Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A higher state of cardiovascularness

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Green&Red wrote: »
    The heavier stuff is taking a while to dry alright this year

CW doesn't care at the moment as he's tanning himself in Portugal :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

The in-laws won't be happy with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

So you drop this when u actually start training hard?
    You are doing some savage mileage, especially with the swimming. Whats the aim for Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Green&Red wrote: »
    So you drop this when u actually start training hard?
    You are doing some savage mileage, especially with the swimming. Whats the aim for Galway?

Ha would you believe I had far more mileage done at this stage last year. I think its more panic than anything else that has me back training consistently. I think I may have got sick of it and burned out on the training coming up to the race last year so I am fantasizing that the little I have done so far since last July will have me chomping at the bit right up to the end of june!!!!

I will start this log up again fairly soon anyways - I can see the benefit of looking back on it when I was wondering what I was doing this time last year. I said I would wait till I was under training 80kgs again which was supposed to have been by end of january but it has taken me a good bit longer as you can see. I get like Ricky Hatton between fights :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Too much cake in Barna in late February?? To be fair, you were just trying to keep up with Gibbo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭griffin100

catweazle wrote: »
    Ha would you believe I had far more mileage done at this stage last year. I think its more panic than anything else that has me back training consistently. I think I may have got sick of it and burned out on the training coming up to the race last year so I am fantasizing that the little I have done so far since last July will have me chomping at the bit right up to the end of june!!!!

I will start this log up again fairly soon anyways - I can see the benefit of looking back on it when I was wondering what I was doing this time last year. I said I would wait till I was under training 80kgs again which was supposed to have been by end of january but it has taken me a good bit longer as you can see. I get like Ricky Hatton between fights :o

Jaysus, if you resserect this log I might even have to consider my own position. Not sure there's much to log on my end though!!

BTH wrote: »
    Too much cake in Barna in late February?? To be fair, you were just trying to keep up with Gibbo.

I was supposed to going cycling him with the day after and I was reminded of this excerpt from Tyler Hamilitons book watching Gibbo devour that birthday cake after pigging out on the chicken curry

Lance indulged himself by eating a piece of chocolate cake during a training camp. It must have been pretty good cake because Lance had another piece, then, unthinkably he ate a third. “The other Postal riders watched him eat with a sinking feeling: they know what was going to happen. The next day in training was supposed to be an easy day. But the cake changed that. Instead, Lance had the team do a brutal five-hour ride, to burn off the cake only he had eaten.”

Needless to say I made up some flimsy excuse and dodged the bike ride the following day :o

Not so much as a race report.....Shocking stuff. You've gone to the dogs. :D Hope you're recovering well. Fair play for sticking with it on Sunday. Kudos

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

If you'd seen the grin on his face coming out of the swim sub-60 you'd understand the lack of race report...he's still laughing with delight!! :D

sconhome wrote: »
    If you'd seen the grin on his face coming out of the swim sub-60 you'd understand the lack of race report...he's still laughing with delight!! :D

Lol and the ****ers lost my chip split and then give me a 1.01 time.........a full minute behind Mikes split time. I was on my second cup of tea by the time he came in! A race report will be done...........eventually!

• Advertisement

Will make a start on this and might have it done and dusted before the holidays are over - much easier to write this with a glass of red wine on a patio on holidays

Challenge Galway

The Lead up

After Ironman France last year I stopped training altogether, I wasn't far off 5/6 months doing nothing, I was just sick of it and I got into a rut then. I had started thinking of doing a 1/2 Ironman the following June and nothing really appealed to me, with the wife a teacher training going into the summer is a bitch for me as its easier to have the guarantee of structured training times with the childminder rather than working around herself and what suits from day to day.

