Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddy Holohan...

Options
  • 02-10-2014 2:17pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I don't understand why Paddy hasn't had more exposure tbh... the guy is astonishing. I've been driving his hype-train with a big conductors hat on me since I first saw him fight many years ago (back at the start of his ridiculous winning streak, which is still going).

His stand up is crisp and surgical, he finishes fighters in the first round. When he was on Cage Contender I would joke with him that he must be late for his bus or something because he finished quality opponents so fast.

And then there is his ground game, he's.... elastic. He's made out of Stretch Armstrong stuff... He has a ridiculous guard and is the most active fighter even off his back that I've seen.

Of all the fighters to come out of SBG, I'm the most excited to watch Paddy. Many people seem to be sleeping on him, but really... he has the makings of a champ imho.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mouthalmighty

All that and a shocking nice fella too. I watched him compete in the league many moons ago & his jits was slick then

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

DeVore wrote: »
    I don't understand why Paddy hasn't had more exposure tbh... the guy is astonishing. I've been driving his hype-train with a big conductors hat on me since I first saw him fight many years ago (back at the start of his ridiculous winning streak, which is still going).

His stand up is crisp and surgical, he finishes fighters in the first round. When he was on Cage Contender I would joke with him that he must be late for his bus or something because he finished quality opponents so fast.

And then there is his ground game, he's.... elastic. He's made out of Stretch Armstrong stuff... He has a ridiculous guard and is the most active fighter even off his back that I've seen.

Of all the fighters to come out of SBG, I'm the most excited to watch Paddy. Many people seem to be sleeping on him, but really... he has the makings of a champ imho.

I agree...genuinely excited to watch him fight. A champ in the making!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Paranoia Guard ftw! Like rolling with a really intelligent elastic band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

darced wrote: »
    He got easily held down by a wrestler in tuf and that killed a bit of the faith I had in him but in his natural division now he could be anything.

Its going to be interesting to see how he goes as its the weakest division in the UFC and a title shot can be got with a few good wins.

He was undersized big time in thst fight though wasn't he? Fighting in a bigger division so a strong wrestler is going to cause a much lighter guy a lot of problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

He fought that with a badly injured back

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

• Registered Users Posts: 29,487 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

SevereMMA wrote: »

Such a brilliant interview. Cannot wait to see how he gets on Saturday, will be just as nervous watching Cathal and Gunni just like in Dublin. Huge weekend for Irish MMA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Locomotion

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Such a brilliant interview. Cannot wait to see how he gets on Saturday, will be just as nervous watching Cathal and Gunni just like in Dublin. Huge weekend for Irish MMA!

Paddy is -288 against his new opponent now
    Gunni is -320
    Pendred is -137

All the Irish boys as the favourites this weekend. Looking forward to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

No difference?! Are you serious? He had two major back surgeries after and it'd been troubling him for a while coming up to it.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Can't believe his opponent just pulled out with 6 days to go. That's crap... it robs Paddy of the win almost because now its expected he will win since his opponent is stepping in at last minute (when he could be a monster for all anyone knows).

Gah! Anyway, WAR PADDY!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I'd let paddy speak for himself but pretty sure if the UFC knew what was wrong with him they wouldn't have let him fight that day. As far as i know he told them nothing was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,038 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He got easily held down by a wrestler in tuf and that killed a bit of the faith I had in him but in his natural division now he could be anything.

The only thing worse than fighting up a division, is fighting up a division against a wrestler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I just watched the fight again the other day, still a pretty close fight. I'd have scored it a draw after 2 rounds personally.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

That fight made me singularly angry.... Even Dana said "You can see how this guy has won 30 something of his fights...". it was spoiling tactics pure and simple but paddy said afterwards that he should have been able to counter it and he would work on that. Which I guess is the sign of a true competitor.

I want to see Paddy just destroy this guy tomorrow night :)

Just caught the weigh in there.
    Paddy's opponent was clearly concerned about making weight.
    Boxers off, eyes closed, praying, and a look of relief when they called 126.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Mellor wrote: »

To be expected really on such short notice.

Easy Rod wrote: »
    To be expected really on such short notice.
    I know he had a week or so to make weight. He can only make it if he's in fight condition.
    But that's not it. He didn't really look that dehydrated at all. It's like he didn't have much to cut, and just wanted to do the minimum.

Paddy, on the other hand, looked empty, and hit 125 bang on. I expect he'll look bigger in the cage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Mellor wrote: »

During the weigh in, yer man said "Your rainbow stops here" and Paddy laughed back "I don't believe in fairies ya SAP!" - Bet he went back to his hotel room and googled what sap means :pac::D:D

G'WAN THE HOOLIGAN!

I hope Paddy rips your mans arm clean off CLEAN OFF!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Should be another first round submission from Paddy

Axwell wrote: »
    Should be another first round submission from Paddy

Thanks again to you and your crew for the free month of fight pass. Its up in a few so will get to see ufc Sweden tonight. Hopefully halifax is added to it tomorrow.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

No worries lad, stuck in work doing an event from Japan but will be watching it on fight pass myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

What time can we expect Paddy on our screens? about 1 or so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Axwell wrote: »
    No worries lad, stuck in work doing an event from Japan but will be watching it on fight pass myself!

I never got my free month code, wasn't in my spam or anything :(

I dont have anything to do with the codes, those were given out by the UFC so nothing I can do to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

MagicIRL wrote: »
    During the weigh in, yer man said "Your rainbow stops here" and Paddy laughed back "I don't believe in fairies ya SAP!" - Bet he went back to his hotel room and googled what sap means :pac::D:D

G'WAN THE HOOLIGAN!

Proper Tallaght slang. I love this guy, he's a fantastic ambassador for the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

The prelims start at 1 on BT sport.

I presume he'd be on that right?

Advertisement