Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum wage increased to 11.50

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

candytog wrote: »
    The minimum wage is currently €3.75 by the way.

Jesus are you living in Louth or something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭crannglas

jay-me wrote: »
    There's a debate ongoing about increasing the minimum wage to 11.50 an hour. While this might be appealing to those on minimum wage, it would cripple small to medium sized businesses.

As it stands food is at an all time low, utility bills have gone up but there is a lot less waste than before and my bills have reflected this. The one area that has really soared is the rental sector. Rents are currently off the wall in Dublin where the highest demand is, and thus landlords will be the main beneficiary's of this higher income!

Funny how they were the ones milking it right through the boom and collapse and the ones with the cash put by to buy up all the cheap property of recent times.

They will also prosper greatly from this as the increased wages will cause an influx of migrants looking for a better life who will gladly pay the exorbitant rent prices that in turn will go up even more with the increased demand. Even after rent food and whatever else they will have a lot of money saved to bring home where it will be worth a lot more

Just the rich getting richer.. Nothing new here!
    ]
    Doesn't matter if increased or not. It just means that higher end wages will increase, there fore cost living will triple so that humans on lower wages will continue to be the dogs body. And as per usual the masses will bow down to politicians and wealthy allowing them to lock people up for a TV licence or soon water charges. And life carries on and we die.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I'm sorry, were we discussing the historical or political history of developing nations? We can get into that if you desire but no, we were 'specifically' talking about sweatshops and the fact that large corps pay children to make products that they then sell at vast markups in the west.

For someone who chastises others for making 'shoddy arguments' you really ought to listen to your own advice more, for you didn't deal with any information I presented in my post. And while we are at it, let us deal with facts as they stand currently i.e that large very profitable organisations exploit children for their own gain and you will literally jump through hoops to justify it. Cite Krugman all you want, is simply defence of the indefensible.

That you don't see this as a problem, and infact see it as a solution is your own problem. When a much simpler solution, a more ethical one is to raise wages, but we can't be having that now can we? Not when someone else can squeeze an extra few dollars a day profit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

That's all true but globalisation was not sold to western workers as "this will make you poorer but help eliminate global poverty", but that's pretty much how its turned out. Personally I think its a good trade off but somehow I doubt the average european or American feels the same. Meanwhile the increase in global labour supply has benefited business owners greatly.

Imo, one way or another, the low paid are going to want a share of economic growth in future, whether through higher wages or some other policy such as negative tax rates similar to in the US.

Well done, very nice tirade, it's a shame it's bull**** and just another means to justify something that should offend all sensibilities.

Just for fun I did a little math. I found a few sources that state that in some of these countries a child worker earns on average about £20 per month, sometimes in environments that are dangerous or detrimental to their health.

Anyway let's see.... Assuming we conservatively say they work 40 hours a week (it's many more in reality), that equates to 0.125 pence per hour of labour. So let's say we modestly DOUBLE wages to 0.25p/hr you could have 100 children work in a factory for an entire year and your total labour cost is a staggering £52,000. How many minutes do you have to work for the same remuneration?

It's no fúcking wonder you are defending it, labour that cheap is insane, it's vile that anyone could promote this and at the same time try and blame labour unions, how cheap and low can you get? Have you no sense of shame?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Tigersliding

karma_ wrote: »
    Well done, very nice tirade, it's a shame it's bull**** and just another means to justify something that should offend all sensibilities.

Just for fun I did a little math. I found a few sources that state that in some of these countries a child worker earns on average about £20 per month, sometimes in environments that are dangerous or detrimental to their health.

Anyway let's see.... Assuming we conservatively say they work 40 hours a week (it's many more in reality), that equates to 0.125 pence per hour of labour. So let's say we modestly DOUBLE wages to 0.25p/hr you could have 100 children work in a factory for an entire year and your total labour cost is a staggering £52,000. How many minutes do you have to work for the same remuneration?

It's no fúcking wonder you are defending it, labour that cheap is insane, it's vile that anyone could promote this and at the same time try and blame labour unions, how cheap and low can you get? Have you no sense of shame?

All you are doing is critizing and being emotive. You haben't actually countered any of the points he made.

Are you saying people in third world countries would be better off without sweatshops? If so, Why? Consider the complex Web of cause and effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

I'm sure companies like Apple, which had a quarterly net profit of $7.7 billion, could afford to pay developing-country workers a shítload more money, without changing the price of any of their products, while still being able to gain a healthy profit overall.

Where can the source of increased worker wages come from, either on the domestic or international scale? Corporate profits.

• Advertisement

All you are doing is critizing and being emotive. You haben't actually countered any of the points he made.

Are you saying people in third world countries would be better off without sweatshops? If so, Why? Consider the complex Web of cause and effect.

So we have someone arguing that somewhere in the region of 0.25p/hr is unrealistically high wages but the problem is with me? Right-O fella, good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

So we have someone arguing that somewhere in the region of 0.25p/hr is unrealistically high wages but the problem is with me? Right-O fella, good one.

He didn't say that. He said shutting down the sweatshops wouldn't benefit anyone and would actually hurt the workers who would now be forced into other even less desirable lines of work.

He also said the primitive industrialization sweatshops represent are an important first step in developing a first world economy and backed up that assertion by quoting a noble prize winning economist.

Western trade unions want sweatshops shut down to protect the wages of their members they couldn't care less about Bangledeshi workers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It seems a bit silly to be comparing wages of vastly different countries and costs of living as if they're similar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Tigersliding

If the alternative is scavenging through bins for food then those sweatshops are a very important alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Well quite. But the fact is western workers are worse off, which is not what they were told would happen
    The increase in the global labor supply, which has led to cheaper clothing, electronics, and other consumer goods, has benefited everyone in the West -- and it has disproportionately benefited poorer people, who can now afford things they couldn't before globalization. Ask your parents how much a TV used to cost when it was made in a unionized Western factory.