I eventually got bullied by the mrs into doing the Full at Challenge Galway when I really had no interest in going long again.I think she was scared I would do something foolish (and expensive) like sign up for Austria or Roth etc

I tentatively started getting into slow training in December with a view to stepping it up in January, but then had issues with my arse muscles and running so that set me back again till january. After a month of butt clenches I was ready to go again, badly overweight but slowly getting some some consistency into my training again. Challenge then announced they were doing a 1/2 as well but I didn't like the way I was being screwed for switching down by them so I stayed at the full

Swimming

2 lads in the pool I go to then told me they had signed up as well, they had both only done sprint races before but they were hard workers in the pool, at the start I was far better than them in the pool but they were getting better and better every month. I decided that I was a little tired coming in from the race the previous year so I didn't worry too much about speed but I rarely did less than 4k a session from then on and I did far more swimming than last year. I finally got out and did a couple of open water swims the week before which were hairy enough with bad conditions but the thursday of the race it was calmer and I remember nailing an approx 2k swim at full bore and I was satisfied that I was in far better swim shape than 2015. I would go well here

Cycling

In february I finally switched my long rides to saturday and went out with the two lads and a few other they knew, I had to laugh on the first day I went out with them, 6.30am in the morning, 1 degrees on the Garmin, I had the full works on me - probably a grands worth of winter cold and wet gear that I have built up over the years and they arrive at the meeting point in bib shorts, one of them with GAA gloves and the other with some type of fingerless gloves. Off we head down to to Clare pissing rain all the way down and its ****ing snowing when we go up the first hills. They finally cracked at Ballyvaughan and we took shelter in a petrol station where they bought gardening gloves to replace the saturated gloves they had. One of the lads took a pull all the way home to keep warm and I realized he was a beast myself and the other lad was hanging on to him all the way -green they might have been but they were strong cyclists as well. We ended up going every saturday up to the race and it was probably my favourite session of the week, usually 5 or 6 of us out and always macho balls out at the turnaround home so it was very different to my solo rides every other year. April-May were tough months on the bike for me, I couldn't decide was I going backwards or they were just getting better and better as instead of doing more than my share of work at the time I was struggling holding on to them

The last few weeks things seemed to click for me again and I was delighted to see we had increased the average speed to over 30kph for a lot of these rides while feeling strong. The course was a bit of a disappointment for me, after France I thought any course I did would be far easier but the Galway route was a real ballbuster, very rolling with some of the faster downhill sections on bad road. Fanore to Galway could be superfast but only if the wind played ball if the wind was the other way it would be a long day. All in all although I would never admit it to the lads I was confident I could get under 6.30 here

Running

I never felt I was running well this year at any stage, I did 1 x 34k run and 5 or 6 30k runs but unlike last year they were all a slog and way down on my pace from last year. I tried to console myself that perhaps its because it was the day after my long bikes unlike last year when it was the day before. But this was my big worry coming into it more so than the swim and run

Having said all that I thought a sub 12 was on if I was able to hold it together on the run. The side bet was of the 3 regular guys I trained with, I thought one was far too good for me, the other two were beatable - and the three of them were first timers so they might get things wrong and I had an outside chance of beating all 3 if they messed up nutrition or pace. Whatever way it would work out I would be the rabbit in the traps as unless things went pear shaped on the swim I would have a healthy lead on them coming onto the bike. One might catch me on the bike but I thought if I had a decent lead on the other 2 I would be on the run ahead of them as well. However they were all far better runners than me so that's as good as it might have got for me as well :(

Enjoy the hols and the vino. No doubt it will flow freely as you're not training over there this year. :cool:

Swim Recap

A fairly miserable morning the day of the race - i messed up by not queuing for the jacks straight away, swanned around for a while then chatting and then went up to what I thought would be at my leisure to see only three toilets and a big Q, took ages of course. By the time I got done and back down the wife was well stressed as I was the only one walking around in my clothes, everyone else had wetsuits on and the stewards were pushing us towards the swim start. Legged the clothes on and ran down after them, ended up having plenty of time waiting around when I got there

I was fairly relaxed and looking forward to the swim, the TI official mentioned they tightened the buoys up to stay within the bay but no-one took this for any shortening of the course, it looked calm enough to me anyways

