Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sauerkraut

Options
  • 01-10-2014 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Saw a jar of the Almar brand in Dunnes the other day, about 3 ingredients on the back of it but it's pasteurized which is seemingly not a good thing. Anything to be gained from eating it or is it useless in that form? Open to alternatives obviously (except for making my own, because I suck at things like that).

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

You won't be able to buy unpastuerised sauerkraut in a jar as they must heat it to jar it.

Pastuerised sauerkraut is fine, it's tasty and good for you but won't have the probiotic benefits of unpastuerised.

I bought a crock, I've tried to make it twice now but both times the water level dipped too low and I had to chuck it, even though it smelled amazing.

Gonna try again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 jtthom

Ah! Any recommended unpasteurized brands, if I do stumble across them?

Good for you as in I'll still be getting vit c/k and iron even if it is pasteurized?

jtthom wrote: »
    Ah! Any recommended unpasteurized brands, if I do stumble across them?

Good for you as in I'll still be getting vit c/k and iron even if it is pasteurized?

This crowd do it:

http://www.rawhealth.uk.com/product-562-7.html

Most shop sauerkraut isn't fermented, it's just packaged in vinegar. Not sure of any pastuerised brand that are fermented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Is it possible to make easily yourself?
    I suspect it cant be difficult? in any kitchen? I mean it was made how it was prior to refrigeration I guess to aid storage?
    Any guides or do you have to buy an active bacteria to aid making it?

I tried a few places but it wasnt stocked, not in Tesco, Lidl or Aldi, I was then thinking maybe of a Polish shop, not sure where there's one near, think a few in Clondalkin. I'll try Dunnes but now I'm beginning to suspect none of them will have the benefits of a natural/fermented type, ie not swimming in vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adventure Pout

Sauerkraut is not that difficult to make..it is just another fermented vegetable.
    You just need cabbage, unrefined sea salt (celtic, La Guerande), a mason jar (you can find the kilner one for a few quids) and non-chlorine water.

That's all..
    Google will give you plenty of examples to make your own.
    You'll get all the probiotics, vitamins and minerals for making your own.
    And it tastes much better..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

Sauerkraut is not that difficult to make..it is just another fermented vegetable.
    You just need cabbage, unrefined sea salt (celtic, La Guerande), a mason jar (you can find the kilner one for a few quids) and non-chlorine water.

That's all..
    Google will give you plenty of examples to make your own.
    You'll get all the probiotics, vitamins and minerals for making your own.
    And it tastes much better..

Oh, I think that's where my ferment is going wrong. I'm using cool-boiled water, is that the same thing?

Advertisement