Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gatso vans location selection

Options
  • 28-09-2014 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi all
    On a separate note , does anybody know who actually decides where the gatso vans set up their checkpoints?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Moved to Motors from C&T

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

All gatso vans were retired 5 or 6 years back.

The garda vans, (robot vans) , their locations are determined by the gardai.

The gosafe van locations, are decided by the gardai.

So in conclusion, ... the gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Murt10

mikeecho wrote: »
    The garda vans, (robot vans) , their locations are determined by the gardai.

The gosafe van locations, are decided by the gardai.

So in conclusion, ... the gardai

Hopefully, now that they can no longer have (their own, friends, relatives etc) points and fines wiped with just a press of a button/phone call, perhaps they will consider putting them in more appropriate places, rather than in some stupid location where the camera is shooting fish in a barrel.

Murt10 wrote: »
    Hopefully, now that they can no longer have (their own, friends, relatives etc) points and fines wiped with just a press of a button/phone call, perhaps they will consider putting them in more appropriate places, rather than in some stupid location where the camera is shooting fish in a barrel.

Hey, it's a big frucking van, they are easy to spot.
    thats why the gosafe vans only catch on average 2 per hour.

It's that 2per hour that must be completely oblivious to their surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Murt10 wrote: »

It would appear that they can still mess with points for the favored few.

• Advertisement

RustyNut wrote: »

Its the old skool management that still believe that they are above the law and Superior to the minions of the country

its disgusting really :p

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Curly head

Disagree completely with milkeecho, sometimes there far from easy to spot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Don't speed and you won't be caught, simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

I believe Gardaí search out long stretches of high quality straight road, with moderate traffic levels and a speed limit which people would deem too low for the road in question.

Also, there may have had to have been a fender bender on this road in the past 10 years. And there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

my opinion - shoot me if you wish - but i think they should be unmarked, and let people live with the consequences.
    do not, under any circumstances, agree with or see why they have to be blatently visible and marked. people just slow down and once past, speed up again.
    stupid solution to a very real problem in this country.

and on the points removals, while people, gardai or otherwise think they are above the law, this will continue to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Curly head wrote: »
    The dark blue go safes are dangerous in dull conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Curly head wrote: »

Agree. Well tucked away on the Birdhill/Nenagh road!!
    Speed limit 80kph on a wide straight stretch of road.

Was in Achill a few days ago - similar speed limit on those narrow winding roads!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

my opinion - shoot me if you wish - but i think they should be unmarked, and let people live with the consequences.
    do not, under any circumstances, agree with or see why they have to be blatently visible and marked. people just slow down and once past, speed up again.
    stupid solution to a very real problem in this country.

and on the points removals, while people, gardai or otherwise think they are above the law, this will continue to happen.

Well if they put them in places of danger, around schools, or where actual fatal crashes have occurred then they have done their job if people only slow down going past, but they don't site them in dangerous locations. I've never seen a speed trap in a housing estate or dodgy back road, where slowing vehicles is needed, but every one I've seen has been on a long open road.

If they wanted speed traps to protect life they would site them in areas of high risk(housing estates, schools, rural back roads) instead of main roads which are relatively save for all road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Del2005 wrote: »
    Well if they put them in places of danger, around schools, or where actual fatal crashes have occurred then they have done their job if people only slow down going past, but they don't site them in dangerous locations. I've never seen a speed trap in a housing estate or dodgy back road, where slowing vehicles is needed, but every one I've seen has been on a long open road.

The open road is the point at which the speed limit is exceed, the same driver may drive too fast in the twisty bit but this may not exceed the speed limit.

What is needed is a legal change to allow speed be determined by reference to sightlines at any point on the network and without having to have reference to an inflexible legal speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭betistuc

Got nailed by a sneaky Gosafe van at the end of the M3 going onto N3 there at Clonee couple of Mondays ago. Didn't see the f---ker as it was after dark. I was actually slowing down from 120 km as I hit the 100 km limit but he got me at 111kph. 80 bucks and 3 points. Makes my blood boil. Road was practically empty. It's very unfair to place these vans on super safe roads like this one. That was never their purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

betistuc wrote: »
    Got nailed by a sneaky Gosafe van at the end of the M3 going onto N3 there at Clonee couple of Mondays ago. Didn't see the f---ker as it was after dark. I was actually slowing down from 120 km as I hit the 100 km limit but he got me at 111kph. 80 bucks and 3 points. Makes my blood boil. Road was practically empty. It's very unfair to place these vans on super safe roads like this one. That was never their purpose.

It is revenue and no other reason along with the water charges and LPT. Curse of a country. Funny enough our resident gatso here in Navan is not much in my sights recently, perhaps the election? I light him up in the dark!

Feel your pain but you need to keep your eyes peeled rather than your pockets.