I pushed out into the water early which was a mistake as we were waiting a fair while for everyone and I started to shiver, probably should have gone a little higher up but I was towards the front in fairness

The siren went and we set off - this was a lovely swim for me, didn't miss one stroke I would suspect even with the odd bit of buffeting. Compared to France last year it was nothing and I stuck myself right in amongst the pack to try and get some draft benefits, once or twice i pushed hard to catch someones feet I thought would suit my pace, went out and around the first time and back around for the 2nd time, we kicked for home with the waves behind us and I started to go full bore to catch up with 3 or 4 swimmers that were ahead of me, once I caught them I started to day dream a little as it got easier to stay behind them and I decided it would be a bit pointless pushing on at that stage for the sake of a few seconds so besides an odd glance to make sure they were swimming straight i was content to be scratching away at the poor lads feet in front of me

Came in towards the pier and my first thoughts were I would have enjoyed another loop of it. It all felt very easy and it was a nice reward for the consistency and work in the pool this year. The announcer then started to congratulate us as sub 60 minutes swimmers and I am fairly sure he mentioned a time of 58 minutes as we were coming past. (A timing clock might have come in handy here :rolleyes:)

At the time I had mixed feelings hearing this I knew it must have been short obviously as I wouldn't be capable of going under an hour, however as regards going for a sub 12 it was great news for me but in relation to beating the others a shortened swim would do me no good as I reckoned I was putting big time into them out there

The 1/2 Ironman runners were all lined up along the transition run in waiting for their race and they were giving good support, I had no cramp issues and was feeling good so **** it I said I will run the 400/500 metres to transition so I sped off

I got caught when I went into the changing room, in my rush pre race I had forgotten to prep the bike and the bento box was in the bag along with the Garmin, assorted food and gels etc. So my transition was as poor as ever even though I hustled this year as I had to sort out all that before I headed off.

The official timing gives me 1.01.23 for the swim - i had to email a few days later looking for that time as it hadn't been posted at that stage, unsure whether they made a mistake or the announcer got mixed up with the official start time and was a few minutes off for everyone but I did see one or two guys who did come in after me being credited with faster times. In the end of it all it was short so I couldn't stand over a sub hour swim regardless I would be pushing my luck!

Anyways coming out from T1 on to the bike at 1.10 I was near 15 minutes better then France the previous year and I was feeling as fresh as a daisy so job done this year as regards the swim at least

Bike

I didn't bother with heart rate this year, i misplaced the strap early in the year and never bothered looking too hard for it again. It was pointless anyways as the weekend cycles were very random as regards effort.

I felt I had done enough over the years to know my limits anyways, I was confident coming in to this that I would do far better than the 7.15 in France last year, after a slow start in the new year I had done far more long cycles this year at a faster pace than last year and I knew I would be out of the water in good shape.

Set out with shades on which was a mistake and it was too dark for them and I spent ages trying to squeeze them into a pocket underneath my gilet on the way out, this was frustrating me as I ended up having to stop and unzip the gilet to get them in. Losing a minute there and then very quickly after that dropping the chain losing another couple had me fuming as it was probably the guts of cutting off an hour before some of them would catch me on the bike as they weren't going to be that much faster than me over the course

Besides that once I got going I was comfortable enough, was averaging around the 31-32kph for the first while down to Gort, couldn't decide what way the wind was going but it certainly wasn't against me. I had a shedload of Powerbars cookies and cream, I had these in France the year before and they were grand so I went with them again and I had the organizers isotonic that they were providing

The road from Gort to Boston is poor but I didn't really notice it either, there was plenty of action with the faster 70.3 lads flying by, out onto the main road and left again straight up the first real climb of the race, not a long one by any means but plenty of it is around 12% and I always used it as a gauge on the long bikes training to see how I am going. Not to bad I thought and trucked on - I was then nearly up the 2nd climb beside the Michael Cusack Centre and disaster struck when I heard a hissing sound from the front wheel and the tyre went down very quickly.

