Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Sniper - Bradley Cooper - Clint Eastwood Dir

Options
  • 03-10-2014 1:33pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is probably the best Movie trailer I have ever seen(or that I can remember). Very intense scene & makes me want to see more without doing the usual thing of giving away the whole plot of the movie.

It's based on Chris Kyle's autobiography, the most lethal sniper in American military history with 160 confirmed kills out of 255 claimed kills.

Really looking forward to this one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Saw this on Reddit earlier fantastic trailer.

I believe people advised against watching the second trailer as it revealed more?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭Corvo

Well, thats looks amazing

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Saw this on Reddit earlier fantastic trailer.

I believe people advised against watching the second trailer as it revealed more?

I heard that too, although I haven't actually seen a link for the second trailer but I am going to try stay away from it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Its based loosely on a true story. Dont think trailers are going to spoil it.
    The guy that killed him hasnt been up in court yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,673 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

This is a labor of love for Cooper and he looks impressive in the trailer, he cleverly seems to pick only Oscar baity roles now :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The trailer looks ok, sort of ruined with those flashback bits, a little bit cheesy.

Hopefully Eastwood can up his game from his last few efforts. 'Trouble With The Curve' was quite poor and the least interesting film he's done by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Looks like it's based on the Autobiography of 'American Sniper' Chris Kyle. His wikipedia article (obviously with Spoilers) is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Kyle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I read the autobiography last year and it's ok, I hope they tone down the movie a bit because your man Kyle was a real 'f**k yeh murica' type which I can't stand. The trailer looks good though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Dub_Steve

Great scene, will keep an eye out for the movie. Bio got great reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Latest trailer is out - thought the first trailer was perfect - but now can't wait for the release

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Tefral

Film is very like the Hurt Locker in the same vein as once he was out of a war zone he couldn't settle.

Bradley cooper did some job playing him. Well worth a watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭brevity

I like Bradley Cooper and he's doing a great job of trying out tougher roles. Could have easily gone down a different route after the success of The Hangover.

I'm not really a fan of Eastwood as a director though, he's a bit too obvious in what he is trying to portray and some of his casting choices are awful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

I abandoned this after 20 mins. Just didnt grab me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Any idea when it's out. Looks good. Bradley cooper has gone for more demanding roles recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    I abandoned this after 20 mins. Just didnt grab me.

You made the trip to the cinema than walked out after only 20 minutes? You get a refund?

ps3lover wrote: »
    You made the trip to the cinema than walked out after only 20 minutes? You get a refund?

I did! The popcorn was lovely though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Which cinema is showing it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Finally somebody actually *got popcorn :)

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Which cinema is showing it?

The one in Dallas. Im over here on a business trip.

:cool:

Really enjoyed it! Worth a watch & not a film to walk out on after 20...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

It's difficult to describe how bad this movie is. Fundamentally it's pure, unadulterated propaganda. It was like a serious version of Team America.

I expected big things and was very much looking forward to watching this but I'm genuinely astounded at how bad it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Genuinely surprised at some of the things I've been hearing from people about this movie. Personally, I thought it was very, very good.

It's one that isn't without flaws, mainly which lie with Eastwood & how the story is told but I have to say, the characters in it, the dialogue and Coopers performance were brilliant. Even with Eastwoods somewhat poor story telling, in the sense that certain scenes seem to be pegged into the story rather than seeming to fit seamlessly (namely the scene
    where the soldier thanks Chris at the tyre shop and talks to his son
    - I understand why Eastwood felt the need to put it in, but it just felt unnecessary to me. That said, Eastwood still absolutely nails the intense scenes. I haven't had my heart in my mouth that much since Breaking Bad finished, when it was tense it was unbearable.

The performance Cooper gives as a man clearly under strain is noteworthy and it's another example of how solid an actor he really is.

It's by no means a masterpiece, but for me, this movie has far less pitfalls than Lone Survivor & Fury (just using two recent war movies as a benchmark). That isn't to say it doesn't fall down in places but overall I preferred this to the others - it sucked me in more, it was tense, it dealt with the after effects and returning to normal life brilliantly.

Would highly recommend, 8/10 from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I really try to avoid trailers because these days they seem to spoil every movie ever... but I had to watch these two after reading some of the comments here... wow, great trailers! I'm looking forward to this but I really do fear it'll be a bit too "AMURICAH!"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I liked it.
    You could see the influence of Clint Eastwood in some of the set pieces. The scene with the father at the start about the sheepdog, that made me feel.

I've liked enemy at the gates and other sniper films because sniping brings such a different type of fighting into war. It was really well done in this. Cool to see how it may have been done over in Iraq.

I'm not sure if it was Eastwood or just the way the story was written but there was also the subtle lesson of how ****ed up war can be on those involved. He stared off into a blank TV hearing the noises of battle. He almost hit the dog. He would get twitchy about thing. His brother and a lot of others were all giving off attitude like "**** this ****" after enough time. There was the time to showcase the wounded, particularly the limb loss. How fruitloops the guy was talking to his son with it was clearly making him uncomfortable and he didn't want the attention. There was the **** that went on in the interpersonal relationship with the wife.

This was based off an autobiography and yes it did have a bunch off "Murca, **** Yah" but also a bunch of other elements.

next bit has a bigger spoiler:

If that was yer mans life, then that was his life. He was there, he shot a gun really well, his life went something along thoses lines and he is now dead. Film made.

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to this but I really do fear it'll be a bit too "AMURICAH!"

There is a bit of that of course but it's still worth the watch. I'm a bit of a Sniper enthusiast so I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's not the standard war film, it nearly focuses more on the issues these guys have to deal with in the home life.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭BohToffee

Amazing film... Bradley cooper played the part outstandingly well.

Good film but couple of things annoyed me:

Its based on the book fine but the chaps life was pretty epic and the end, so it could have focused on him from a different POV.

The parts outside of war showed glimpses of PTSD but never focused on it, because of the end i thought they should have focused on it more.
    The end was crap, i know the chap still hasnt stood trial but i think there a bigger story there and Chris helping the PTSD guys and bring them to ranges was rolled into a small clip.
    I think this movie should be made from other peoples perpective of him and include the end properly, granted the end is not known at this point noone really knows what happened and why only your man

Still a very good movie tho and Cooper is fantastic in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Honey Monster

Meh.

That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Honey Monster

Also:

Murica'

This whole thing is Murica propaganda.

• Advertisement

Also:

Murica'

This whole thing is Murica propaganda.

Its a movie based on a sniper who is in the top ten deadliest snipers in history, this movie is his book in video form pretty much word for word.

hence leaving out the "end" which i disliked.

Advertisement