Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Rain, localised flooding possible Fri into Sat, October 3rd & 4th

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

MrFrisp wrote: »
    17.2 here in Cork for now.

Bit of drizzle here and there, but the ground is barely wet.

Was expecting a lot more to be honest.

Is there more on the way?

More on the way this afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

leahyl wrote: »

Fantastic.

Looking forward to it.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

leahyl wrote: »

feels like being in a car wash here at the moment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Well that was a nice shower. Quite brief but heavy.

I've 10mm in the jar, WS says 11.7mm and a 32mm/hr @12:23

Nice heave but not monsoon like. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

northgirl wrote: »
    feels like being in a car wash here at the moment :D

Hope the windows are closed?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Not that much rain has fallen in my vinicity near Limerick City. Could be in for some heavy outbreaks this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Lumi wrote: »
    The OP set the warning level for this thread.
    The amateur forecasters on the forum follow the same criterion as Met Eireann/MeteoAlarm - you can read up all of the details regarding parameters etc by following the link
    This is a Discussion Board and not an official weather warning provider - we just use the warning levels to highlight a potentially significant event

Mod Note
    Lets get back on topic now please - the thread is for discussing the impending spell of wind and rain and not for debating warning levels

With all due respect Moderator I was not debating warning levels I was simply trying to understand them. Users need to understand what is being presented or it is of little use.

Is there a thread where these Warning Levels originated within Boards?

A line by line response to my queries above would suggest some differences with "official" warnings which you say is the case and the last thing that is needed is conflicting "warnings" particularly in severe weather conditions, albeit to a limited audience.

Surely we do not want this to escalate into a situation whereby different information outlets are issuing different alerts and only confusing the public at large.

There is at least one case, quite some time back - not sure whether I could find it or not - whereby a media outlet gave a different track for a TS coming onshore in one of the US Gulf States, to what the NWS was giving. The end result was chaos.

There was a clear Mod instruction to stay on topic - you chose to ignore that. Don't post in this thread again please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

The balcony decking finally getting a badly needed wash :D

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

very heavy Rain in Dublin City Centre. Wouldn't be surprised if we hear a rumble of thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I thought I saw a faint flash of lightning over West Dublin around 4pm as I was travelling in along the M4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Tipping down relentlessly in Terenure the last few hours, still quite mild though

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Tralee: Got a high temp of 17.8C at 03.33 just before the front arrived and it dropped steadily thereafter to its lowest temp at 11.30 ( 11.4C ) and 11.7C atm.

Had 5.8mm of rain as the front passed over followed by a brief early morning lull and resumed raining late morning until late afternoon with another 7mm bringing total so far to 12.8C. Damp overcast evening.

Totally calm now ( got a gust of 58 kph at 02.37 )
    RH 93%

Bar 1010.7mb Falling Slowly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Interesting Meteorite, a gust of 57 kph at 2.37 and a max of 17.8c at 3.33 - classic Fohn conditions with the Reeks to your south.
    17mm so far in my back yard but not raining now as another pulse approaches from the SW.
    * 17.8 at that hour is remarkable at any time of year!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rain total for the day has now reached 25.0mm (in South Dublin). 1.0mm more than the entire month of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Rain total for the day has now reached 25.0mm (in South Dublin). 1.0mm more than the entire month of September.
    I would say im similar up the road from you. Still pelting down

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Another pulse heading northeast and intensifying! After it passes,we are into a cool Autumnal polar maritime airmass.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

how did this get so intense ? it wasn't like that earlier on the radar

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Indian summer is officially over.Autumn has arrived. With our stuck weather lately October may be a washout.
    I recorded 28mm up to midnight. Looks like plenty more on the way.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

This will be obvious to weather forum regulars, just posting it for the more casual visitors to our little corner of cyber-space ...

Further rainfalls of 10-20 mm are likely in the southeast from now to about 0400h. Roads in flat poorly-drained areas will probably develop considerable surface water and some ponding, be very cautious if travelling late tonight in Carlow, Laois, Kilkenny, Waterford, Wexford, Wicklow, Kildare and Dublin -- hydroplaning potential will be considerable at higher speeds. Fog may reduce visibility towards the end of the rainfall event. Expect a lot of splash from larger vehicles overtaking you, etc.

In other words, a typical Vancouver commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

29mm recorded here in Naas. Still raining

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Video wrote: »
    how did this get so intense ? it wasn't like that earlier on the radar
    a wave depression.
    25mm so far , an even inch in old currency. I love a decent drop of rain for the garden but now that we're past the equinox and the growing season is over it means nothing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Event finally over here, 40mm rain recorded from start to finish. Can get planting my spring bulbs this weekend now the ground won't be rock hard anymore!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Supercell wrote: »
    Event finally over here, 40mm rain recorded from start to finish.

Ended up with 39.4mm here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

0Z GFS is showing strong inland gusts of up to 100-110 km/h for Sunday night - Monday morning.

JcZFfl4.gif

Just one run of one model so not starting a thread yet but those types of winds are strong for inland regions and easily enough to bring down trees at this time of year. Worth keeping an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Should make running through Dublin City interesting on Monday morning !

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

0Z GFS is showing strong inland gusts of up to 100-110 km/h for Sunday night - Monday morning.

JcZFfl4.gif

Just one run of one model so not starting a thread yet but those types of winds are strong for inland regions and easily enough to bring down trees at this time of year. Worth keeping an eye on.

where did you get that animated gif? i've been using the wrong sites :rolleyes:

Advertisement