I grew despondent straight away and my head dropped- my own fault but I had never got a puncture on the deep dish wheels before and had never practiced with the co2 pump. I put it to the back of my mind and decided lets get the new tube in before worrying about it. I actually got it changed fairly quickly until I realized that at some stage the valve must have slipped out and was in the wheel, tried to see if I could get it back into position without taking the tyre off again but it was no use - for whatever reason probably my head I couldn't get the tyre off for ages - we are talking more than 10 minutes here i reckon. I saw one of the lads going by offering help and in my own head I thought I would have held him off till the run with the lead I had. Little did I realize that he wasn't 2nd out of the water from us like I expected so there was at least one if not two ahead of him at that stage. I waved him on - not fair to drag him into my meltdown I had everything I needed at that stage

From then on things went totally tits up with another two punctures after that which were my fault and was left in the end with no canisters or working co2 pump to change them - to make a long story short I reckoned I was not far off last in the race, in the arse end of nowhere and a 20k walk to get to the next aid station. So off I walked as it was better than standing in the pissing rain

Eventually a guy comes by and gives me a tube and is nice enough to wait till I have it changed, however all he has is a handpump and I cant get air into the deep sections so I let him go. I knew myself there was long odds of me seeing another racer that had a co2 pump at this stage

Eventually a real old guy comes past and starts chatting to me, I didn't even ask him did he have them but he started asking what I needed and he tells me he has a cannister stuck somewhere in his saddle bag but no pump so I took it anyways. At this stage I resign myself to walk to wherever the next house is and ring for a lift, I reckoned I was last now for sure. For whatever reason I try and work the pump one last time, I notice something in the bag and realised that a small nozzle attachment must have fallen out, screwed it on and it worked like a dream - these pumps are great things :o

So off I go again, I knew from the course I would have to make a decision at Ballyvaughan whether I finish up or not, the weather was miserable absolutely teeming down but in fairness it wasn't cold at least. Got to the turn off at Ballyvaughan where a friendly cop directing traffic said he would arrest me if I tried to go by him - it was only another 15k to the turnaround at Lisdoonvarna so I said another 30k wont kill me and would put off the decision to T2. I finally pass a few racers, one was a particularly good looking girl with a nose ring so chatting to her was a good way to break out of my misery. I borrow a phone off the marshal in Lisdoonvarna to tell the wife I would be running late as I knew she would be stressed looking at the live tracking.

I was just trying to keep it steady for the rest of the way, coming into the coast road at Oranmore was awful, the headwind was brutal and finally I could see Lough Atalia road. That bitch of a wife has positioned the two kids at the entrance to T2 with some Come on Daddy signs and the young lad in particular was well stoked up trying to hand me a gel

**** it anyways I cant quit in front of them - what kind of example would I be setting! I gave them a big hug - quick moan with the missus and went in to transition 2

I come in the door with my running gear to be greeted by a lad that I should have been way ahead of - hes a bit of a character so I stayed and had a bit of craic with him before we headed out on the run. I was well down obviously on where I expected to be but with the break in the bike I wasn't feeling too bad for the run

8.15 for the bike and 12 minutes for the transition - jaysus so much for a sub 6.30 bike :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭griffin100

What happened next? Hurry up and tell us. It's like waiting on the latest episode of Game Of Thrones...........

griffin100 wrote: »
    What happened next? Hurry up and tell us. It's like waiting on the latest episode of Game Of Thrones...........

