Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Run Late

Options
  • 09-10-2014 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

So I Got a text from a lady friend of mine, saying traffic was mental and that she was late dropping her son to school by 40 minutes because of it. Funny, because she is a 10 minute walk from the school, 15 at most. I slagged her, saying she could have walked instead of being stuck in traffic all that time. It's not like the weather was bad either. The huge number of parents driving their kids (often literally a 5 minute walk to the school) is beyond silly. Fine, if you're going from there to work, or somewhere else, but the vast majority are house mums. Where I live, they actually have started to park in the bus stop :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

When it comes to the school run do not make assumptions about what is logical. You will never meet people with less situational awareness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Yeah, f*ckin' breeders. *shakes fist*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I grew up in Kerry and everyone cycled, walked, took a bus.

I now live in Rathmines and the amount of 4x4 Soccer Moms dropping the Kids off to Marys in what is arguably one of the best public transport serviced areas in the country is mind blowing to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

School Run?

More like School Crawl

Will they ever learn?

Nah, because they'll never make it in time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

They're just afraid little Mary / Johnny would be kidnapped walking / cycling to school by some paedo in a white van offering them sweets.
    Fear is a huge factor their little darlings get driven to school... and also why obesity is a big problem with our children.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Would she have been making an onward journey after making the school drop maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Would she have been making an onward journey after making the school drop maybe?

Quit injecting reason into the cheap bile mixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its basically the Hunger Games of modern Ireland. (Apart from those genuinely hungry of course)

All civility and common sense goes out the window at school run times. Its a free for all, anarchy, the Guards and the school wardens have given up. The worst of people's ignorance and arrogance comes streaming out.

Short of closing the roads to schools at either end or towing offending vehicles en masse and confiscating them for a week, it will not get through peoples dumb heads that their kids aren't not going to dissolve like a disprin in some drizzle, come down with Ebola because its 6 degrees, disappear like Madeleine McCann, or that every adult is not a child offender in waiting.

The guys running the Luas did a shaming video yesterday of the kind of window lickers that walk aimlessly out in front of trams. Perhaps a shaming video by the Gardaí of 'school runs greatest t1ts' might be a good start...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The weight of my daughters schoolbag is shocking,even for a grown adult its too heavy to carry daily over a distance

cant see why secondary school kids are not using laptops

(there is no bus route to her school from the house and the road is too dangerous to let her cycle)

thats why she is driven

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Or, and this is probably crazy, they could ask the parents not to park cars near the school. Or they could encourage parents who live nearby or have kids old enough, to walk to school.

They did at my daughters' school and, being reasonable people, the vast majority of parents complied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

They really need to ban parking around schools and enforce it. The amount of folks who drop their little darlings by car when walking or cycling is an option is insane. We're raising a generation of lazy kids who see the car as the default option to get anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Paulzx

whiskeyman wrote: »
    They're just afraid little Mary / Johnny would be kidnapped walking / cycling to school by some paedo in a white van offering them sweets.
    Fear is a huge factor their little darlings get driven to school... and also why obesity is a big problem with our children.

Then why don't they walk themselves with the kids to school?

The bottom line is.....it's not the kids that have a problem walking to school. It's the parents that are too damn lazy to walk a 10 min journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

The weight of my daughters schoolbag is shocking,even for a grown adult its too heavy to carry daily over a distance

(there is no bus route to her school from the house and the road is too dangerous to let her cycle)

thats why she is driven

The weight of my school bag back in the day was equally as shocking but still managed to walk/cycle to school for the 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

thats why she is driven

My schoolbag was so heavy I used to get chest pains, the problem, I think, is in having 3 years curriculum in on book, my science book must have weighed a ton.

I still walked every day though, I had no other option. There were no buses and both my parents worked.

Make sure that your daughter has a good backpack, and that she uses both straps.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Don't assume all parents driving their kids to school are doing it because they are lazy, I drive my daughter to school, there is no direct bus route and the school is 15 kms away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

kylith wrote: »
    , my science book must have weighed a ton.

It didn't - that's why you failed science.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,297 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Perhaps a shaming video by the Gardaí of 'school runs greatest t1ts' might be a good start...

Giggity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I went to a private school and one day the teacher asked the class whose mother worked. And out of 25 of us, all mothers were working. Meaning it wasn't possible for mother's to drive their children to school unless they worked in the area of the school.

One incentive to stop child being dropped to school. Is schools could actually provide somewhere to keep a bike. Schools in Germany literally have hundreds of bike racks and basements to keep bikes dry. Here there is often just a railing( where you aren't allowed to lock your bike). Another option is giving a decent child fare on buses. Dublin bus school child fare had nearly doubled in 7 years. It's probably cheaper to drive your children the 5 minn journey instead of the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭JRant

We have a secondary school at the top of our road and the only word i can use to describe the carry on is "savages". If i don't leave the house by 8:10am i'm pretty much guaranteed to be blocked in by some dope.

There's no more an inconsiderate person than someone dropping their little darling off at school.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

While we're all witch-hunting people that may or may not be able to walk to school with their kids for whatever reason, can we also poll the people complaining abut the traffic being blocked as to whether they themselves might consider getting public transport or cycling to work themselves?

• Advertisement

The weight of my school bag back in the day was equally as shocking but still managed to walk/cycle to school for the 5 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Maybe if it was an actual school run we wouldn't have so many porky kids waddling about the place eh?

GET TO SCHOOL!!!! MUSH!!!! MUSH!!!! MUSH!!!!!!!

Same here for 8 years. Started walking/cycling in 5th class. I can see many chiropractor appointments in my future as a result

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Same here for 8 years. Started walking/cycling in 5th class. I can see many chiropractor appointments in my future as a result

Wheely shopping bags and paniers would save a lot of pain

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Wheeled bags are banned now in a lot of schools because they are a tripping hazard.

Physically maybe. But if you showed up in my school with a wheely bag you'd be seeing a therapist forever. Its a lose/lose situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

tritium wrote: »
    We're raising a generation of lazy kids who see the car as the default option to get anywhere.

Go on then, name one other way of getting around other than a car. You can't, can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Lots of people talking about DIRECT bus routes.

They have this thing called student cards that you can use to take two bus journeys.

Sure you can trust your kid to figure out how to walk from bus stop A to Bus stop B

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

eviltwin wrote: »
    Wheeled bags are banned now in a lot of schools because they are a tripping hazard.

Brilliant. I always assumed people were taking the piss about Irish schools banning kids from running but it seems to not actually be a joke. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Kids getting lifted and laid to school doesn't really bother me, it's what they do the rest of the day.

We were given a lift to school because we had to do a couple of hours work before we left and would have been late otherwise. Getting the chance to walk home was great because it meant there were no jobs waiting at home that you had to hurry back for.

Advertisement