Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Carrigaline-Ballincollig Bus Service

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Ah for crying out loud. I work in ballincollig and live in togher so it's going to cost me €5.90 without the leap card one way and not much less with it :-(. Time to learn to drive, me thinks.

Funny thing is probably next year the numbers using the service will drop again and the first thing they'll do to counter act it is raise prices again, like people will hear there's been a price raise and come flocking back to public transport, they really can't do anything right in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Service 220
    4.10 : Adult Single
    7.30 : Adult Return

2.30 : Child Single
    4.60 : Child Return
    4.00 : Student Single
    7.00 : Student Return
    34.50 : Adult 10 Journey
    7.30 : Adult Day Return
    20.00 : Child 10 Journey
    4.60 : Child Day Return
    28.50 : Student 10 Journey
    heres the estimated fares for the 220 service off the bus eireann website through an external service : http://www.busfare.co.uk/eireann.html.

To be fair, if you buy a return or a 10 journey ticket you do make a fair saving on the fare.
    Also, thats the cash fare, so if you get a leap card then its another way to save on the fare.

If you choose to pay cash rather than choosing 10 journey or leap card, then you pay more.
    I cant see the problem, especially if you are a regular user where a 10 journey would be great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

heres the estimated fares for the 220 service off the bus eireann website through an external service : http://www.busfare.co.uk/eireann.html.

To be fair, if you buy a return or a 10 journey ticket you do make a fair saving on the fare.
    Also, thats the cash fare, so if you get a leap card then its another way to save on the fare.

If you choose to pay cash rather than choosing 10 journey or leap card, then you pay more.
    I cant see the problem, especially if you are a regular user where a 10 journey would be great value.

My problem is the price is constantly increasing where as the service never really has.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Absolute disgrace , How can they get away with those prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,602 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That's actually a Bus Eireann service - they are using an external company's software to do it.

The cash fares that you quoted are from Ballincollig West to Cork. The service is not flat fare, but is based on fare stages - so it depends upon where you're travelling from and to. From Ballincollig some of them are slightly less:
    Service 220
    4.00 : Adult Single
    7.30 : Adult Return
    2.30 : Child Single
    4.60 : Child Return
    3.80 : Student Single
    7.00 : Student Return
    33.00 : Adult 10 Journey
    7.30 : Adult Day Return
    19.00 : Child 10 Journey
    4.60 : Child Day Return
    28.00 : Student 10 Journey

LEAP would be €3.36 single or €6.72 return, €8 for a 24 hour ticket and €35 for a 7 day ticket. The latter two offer unlimited travel on all Cork city and suburban services and are not limited to the 220/220A.

Also, additional services are being added from next Monday from Ballincollig to Cork on route 233:

http://buseireann.ie/news_timetable.php?id=1602&month=Oct
    Bus Éireann wishes to advise customers that as part of the ongoing review of services in County Cork, Route 233: Macroom – Cork will be altered on and from Monday, 20 October 2014.

An interim Route 233 will operate from Ballincollig West (EMC) to Parnell Place Bus Station via Carrigrohane Road. Interim services will depart Ballincollig West (EMC) as follows:-
    • 07.45 Monday to Friday
    • 08.15 Monday to Friday * (08.00 ex Srelane)
    • 08.45 Monday to Friday
    • 09.15 Monday to Friday

The 07.55 Srelane Cross-Cork service, will now be amended to depart Srelane Cross at 08.00, Ballincollig (EMC) 08.15 and will operate via Carrigrohane Road to Parnell Place Bus Station.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

The 233 route is a positive development at least. I've often said that the Carraigrohane Straight bus lane is scandalously under utilised. For people working in the city centre, using the 233 route over the 220 will cut commuting times by up to 20 mins in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/11/19/online-campaign-to-save-ballincollig-bus/
    A CAMPAIGN to change the controversial Bus Éireann 220/220A Ballincollig-Fountainstown route has been launched online.
    In recent days posters have appeared along the route, urging people to visit www.fixthe220.ie.
    The website lists a series of problems with the service – which passes through Carrigaline, Douglas, and the city centre – and hosts a petition calling for change.
    Jacob Murphy, Fountainstown, set up the website a fortnight ago, after spending months writing letters and emails to Bus Éireann and local TDs, which he believed got him nowhere.
    Mr Murphy has based his campaign on six points. He claims that Bus Éireann did not carry out consultation with customers before changing the route at the end of the summer, and wants engagement with locals to discuss the problems.
    He also claims that buses are “chronically unreliable” and he also takes issue with lengthy journey times.
    The site also lists the lack of safe pedestrian crossings at bus stops in Carrigaline, and takes issue with the extension of the route to Fountainstown, claiming that it is frequently empty.
    Mr Murphy uses the Fountainstown service on a daily basis, but said that there were too many buses during the day, and not enough in the morning.
    “The services that people need, the services to get you to work on time, are completely unusable,” he said. He added that in order to be in the city for 9am, he has to get a 6.30am bus, his journey now lasts an hour and a half longer than before. Mr Murphy said that people along the route were reacting positively to his campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Bus Eireann didn't design the route though, the NTA did. BE just operate it.

I find it difficult to believe that a trip from Fountainstown to Cork is now taking more than 90 minutes longer than before.

lxflyer wrote: »
    I find it difficult to believe that a trip from Fountainstown to Cork is now taking more than 90 minutes longer than before.

The bus has to go through Lisbourne and Maryborough Hill.

And as far as I know it picks up Douglas passengers too which adds to the journey time.

• Advertisement

mikeym wrote: »
    The bus has to go through Lisbourne and Maryborough Hill.

And as far as I know it picks up Douglas passengers too which adds to the journey time.

Yes, but 90 minutes???

lxflyer wrote: »
    Yes, but 90 minutes???

Its a bit unrealistic.

Advertisement