Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miles & kilometres: why do so many people still reference miles?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

I have thought for a long time that Ireland should formally make an "Irish Pint" = 500ml. It could of course still be called a pint, but it would in effect be a metric measure, (and cut down on drinking!) :D

No doubt said "metric pint" would carry same level of excise duty, so it's win-win situation for Enda and the lads.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

dubhthach wrote: »
    No doubt said "metric pint" would carry same level of excise duty, so it's win-win situation for Enda and the lads.

Excise is charged per hectolitre already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Going off topic here but I think even the most ardent republican would have to admit that Britain and Ireland share a lot of common heritage and nothing with most of Europe.

Heritage? Such as? From what I can see Ireland fits into standard European model from the stone age right up until to now. Unsurprisingly genetically aside from our fellow islanders in Britain our closest relatives are the French (the english are more shifted towards the Dutch in comparison).

People seem to forget that we had our customary measurements for distance (Irish mile) and area (Irish acre) up until relatively recently (3-4 generations ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

MYOB wrote: »
    Excise is charged per hectolitre already.

Which isn't a SI unit...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭mackerski

Which isn't a SI unit...

Indeed not, but I bet you could express it in simple multipliers of one if you really tried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

Which isn't a SI unit...
    The litre is a non-SI unit accepted for use with the SI. There's no reason why you couldn't use the prefix of your choosing with it either. This is all there in the SI Brochure, if you care to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

This is probably the only thread where a similar gripe of mine fits in. Metric versus imperial units for area. I'm not necessarily talking about day to day use like x square ft of carpet for the sitting room, or farmers talking about acres of land. Legally, all land is sold or given planning permission using the metric system. However newspapers (IT I'm looking at you) will usually refer to office rents costing €40/sqft, or a plot of land being 2.47 acres, and even a development being x units/acre. You're lucky if they give a metric equivalent, and in many cases it will be incorrectly calculated. Every professional will use metric, unless they're very old school.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Aard wrote: »
    This is probably the only thread where a similar gripe of mine fits in. Metric versus imperial units for area. I'm not necessarily talking about day to day use like x square ft of carpet for the sitting room, or farmers talking about acres of land. Legally, all land is sold or given planning permission using the metric system. However newspapers (IT I'm looking at you) will usually refer to office rents costing €40/sqft, or a plot of land being 2.47 acres, and even a development being x units/acre. You're lucky if they give a metric equivalent, and in many cases it will be incorrectly calculated. Every professional will use metric, unless they're very old school.

But sher there's ten square feet in a square metre, tis the metric system I tells ya*

*good enough for any fermi estimation and better than yards/metres equivalence

I'm probably engineering too long to be dealing with ten to the power of something not divisible by 3, leaving too many digits to be worrying about.

In France they use Ares as a unit of area of a house....

Standards are great, there's so many to choose from.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Enda could be remembered for reducing the size of the pint AND water metering! Quite a legacy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Going off topic here but I think even the most ardent republican would have to admit that Britain and Ireland share a lot of common heritage and nothing with most of Europe.

That's probably one of the most historically ignorant assertions I've ever read on this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

From recollection, a short in the UK is 25 ml, in Ireland it is 35 ml
    1/2 a gil is 71 ml, are you drinking Irish doubles

Damn right! :D

Advertisement