Because of globalization, poor people in the Third World benefit from employment opportunities and unprecedented economic growth in their countries. Poor people in the West benefit from lower prices and greater consumer choice. Who loses? Unionized workers, who can no longer use the threat of collective bargaining power to keep their wages at high levels.

That's not true at all. Wages for the unskilled in the us have declined in the past 40 years. Labour's share of national income has also fallen over the past few decades. True technological progress is probably a bigger factor as even some developing nations are seeing a decline in manufacturing jobs, but its highly amusing to see someone whos been arguing about supply and demand on this thread try to claim that an increase in the supply of labour, without a corresponding increase in demand, has been good for workers.

Corporations won't give a toss about how much effort workers put in to training/educating, when there is a pool of idle labour/unemployed, to keep wages down even for those educated workers.

In category (b) there: Costly to who? To corporations and their profits. For the benefit of the workers and society overall. Lets remember as well, workers are typically 60+% of society.

It's not a debate over productivity, efficiency, or what is practical - none of those things are likely to become an issue - it's a debate over distribution of profits and the fruits of the workers labour.
    Globalization and its race to the bottom in worker rights/wages, plus having a worldwide pool of idle labour, allows corporations to tip the scales way in their favour, when it comes to the balance of profits distributed between corporations vs workers.

TL:DR version of this is 'We pay you 12.5p a day and you should be thankful for we are doing you a favour. We have an obligation to our shareholders don't you know?'

Because a corporation CAN get away with paying a pitiful amount such as this to a child SHOULD they be allowed to do so? You are keen to uphold that companies are there to make profit but your liberality doesn't stretch too far outside the economic domain does it.

The absurdity of this position is stark. Just ignore that corporations could easily double this wage to 25p a day and still rake in huge profits. But Ohhh no, you won't even fúcking hear tell of that, just delve right on into an ideological diatribe about 'how those on the left just don't understand.' Same shíte that gets regurgitated each and every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

When educational achievement and early school opportunity becomes a function of intelligence and not money I won't have as much of a problem with low wages. Unfortunately my time in academia has revealed a wealth (of the wealthy shielded from academic Darwinian principles) who have made it to college who wouldn't have made it into college if there entry into school A wasn't guaranteed by an accident of birth (born into a family that can afford it).

I have no problem with low pay jobs per say but to often opportunity correlates with the family you were born into and not intrinsic qualities. This as a true capitalist is not something I cannot oppose.

• Advertisement

And still not a single valid argument as to why it would be so catastrophically bad to double a childs wages to 25 pence a day. Not one, just another of what I described before... 'The left just don't understand.'

You literally earn more in HOURS than a child there can earn in a YEAR, and you justify it, you twist it to try and say if it wasn't FOR you they would be even WORSE off, never once stopping to think that maybe it's you who is part of the problem. And then have the temerity to say it's the Left who are so horrible? Absurdity at its finest.

All in defence that you are entitled make no more than a FEW DOLLARS a YEAR more profit. What could be more pathetic?

Ya I'm sure child labourers and workers paid a pittance in developing countries, avail of "profit-sharing plans, employee ownership, widespread ownership of corporate stock" as well as "pensions, mutual funds"...

The whole idea that we need companies gaining rapacious profits from developing world labour/resources, with poor worker conditions/payment, in order to have financial stability, doesn't have any backing at all.
    Bollocks to that - companies can more than afford to pay these workers better wages, while still having decent profits to tuck away.

The idea behind that argument, is also one of the most explicit expressions of Social Darwinism:
    Exploiting low-paid/poor-work-condition child labour now, so that wealthy pensioners/financiers can have a comfortable retirement in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

The mad Mullahs of libertarianism eh? Their own worst PR agents. Honestly, keep fighting the good fight against minimum wage, benefits for the needy etc while ignoring all the benefits extended to the wealthy, the corporations, the failed banks, the failed speculators, the unsecured bond-holders etc.

Well done. Keep up the good work lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yadda, yadda, yadda...

It's just another way of reducing people to a comodity. A number on a scale. An item to be moved around or simply discarded when their "value" is no longer what you want it to be.

And I'm not "attacking" anyone's "character". There's a difference to commenting on one's abhorent, and nasty political views and attacking one's character.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It was a lack of intervention and regulation that brought us to the brink in 2008.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

If you aren't arguing for one of those things, then you don't understand how government finances work, which means your criticism makes no logical sense.

When you cut or move a tax, in the present economic system, one of these things must happen, as a mathematical/accounting fact:
    1: Government must cut spending.
    2: Government must tip the fiscal balance towards deficit (Spending - Tax Revenue = Fiscal Balance).
    3: Taxes are just moved/redistributed, not cut.

The above is not true. One can cut taxes and increase the over all tax take.. See Charlie McCreevys cut of CGT and what they did in the UK over 20 years regards the top rate of tax.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Correlation and causation or is there a definite link?

It has been commented on numerous times here in the media that 1 out of every 5 young person is without a job, yet the country takes in 100,000 immigrants a year, most of those are skilled with experience and qualified.

The min wage is close to $17 a hour, therefore competition for unskilled jobs is tough.

• Advertisement

Karl Stein wrote: »
    The mad Mullahs of libertarianism eh? Their own worst PR agents. Honestly, keep fighting the good fight against minimum wage, benefits for the needy etc while ignoring all the benefits extended to the wealthy, the corporations, the failed banks, the failed speculators, the unsecured bond-holders etc.

Well done. Keep up the good work lads.

Do you care to debate, or just want to fly in, leave an insult where your buddy Nodin can thank you for it and then fly off again?

Advertisement