It's akin to the RedB posts :D :pac:

pgibbo wrote: »
    It's akin to the RedB posts :D :pac:

Far from it - Redbs Ironman diary should have been syndicated on the papers it was that entertaining

Run

I started off on the run with yer man but we weren't even out of transition before he needed a ****e so i shuffled on. Last year I was on the hrm and kept it to 130s for more or less the whole race, this time I didn't have it and ran to an easy pace - after one or 2k i thought this easy pace would bring me under a 4 hour marathon but alas I faded towards the end of lap 3 and drifted out

Was nice to be running the prom but if they could get a small section cordoned off it would be great - you are always going to get the odd couple/crowd who wont make it easy for you to get by so it would be nice to jump into that area the odd time it gets busy

It was nice to run in with the family this year, Ironman doesn't allow it but the young lad was super psyched coming into the finishing straight even enough to give out to the little one saying she is too slow for daddy and himself

I came in at 4.06 i think, three minutes faster than last year but the nice break in the bike might have helped too

13.42 finish overall - I would have been disappointed last year if it was my first but I didn't lose any sleep over it at all this year. I suppose I was glad I finished after the fact for the kids.

I came out of this very well this time, nowhere near as stiff or exhausted as last year and strangely enough I am well motivated for next year - that's not to say I am doing any training over here - although I did hire a mountain bike and kiddies bike for the young lad and am doing some short running but I am hoping to have a go at a fast 1/2 next year. I would go long again but would prefer to give it a miss next year, work is getting very busy and there might be a lot of travel over the next year.

Hoping the lads I was training with this year will keep at it as I reckon a 1/2 Ironman could be very competitive between us next year - the shorter the race the better chance I have i reckon

My thoughts on the race were mostly positive, you always hear the complaints about the goody bags or the food after the race which shouldn't be such an issue to people signing up to these type of races, now while they should never have put in the 10% off some ****ty restaurant i cant remember the name of with for one person only in bold (what were they thinking) the t shirt was of a far higher quality than the one I got in France last year and the bag was nice. Exactly the same goody bag as what I got in IM France, the roads weren't fully closed in France either and neither was a problem for me anyways.

Not having time displays was a bit cheap coming in from each of the disciplines alright though

Aid stations were well stocked, volunteers were very friendly, course was well marshaled, support was good I thought it compared favorably to the IM I did last year. I liked the way they tried to make a weekend of it too with the Rock on the Docks

The weather was atrocious for the bike bit what does one expect in Ireland, you could have fried an egg on the road last year which isn't great either. I would hope they go again next year and I would be keen to do the 1/2

So all in all, 2 chalked up and hopefully the sub 12 will come in a take 3 attempt in a couple of years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Great account and story John. Sorry was laughing in sections too.
    Kinda made my Fri morning in work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Lisdoonvarna - is that where they have the annual buy-your-mate event?? Or something like that??? Or maybe I'm mistaken here...

I'm finally making my rounds...and fantastic report(s)....entertaining as always. And it sounds like you worked your patootie off training for the swim and bike in particular - so well done you. Pity things went all askew on the bike, but if anyone here could work their way out of a crappy situation in good humor it's you. No doubt you've got a sub 12 in you, so fingers crossed the next time you have a go at it all goes to plan. Again, well done and congratulations!!!! Whoop whoop! :)

I have been shamed by Ronanmacs 8 year absence into back logging again..................i do like to keep track of big events though and I haven't done one in a few years, so a brief reappearance for me

So Ironman Cascais 70.3

Why............ I have been to Lisbon a good few times for work and its a lovely city, in one of the visits I had some spare time and I was brought to Cascais for an afternoon and I was super impressed with the place. I was tempted to do it last year but it just didnt suit, but by all accounts it got good reviews last year. Lisbon is easy to get to and Cascais is about a 40 euro taxi ride from the airport or you could get a train from Lisbon if you really wanted to. Its very good value, anywhere that a double expresso is less then a euro I am interested in going and the drink wasnt much dearer.

