Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life after death

Options
  • 08-10-2014 1:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭

telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/11144442/First-hint-of-life-after-death-in-biggest-ever-scientific-study.html

Fascinating study! Not sure I'd like to be prowling around dead looking at everything going on though!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I see dumb people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Is there wifi there?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

One short sleep past, we wake eternally

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

OSI wrote: »
    The study was very different to what the opening paragraph describes. It refers to patients who's heart had stopped beating and had it restarted. The brain doesn't instantly die after the heart stops beating, so obviously there is going to be some element of sensation or consciousness.

They state in the article that there is no brain function once the heart stops?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Is there wifi there?

Yes but you only have access using internet explorer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Yes but you only have access using internet explorer.
    Sounds like Hell, not Heaven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Sounds really interesting but I ain't got the time to cut and paste a link so I'll just have to keep on wondering I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

fxotoole wrote: »
    Sounds like Hell, not Heaven.

They said life after death, never said it would be a good life.

What happens if you use bing and IE at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Sounds really interesting but I ain't got the time to cut and paste a link so I'll just have to keep on wondering I suppose.

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/284/529/e65.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Heard about this on the radio "Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife"

Often thought of picking it up but never got round to it

I dont believe in cutting and pasting, it offends me.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

Sclosages wrote: »
    telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/11144442/First-hint-of-life-after-death-in-biggest-ever-scientific-study.html

Fascinating study! Not sure I'd like to be prowling around dead looking at everything going on though!

So a study which deals with cases of people who aren't actually dead claims there is life after death? Hmm...

So a study which deals with cases of people who aren't actually dead claims there is life after death? Hmm...

Eh, they were dead.

Eh, they were dead.

They were probably just napping.

How can you explain someone dead, lying with eyes closed presumably, being able to describe everything that happened in the three minutes before they resuscitated him?

How can you explain someone dead, lying with eyes closed presumably, being able to describe everything that happened in the three minutes before they resuscitated him?

Clearly they were just pretending to be dead and have eh..... x-ray vision.

Why aren't we talking about this as proof of x-ray vision is what I want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Vivid imagination?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They state in the article that there is no brain function once the heart stops?
    If there is no brain function, it can't be restarted. That's known as brain death.

Here's the actual study; which says something far different: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/10/141007092108.htm

The article poorly articulates the entire thing. When the heart stops beating, blood flow to the brain stops, which results in a drastic reduction of the amount of oxygen and glucose in the brain. This causes unconsciousness pretty quickly (consciouness requires a *lot* of energy to maintain), but there is still enough residual oxygen and glucose stored in the blood and cell tissues for the brain to continue operating its vital autonomic functions.
    Afaik, the structure of the brain has evolved in such a way that in the event of sudden loss of oxygen, your autonomic functions are the last to shut down.

In addition, the process of resuscitation artificially forces blood and oxygen to move through the body, not enough to bring back consciousness but enough to stave off brain cell deterioration if done properly.

So people whose hearts have stopped are not clinically dead (though that depends on the jurisdiction), and especially if resuscitation is being actively performed on them, there's every reason to believe that they can unconsciously hear and visualise what's going on around them, in much the same way that when you hear a beeping while you're asleep, you often assimilate that into the dream.

Individuals in this state would be much closer to a waking state than REM sleep, so their experiences would seem far more like a waking dream, and they visualise in their mind the sounds they're hearing at present and so believe they're standing in the room watching themselves being resuscitated. If their eyes are open during the process, they could also theoretically assimilate what they see, into their experience.

There's a very large and ongoing study around this which places "markers" in resus rooms in hospitals and then interviews those who claim to have had out-of-body experiences while being resuscitated (maybe it's this one).
    Not a single person has thus far been able to recall seeing any of these "markers" during their experience and in fact the level of detail recalled by anyone was exceptionally low. Just like a daydream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I feel a little bit dirty after being on the telegraph website, but at least it re-confirmed just how absolutely shockingly awful it is as a source for anything even remotely scientific.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

There's a bit of a flaw in the study in that these people weren't dead.
    Also if there is a heaven and a God then presumably he would know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Studies have repeatedly shown that all brain function ceases shortly after picking up The Telegraph. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Eh, they were dead.

Im not dead
    Im getting better
    I feel happpyyyy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

This is the AWARE study, right? Ask the people involved in the research if they think their results support evidence of life after death. I'd bet they say no.

From Wikipedia:
    As part of the study Parnia and colleagues have investigated out of body claims by using hidden targets placed on shelves that could only be seen from above.[141]

In 2014 Parnia issued a statement indicating that the first phase of the project has been completed and the results are undergoing peer review for publication in a medical journal.[142] No subjects saw the images mounted out of sight according to Parnia's early report of the results of the study at an American Heart Association meeting in November 2013. Only two out of the 152 patients reported any visual experiences, and one of them described events that could be verified.[143]

Sorry OP, and the Telegraph, but the research does not actually say what you want it to say. To the rest criticising the research, the same point. It does not say what is being claimed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

This is the AWARE study, right? Ask the people involved in the research if they think their results support evidence of life after death. I'd bet they say no.

From Wikipedia:

Sorry OP, and the Telegraph, but the research does not actually say what you want it to say. To the rest criticising the research, the same point. It does not say what is being claimed here.

So does that mean I take off the cilice and hair shirt and get up off my knees praying for forgiveness then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Hoop66

"praying for forgiveness", suuuure. That's what you were doing down there.

They were dead! If no-one had resuscitated them, they wouldn't have lived to tell the tale. So, they were dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭endacl

jimgoose wrote: »
    Studies have repeatedly shown that all brain function ceases shortly after picking up The Telegraph. :D

Wrong. Only the higher functions. Individuals reading the Telegraph have been shown to retain an ability to dribble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,589 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

They were dead! If no-one had resuscitated them, they wouldn't have lived to tell the tale. So, they were dead.

I put my head underwater in the bath last night. If I hadn't taken it out again, I wouldn't have lived to tell the tale. So, I was dead.

Advertisement