Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Student mobile broadband deals

Options
  • 28-09-2014 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been post but I did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

Student can currently avail of half price packages with meteor for mobile broadband.

- 25GB of data per month.
    - Access to the 4G network.
    - 6 month contract.
    - WAS €19.99 NOW €9.99

- 50GB of data per month
    - 6 month contract.
    - WAS €39.98 NOW €19.99

Link - campus.ie/meteor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Apologies if this has been post but I did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

Student can currently avail of half price packages with meteor for mobile broadband.

- 25GB of data per month.
    - 6 month contract.
    - WAS €19.99 NOW €9.99

- 50GB of data per month
    - 6 month contract.
    - WAS €39.98 NOW €19.99

Link - campus.ie/meteor

How easy/difficult would it be for a non/former-student to get this deal does anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

How easy/difficult would it be for a non/former-student to get this deal does anybody know?

This.
    CampusConnect is a service provided by HEAnet and Campus.ie that verifies your academic status and allows you to access the biggest student-only discounts and deals, as well as student-exclusive content. When you click on ‘Authenticate me’ you will be brought to your college website. Log in and confirm that you are a student. After you successfully log in, you will be brought back to Campus.ie, to continue your purchase. In this secure environment, you will be asked to enter your normal college network login details. If these are correct, we receive a notification that you a genuine student. This only needs to be done once each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,069 ✭✭✭✭Esel

When I took a quick look, it seemed to be for graduates and academics as well?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Brasso

Esel wrote: »

Yes I'm a graduate and I was able to log in through the campus.ie page, done it there just to see. I think this offer used to be provided by O2, Meteor must have outbidded them at contract renewal time or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Do Meteor allow/tolerate tethering?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I am deferring the next year anyone know if I could still sign up?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,069 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I am deferring the next year anyone know if I could still sign up?
    Totally uninformed guess here...

Yes, more than likely.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

Do they offer student 4g for payg customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭pjjk90

I'm on their €30 PAYG offer and I can tether without any issues

Esel wrote: »

No luck I'm afraid, any UL or LIT graduates manage to get it? (I'm a graduate of both)

• Advertisement

this is a data mobile broadband deal / sim so you can use it in a dongle or mifi device so tethering is not an issue. it's not a calls + data thing, data only.

http://meteor.ie/student/

mind you I have a 3G meteor deal and the download speeds are rubbish 10am to 10pm, not sure if the same congestion is on 4g.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Works for 2nd / 1st level teachers too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

glasso wrote: »
    this is a data mobile broadband deal / sim so you can use it in a dongle or mifi device so tethering is not an issue. it's not a calls + data thing, data only.

mind you I have a 3G meteor deal and the download speeds are rubbish 10am to 10pm, not sure if the same congestion is on 4g.

Only had it a few days and been picking up strong 4G signal with no congestion problem. Maxing out the speed with no issues.

You can pick a number of devices with the offer. For anyone who goes for the Huawei E5372. I found the range on it not to be great but you can change the setting via the router page from 20M to 40M in the advanced settings which helped significantly.

As others have pointed out in the thread the offer is also available for teachers/lectures. Maybe a mod can update the OP as I can't edit as a new user.

Is this a payg mobile phone deal?

Is this a payg mobile phone deal?

Sim only - 30 day contract
    With one of the devices - 6 month contract

Sim only - 30 day contract
    With one of the devices - 6 month contract

Sim only so if i buy a new payg sim ill have that deal for the remainder of my college days?

Sim only so if i buy a new payg sim ill have that deal for the remainder of my college days?

I'm pretty sure that a sim only 30 day rolling contract and payg aren't strictly the same thing. You'll still need to jump through all the hoops of getting a bill contract (proof of address/ID etc) just without being tied to any fixed length.

On the second point I think they look to validate it once a year so yes as long as you are still in college you can continue to avail of this offer. That though isn't really an issue as I expect the price of mobile broad packages to come down and the data caps to go up over the next year so by the time you can't avail of this offer I'd say you'll be able to find an operator doing mobile broadband with an unlimited cap for a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

That though isn't really an issue as I expect the price of mobile broad packages to come down and the data caps to go up over the next year so by the time you can't avail of this offer I'd say you'll be able to find an operator doing mobile broadband with an unlimited cap for a decent price.