I think I got pounded by one today, on the N7.

They have an amber flashing light bar now. This is what threw me off. Road was 100 and i was going about 106-108 I'd say (in actual speed, not the over-reading by the speedometer). Seen it a mile up the road and sat there looking at it, commenting how that breakdown van looks like a speed van. Feckin' amber light bar threw me way off! :(

Still.. now I know. Can only hope I wasn't nailed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

They're also on the actual M3 now as well; just after the overhead bridge that goes to clonee; when you're heading towards blanchardstown

It's not so much the fine that annoys me - It's the points which you are stuck with for 3 years. Can affect your insurance premium if you accumulate more than three. I honestly think the penalty is far too severe for such a minor offence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

Do you actually have to pass the van in order for your to be caught? I know the speed is measured outwards from the rear of the van but is the photographic evidence camera facing frontwards to photograph the offending veh-hicle? I thought this to be the case but I could be wrong.

• Advertisement

Camera faces out the rear window, as does the equipment used to measure your distance/speed.

Front of the van can't do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭9935452

I think I got pounded by one today, on the N7.

They have an amber flashing light bar now. This is what threw me off. Road was 100 and i was going about 106-108 I'd say (in actual speed, not the over-reading by the speedometer). Seen it a mile up the road and sat there looking at it, commenting how that breakdown van looks like a speed van. Feckin' amber light bar threw me way off! :(

Still.. now I know. Can only hope I wasn't nailed by it.

i read somewhere that they only put on the flashing lights when they are setting up the equipment and then turn it off when they are running

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

do not, under any circumstances, agree with or see why they have to be blatently visible and marked. people just slow down and once past, speed up again.stupid solution to a very real problem in this country.and on the points removals, while people, gardai or otherwise think they are above the law, this will continue to happen.

Then there's no deterrent. If people can see the big white vans they tell others etc and people begin to slow down. That's why you'll often see Cops in very conspicuous places with flashing lights, obvious gun pointing (wild west style) and as much luminous jackets etc you can find; So that people WILL see them and won't forget them. They believe this to be good preventative policing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

9935452 wrote: »
    i read somewhere that they only put on the flashing lights when they are setting up the equipment and then turn it off when they are running

This is correct. Health & Safety. If its flashing, its extremely unlikely to be operating. Frankly I think it would be more effective if it was left on if the whole point is to educate people and make them think about their speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

I've been meaning to complain about that location. You come into the van's LOS during the 120km/h stretch, then hit the 100km/h sign. At which point were you caught speeding?

I've passed the van twice and if I'm sent a fine I'll challenge it asking them to state the exact distance relative to the signs - prove I was doing 110 in the 100 zone and not in the 120 :D

I've been meaning to complain about that location. You come into the van's LOS during the 120km/h stretch, then hit the 100km/h sign. At which point were you caught speeding?

I've passed the van twice and if I'm sent a fine I'll challenge it asking them to state the exact distance relative to the signs - prove I was doing 110 in the 100 zone and not in the 120 :D

According to the fixed charge notice it was at Huntstown, Dublin 15. Google maps has it close to the N3 but not beside it. I think you're right about the van's location. I was only a couple of seconds off the M3 when I encountered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Easily proved.
    The ticket will have the gps coordinates.
    The radar operates at a set angle, if memory serves me right, I think it's 23.5°.

The radar system will take photos of all approaching cars at X distance, and receding cars at Y distance from the radar.

Fight your tickets and report back please... cos ppl rarely do.

pa990 wrote: »
    Easily proved.
    The ticket will have the gps coordinates.
    The radar operates at a set angle, if memory serves me right, I think it's 23.5°.

The radar system will take photos of all approaching cars at X distance, and receding cars at Y distance from the radar.

Fight your tickets and report back please... cos ppl rarely do.

Not seeing any gps co ordinates on my fixed charge notice. Any point in emailing them and pleading my case? . 25/03/16 is my pay by date.

9935452 wrote: »
    ironclaw wrote: »
    This is correct. Health & Safety. If its flashing, its extremely unlikely to be operating. Frankly I think it would be more effective if it was left on if the whole point is to educate people and make them think about their speed.

Is this actually true? Do you guys have any credentials or are you just winding me up to make me happy, until the crushing fine slides in my letterbox? :D

The van was sitting there, light flashing, but had no operator on the roadside or any open doors or such. Looked like it was in 'gotcha, ya bollix' mode to me. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Del2005 wrote: »

If they wanted speed traps to protect life they would site them in areas of high risk(housing estates, schools, rural back roads) instead of main roads which are relatively save for all road users.

I have seen plenty of GoSafe/Garda vans on the backroads. Between Allenwood and Derrinturn is a good example. Schools, bus stops, houses and a poor road surface. It's a reasonable place to have one.

That said, I've seen them in silly places too.

Advertisement