Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twin Peaks (2017) [Showtime/Sky Atlantic] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Been a long time since a TV show grabbed me so completely. Adore how it's in no rush whatsoever, happy to indulge every strange, amusing, terrifying or even beautiful idea and aside.

Episode 5 continues being superb. Favourite moment was that spectacular, ecstatic Amanda Seyfried close-up - the sort of expressive, cinematic image that separates Lynch from the pack. Special kudos to Naomi Watts - as Mullholland Drive proved, she is uniquely tuned in to Lynch's wavelength, and she's fitting right into this dream world.

That was my favourite part of the episode too, the Amanda Seyfried scene with I Love How You Love Me playing was perfection. :) And yes, we need more Naomi Watts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

All that said, and as someone who finds the abstract nature of this season pretty extraordinary, I don't think it is entirely without traditional hooks either. The Dougie stuff is taking its time, but its moving forward and offering clear resolution to a two-decade old cliffhanger (from a show always known for being a bit weird). Narrative arcs for several characters have emerged, as have a few central mysteries that Lynch and Frost are checking in on (most) episodes. That the show is happier to indulge in sizeable, odd asides is undoubtedly, shall we say, divisive - and I can easily see how this is frustrating to many viewers. But a defiant refusal to adhere to TV norms - commercially and formally - is one of its many pleasures for me so far :)

The season so far has been fantastic overall imo. As others have said the Amanda Seyfried car scene is fantastic. My main complaint at the moment is the Dougie stuff, it's become very grating at this stage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Lynch tells the story the way he wants. I think it is a good thing that he has been allowed complete artistic freedom, it separates TP from just about every other show out there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Soul destroying stuff, I feel like I'm wasting my time watching this to the point I've started skipping through scenes. It's just not feeling anything like Twin Peaks to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The darkest episode so far with the irritating sweetness of some characters being cancelled out by the unremitting nastiness of others. If ever this world needed the spiritual optimism of Dale Cooper its now. And yet even in Dougie form, you can see the old Dale shining through. A lot of musical score in this episode which I attribute to the first stirrings of old Dale within Dougie. His unconventional approach to the case files (drawing pictures all over them) is so Dale Cooper. He's even starting to look and dress more like himself.

I'm guessing that the pages Hawk found in the bathroom are extracts from Laura Palmer's diary containing Annie's message about good Dale being trapped in the Lodge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

I suppose it's just possible that at the end of 18 hours of this, I will concede that the amount of time taken so far on catatonic state Cooper will be just right. But I doubt it. Complete artistic freedom is not always a good thing - Star Wars Prequels spring to mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

My favourite quote:

"Jade gives two rides"
    "I bet she did"

Naomi Watts is brilliant in this. I was expecting her to have a cameo but it's looking more and more like she and her son will play into the story in a big way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭doxy

They need to draw a line under this Dougie/Zombie Cooper stuff immediately. It got old 2 episodes ago. It's ruining the entire show.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I am enjoying the show and Lynch's approach but I am also now hoping that they move on with the Coop/Duggie-zombie thing. We're a third of the way in and I'd like a bit more time with the Cooper we knew. Will Diane be the trigger to bring him back then?

I reckon Diane will be more involved with the Mr C storyline. They still don't know that the good Cooper was trapped in the Lodge, but I expect they will find out soon.

Even when old Cooper wakes up I expect he won't be quite himself or a twist will send the story spiralling off in another direction. Lynch's post-Twin Peaks work is defined by the lack of conventionally good and heroic male characters like Cooper. It's not a character that Lynch finds interesting. Even in the original series, Cooper in Lynch's hands was generally ineffective, failing to save anyone and ending up trapped in the Lodge. That doesn't mean 12 more episodes of The Dougie Jones Show, but the series is called The Return. Cooper will get back to Twin Peaks eventually but I don't think it will happen until the third act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

This is actually a central reason I find TV a less exciting medium than film, most of the time. TV is an aggressively commercial medium, and even great shows often slot neatly into broad generic markers (even a magnum opus like The Wire is a police / crime thriller at its heart, even if it ultimately transcends that)
    Why is that something to be criticised though? Crime is the natural state of humanity, only circumvented by civilisation and society. It's really not a surprise that the two finest television series ever made surround the inner workings of a New Jersey mafia organisation and a Baltimore drugs operation. The police/crime thriller part is not a problem, or a negative, of its self, but rather how its treated and portrayed by the creators of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Absolutely amazing season so far.

To be honest it feels more like a David Lynch magnum opus of everything he's done so far rather than a straight Twin Peaks follow up, but that's why I love it.

I can understand the quams about the Dougie storyline - I can't wait to see Agent Cooper back myself - but I'm enjoying those Dougie scenes for what they are rather than just as the build up to Cooper's return.

I'm so glad that they have the 18 episode run set in stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I wonder if a fan-edit could fix the boring scenes.

Read a comment on another message board which said you shouldn't judge it yet because it's only the first third of an 18 hours film...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

jpm4 wrote: »
    I suppose it's just possible that at the end of 18 hours of this, I will concede that the amount of time taken so far on catatonic state Cooper will be just right. But I doubt it. Complete artistic freedom is not always a good thing - Star Wars Prequels spring to mind.

I don't think you can compare Twin Peaks to the money grab prequels that Lucas made..

Read a comment on another message board which said you shouldn't judge it yet because it's only the first third of an 18 hours film...

I've seen people say this and it's nonsense. You absolutely can judge the show on the episodes aired to date and if you decide you don't like it you should stop watching it.