It's unbelievable there isn't a unlimited (or even a 50GB+!) download PAYG broadband service currently availability from any of the operators.

It's unbelievable there isn't a unlimited (or even a 50GB+!) download PAYG broadband service currently availability from any of the operators.

it's very understandable. capacity is limited on mobile networks whereas this is not an issue as much for fixed line. the MNO's don't want torrenters dragging down the quality of service for actual profitable customers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

It is only designed for light use, it is not even broadband in a real sense but is Midband. with proper broadband as users log on to the service there is a neglible drop in speeds but when users log on to Midband the service speeds drop by huge amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

glasso wrote: »
    it's very understandable. capacity is limited on mobile networks whereas this is not an issue as much for fixed line. the MNO's don't want torrenters dragging down the quality of service for actual profitable customers.

Even if you don't torrent 50 gb/month is still relatively small for heavy users.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

Im currently a meteor mobile broadband customer and due to abysmal speeds (averaging 0.7Mb) in the last 2 months and meteor claiming there is nothing wrong with there network I have cancel my account and been looking around at my options.
    From reading forums on boards three's 20 euros payg option looks good, 4G all you can eat data, unlimited any network texts and unlimited any network weekend calls and you still have the 20 euros to spend.

http://www.three.ie/shop/sim-only-plans/prepay-sim-only/

There is a FUP of 15Gb but again reading around there are people who have downloaded 100s of Gbs per month with no consequence and they all seem to be getting good speeds.

"Should your data usage exceed 15GB in a 30 day period and your usage affect other network users, we reserve the right to limit your Service."

http://www.three.ie/terms-conditions/services/prepay-price-plan-terms-conditions/#20topup

They may limit your service ie throttle you, were as with meteor they will charge you through the nose.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057294845

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057297027

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057296692

Automan wrote: »
    Im currently a meteor mobile broadband customer and due to abysmal speeds (averaging 0.7Mb) in the last 2 months and meteor claiming there is nothing wrong with there network I have cancel my account and been looking around at my options.
    From reading forums on boards three's 20 euros payg option looks good, 4G all you can eat data, unlimited any network texts and unlimited any network weekend calls and you still have the 20 euros to spend.

http://www.three.ie/shop/sim-only-plans/prepay-sim-only/

There is a FUP of 15Gb but again reading around there are people who have downloaded 100s of Gbs per month with no consequence and they all seem to be getting good speeds.

"Should your data usage exceed 15GB in a 30 day period and your usage affect other network users, we reserve the right to limit your Service."

http://www.three.ie/terms-conditions/services/prepay-price-plan-terms-conditions/#20topup

They may limit your service ie throttle you, were as with meteor they will charge you through the nose.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057294845

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057297027

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057296692

That would be a phone plan, not a broadband one! Chances are these sims won't work in a mobile broadband dongle/router

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Automan wrote: »

Can I pop a three SIM from that plan into my huawei mobile broadband WiFi device? Is tethering frowned upon or outright not possible?

Can I pop a three SIM from that plan into my huawei mobile broadband WiFi device? Is tethering frowned upon or outright not possible?

Wasn't possible for me a few months ago, was using a 3 branded router, a dongle worked alright for me though using the same SIM card and tethering on my phone works fine for me also, though that's probably because I don't take the piss with it

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ggmad

Does anyone know if this works well with the Huawei 4G E3272 Stick?

ggmad wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this works well with the Huawei 4G E3272 Stick?

The meteor deal? Should do...

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

That would be a phone plan, not a broadband one! Chances are these sims won't work in a mobile broadband dongle/router

Im not sure if it will either as im using a mobile phone tethered to my laptop with my broadband sim from meteor, only way to know is to try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ggmad

The meteor deal? Should do...

Well yes it should work with it as you can sign up to the plan with this device, but I'm asking for peoples experience in using this device with the 4G meteor plan

Advertisement