where I know that organisation/individual/whoever is really going to utilise that money and is in need of it, usually a smaller organisation where the people themselves are already giving as much as they can, no charity needs to get rich. People too flippantly give to popular charities or charities they really know nothing about who may have practises which are in conflict with their own. The ice bucket challenge took the biscuit ¬_¬

Giving your time is the better option, looking for something like that at the minute if it's feasible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

It is best to give to a registered charity where all the money goes to disadvantaged people, such as Eton College in the UK (No. 1139086).

--LOS-- wrote: »
    I donate from time to time but only to stuff I feel strongly about and where I know that organisation/individual/whoever is really going to utilise that money and is in need of it, usually a smaller organisation where the people themselves are already giving as much as they can, no charity needs to get rich. People too flippantly give to popular charities or charities they really know nothing about who may have practises which are in conflict with their own. The ice bucket challenge took the biscuit ¬_¬

Giving your time is the better option, looking for something like that at the minute if it's feasible

This shít just took the biscuit.
    100's of thousands spent on marketing, kindly get fúcked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

A bit like fund raising to go abroad to "build" houses spending thousands on flights even though you have zero building experience. What must the africans think? watching young ones going on holiday in the name of charity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

This shít just took the biscuit.
    100's of thousands spent on marketing, kindly get fúcked.

The WWF absolutely takes the piss...

one quick look at the site....

"how you can make a change"
      buy FSC labelled products
      buy sustainable forest products
      use responsibly sourced wood
      turn off electronics, burn less oil/gas
      recycle

How can you claim to care about the amazon rainforest and be completely oblivious to the number 1 cause of its destruction, animal ag. How about they tell people what not to buy instead of what to buy. They're a joke of an organisation and they don't need your money so stop making them rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 littlebuddy84

Yes I donate to animal charities but that's about it.

--LOS-- wrote: »
    The WWF absolutely takes the piss...

one quick look at the site....

"how you can make a change"
      buy FSC labelled products
      buy sustainable forest products
      use responsibly sourced wood
      turn off electronics, burn less oil/gas
      recycle

How can you claim to care about the amazon rainforest and be completely oblivious to the number 1 cause of its destruction, animal ag. How about they tell people what not to buy instead of what to buy. They're a joke of an organisation and they don't need your money so stop making them rich.

Probably use unrecycled paper to make their merchandise too :D :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

It is a sad indictment of our mammon-worshipping society that the most vulnerable depend on charity.

doc11 wrote: »
    A bit like fund raising to go abroad to "build" houses spending thousands on flights even though you have zero building experience. What must the africans think? watching young ones going on holiday in the name of charity.

And coming back here riddled with Ebola, fúcking do gooders.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not really but I give often to homeless around Galway.
    "Charity starts at home"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

And coming back here riddled with Ebola, fúcking do gooders.

I'm highly offended anyway, not sure about what yet but I get the feeling that post is offensive, I'll get back to you on it.

wazky wrote: »
    I'm highly offended anyway, not sure about what yet but I get the feeling that post is offensive, I'll get back to you on it.

Hopefully it's part of a round trip to Sierra Leone.

My favourite charity is Oxfam, they do fantastic work in many different areas.

Every couple of years I donate my (fast growing) hair to a charity that makes low-cost wigs for cancer sufferers and others who have lost their hair through illness. Real hair wigs are often unethical and usually cost thousands, putting them out of reach of many and this charity makes them at a fraction of the usual cost. I get people to sponsor my hair by the inch and then donate both the hair and the money raised over the two year cycle.

I try do it in spring because my neck feels very cold in winter when I sport the pixie cut :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

I never do......ever

Miserable fecker I must be

Advertisement