I could never understand people who watched Lost until the end despite only liking the first season. What did they think was going to happen in the last episode to make them like the preceding 90 hours? Nobody watches movies this way, yet with tv there seems to be some compulsion to hate-watch stuff.

I will watch it but I'm sitting out the next few weeks until reception seems to pick up. Haven't seen this week's yet.

It's just not very interesting right now and not really clear what it's trying to be about. Even the doldrums of season 2 had the black lodge mystery and the guy with the disguises who's name I've forgotten

Turpentine wrote: »
    Absolutely amazing season so far.

To be honest it feels more like a David Lynch magnum opus of everything he's done so far rather than a straight Twin Peaks follow up, but that's why I love it.

I can understand the quams about the Dougie storyline - I can't wait to see Agent Cooper back myself - but I'm enjoying those Dougie scenes for what they are rather than just as the build up to Cooper's return.

I'm so glad that they have the 18 episode run set in stone.

And that's why I don't like it. I can understand people appreciating it on it's own merits and see the worth in making it. But I just wish they had never decided to make it 'Twin Peaks' if it's to be like this, in fact I'd even be able to enjoy it if I could treat it as just a stand alone work, but I was expecting Twin Peaks and I want to see the old Twin Peaks.. all the little references and close to pointless cameos of the old characters are just a frustrating tease buried in an hour long slog.

I wonder if a fan-edit could fix the boring scenes.

Yeah, some self editing is pretty much my plan at this stage, I will just watch it 3-4 episodes at a time and skip through anything boring or dragged out.

I've seen people say this and it's nonsense. You absolutely can judge the show on the episodes aired to date and if you decide you don't like it you should stop watching it.

I could never understand people who watched Lost until the end despite only liking the first season. What did they think was going to happen in the last episode to make them like the preceding 90 hours? Nobody watches movies this way, yet with tv there seems to be some compulsion to hate-watch stuff.

Closure I'd say, tv shows, books and computers games have the space to tell more sprawling and in depth stories than movies and if you get invested at the start you want to know how it ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

mloc123 wrote: »
    I don't think you can compare Twin Peaks to the money grab prequels that Lucas made..

There are similarities - both hugely popular originals that both creators had to compromise their vision for (due to budget/technology limitations/studio pressure/whatever). When the makers eventually came back to their creations with essentially a blank cheque to do whatever they wanted, the results IMO are not even close.

Another thought - Mullholland Drive was originally a rejected TV pilot, so Lynch was forced into making it a film. Not his original intention, but ended up with arguably the most critically acclaimed film of the 21st century.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I hate-watch movies often; it's loadsa fun!

I hate-watch movies often; it's loadsa fun!

Yeah but they are probably sequels or adaptations or genre films that you have strong ideas about. Perhaps its the same with tv hate-watching to an extent. But I still think people are more likely to switch off a movie half way through than they are a tv show. Maybe as riffmongous said, the need for closure is stronger with tv because of the time investment. Movies are shorter and can be easily consumed in a single sitting, or you are paying for them and feel obliged to watch to them to the end. They are also more likely to be viewed in a communal setting or in the company of friends where the quality of the film is mostly irrelevant. Where as people are more likely to watch tv alone or in pairs where they could just switch to another station/stream or walk out of the room without it costing them a penny. It takes effort to hate-watch a tv show.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

People absolutely do watch films this way, either due to the sunk costs fallacy or blind optimism that a third act twist will salvage a thus-far mediocre film, particularly when it's a sequel to a film they love.

I think it's not that strange that people would be invested enough in Twin Peaks to want to know the outcome even if they hate the new episodes.

But it's probably best to sit it out until a few more are out and wait for some light spoilers or something. I remember hate-watching Dexter up until season 8 and having to tap out because season 8 was such a dip even by Dexter standards. Had like 5 episodes left.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,588 ✭✭✭✭briany

I can see the parallels between people wishing for the story of The Return to pick up, and ABC applying pressure to resolve certain mysteries surrounding Laura Palmer's death in the first two series. Presumably that pressure came about in part because ABC were worried about ratings as it slowly dawned on the audience that the investigations were only one component of the show and not the central focus.

In the same way, in series 3, Coop/Dougie Jones are the main thing of this revival, but maybe not the center. The other Cooper doesn't even appear in episode 6. It's very possible that the tracks being laid - some of them won't even go anywhere and their only purpose is to create a sensory experience for the viewer. Others still will go round and round, and some will go into a dark tunnel where we can't see what's happening.

I'd like to see a resolution to what is shaping up to be the main storyline, but at the same time, maybe neat endings were never the point of Twin Peaks, and in wanting a neat resolution, I'm of the mindset that helped drive TP off the rails back in the early 90s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

I'm amazed at the quality of bands they get to play in a small bar in a tiny town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

Don Murray (Dougie's boss) lookin good at 87.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,588 ✭✭✭✭briany

Great stuff this week. Feels like the pieces laid in place are really starting to be put into play. Much more of consecutive scenes that were linked and advancing some plot element and much less of scenes leaving you going, "Wait, what's this got to do with anything?"

I decided to go watch it after hearing it was a good episode and I really enjoyed it, it seemed more focused, and luckily for me it was focused on the stuff I wanted to see. The only thing I didn't like was the floor sweeping scene, but I guessed what was coming so I just skipped it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

Noticed something at the end of this week's episode!

Song playing in the diner at the end of the episode was a version of this:

Which was also used in a 1992 film Sleepwalkers: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105428/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 with Madchen Amick as one of the stars... just thought that seemed pretty cool! May be just coincidence :)

Really enjoyed the last 2 episodes!

Advertisement