Training........I think we got the turf home in early May which was the quickest ever so I cant blame the turf this year. I was going very well up to the end of june and I should really have targeted a sprint or Olympic race around then in case things went tits up as usual as I am well aware of the difficulties of me training in the Summer months

Swimming............ Same as usual, usually 3 sessions a week. I had a good Masters class on a monday morning which was always a hard session as I was in with two fish in the lane but that finished up in May and then it mainly went back to little focus and just doing the distance whenever I went. I came back from holidays in late August so I did a month of reasonably consistent swimming before the race. It wasnt a concern anyways to me, I am fairly one paced so was only looking at a minute or two whichever way I trained for it probably

Biking...............only two outside sessions all year for a grand total of 140k. I also did 2 weeks of mountain biking up a 8% trail over 8k in Spain on holidays. However it was still the bike where I had hoped for the most improvement on, I got a basic Halfords power Turbo for the bike which seemed to give low (I hope) but consistent readings once I didn't go at the bike and left it on it and I spent the sessions on Zwift programs. Coming back from holiday I did a 75k bike where I held 33/34kph for 2 hours and then fell off a cliff for the last 10k - however that was far faster then I had ever performed before for that distance before so I was hoping with nutrition and the right pace I would be ok

Running..........Again poor here, just running the 21k distance towards the end and never out of low heart range

So went to Lisbon in the friday evening flight with the mrs in tow, taxi to Cascais and we were there around 11pm. Straight down to the village and loads of people still eating so got a bite to eat there and headed home. Saturday colected the bike from Ship my Tri bike and registered, all as smooth as a button. Race startd at 7.30am on sunday, this was my first rolling swim start, I positoned myself around the middle of the sub 35 minute pack and off I went, lovely swim, I dont think I got touched at all which made me think did i position myself perfectly or arseways but a very uneventful swim in 34.20, a little bit surprised coming out when I saw the time, thought i would be faster with how well I thought it went but no big deal.

Transition was in a small stadium called the Hippodrome which was a 600m run, there was a swim exit bag option if you wanted to put runners on for it but I didn't see the point there was a carpet all the way to transition. As usual I was super slow, over 11 minutes

The bike was great - the first 35k was super fast with a litle tailwind and from memory I was holding over 36kph for that section, I think I held 31sh for the 15 back the way we came and then nosedived to 20kph for the next 15k of hills and rolling terrain, we went around the F1 circuit in Estoril as well which was cool but I didnt find it very easy as there was plenty of long drags in there. My average pace was down to the 30kph for 75k which I was getting a bit downcast at but the last 15k were superfast again so I got it back to an average of 32kph and 2.49 for just over 90k on my Garmin. I was happy with that, theres about 15-20k of hills but nothing outrageous but its probably not the fastest of courses but it was a lovely cycle all the same between the ocean road, the national park and the F1 circuit

I came back in for another slow transition, think I was about 8 minutes, I have always put on bike shorts and tops for the 70.3s and Ironman races but it is killing my times particularly when I am nearly out of transition and realise I am still wearing my bib pants so back in i have to go

The run I found very tough and it was starting to heat up a little, if you were doing this as a straight 1/2 marathon course you would say it was fairly flat but after 90k on the bike it felt like a very hilly course, 3 decent drags that had to be done 12 times on the 2 lap out and back course, once again I was in the 1.50s for the run, I should be a lot quicker if I put the effort in on training

All in all another mid 5.30s 70.3 time, although I think this course was the hardest I have done so I am happy enough with it. Looking to do a faster one next year and I have my eye on Les Sable d'olonne in France its a new one in June which looks fast and I have heard is a great spot. However the wife loved Cascais and is pushing to go back there again next year, having the wifes seal of approval is a big carrot to dangle - I must admit it was nice to have the turf stress well out of the way before race day this time and I would have no problem in doing Cascais again however its hard to keep going through the summer with the holidays and the kids off school too, so we will see but I would like another go at this distance again next year, its a nice training schedule compared to the 6 hour + bikes of a full

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Delighted to have inspired your logging comeback! As comeback logging fodder goes, however, a 70.3 in Portugal is slightly more impressive and glamorous than a sprint in north Limerick.
    Fair play, it sounds like a fantastic place to race...

Advertisement