Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bread vs Toast

Options
  • 02-10-2014 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

This is going to sound pretty strange but yesterday while making myself a slice a toast I wondered to myself if, for example, toast with just butter has the same nutritional value (or lack of) as bread with just butter.

I know that when you boil an egg the heat denatures the protein so if anyone could clarify whether bread or toast is better or worse for you, I would appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Daledge wrote: »
    This is going to sound pretty strange but yesterday while making myself a slice a toast I wondered to myself if, for example, toast with just butter has the same nutritional value (or lack of) as bread with just butter.
    It's the same.

I know that when you boil an egg the heat denatures the protein so if anyone could clarify whether bread or toast is better or worse for you, I would appreciate it.
    Cooking an egg (or cooking meat) denatures the proteins, but it doesn't change the nutritional values. The protein has changed, but its still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,754 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The posters in Nutrition & Diet will be better able to advise you on this topic.

Moved from Food & Drink.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Cooking an egg will increase the bioavailability of the protein vs drinking raw eggs. i.e. your body can make use the protein better. So the likes of bodybuilders eating eggs mainly for protein value should cook them.

Your body might make better use of food in other ways e.g. drinking a can of sweetcorn with no chewing, vs. blending sweetcorn to a fine pulp and eating it. The same calories go in, but the unchewed ones will pass out the other end so you do not get as much out of them.

Never heard any difference for toast, if it was burnt to a cinder it would change, but I expect normal toast would have negligible differences. It will drop a little in weight due to moisture losses during heating, so the values might increase a bit % weight wise, but per slice would be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Vaguely relevant article in the bastion of journalism that is The Daily Mail today ...

Advertisement