Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gain or Burns??

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Thanks, I'll look into those brands.

I doubt you'd by any chance find any of those grain free products in a pet shop or anywhere though, ordering online is a bit of a hassle.
    A good sized pet shop would have at least Taste of the Wild but most likely most of those from my experience but you are correct that they are not in every pet store. Another option is of course to order from the likes of Zooplus.ie (I think they should give me commission by the number of times I keep on mentioning them :o ) for delivery to a suitable location (i.e. work/parents/friend etc. who can recieve it).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I doubt you'd by any chance find any of those grain free products in a pet shop or anywhere though, ordering online is a bit of a hassle.

I find ordering online much easier than going to a pet shop. Im lucky though that the food i get is local enough to me but i find ordering online great.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

PetStop - Acana and PetWorld sell Barking Heads and Arden Grange - both of which have cereal free varieties ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

I was shopping around today and the only grain free brand I found available was Canagan.

Very expensive though, nearly 20 euro for a 2kg bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I was shopping around today and the only grain free brand I found available was Canagan.

Very expensive though, nearly 20 euro for a 2kg bag.

The James Wellbeloved vegetable range is grain free, turkey, lamb or duck and should be fairly easily available on line and in bricks and mortar shops.

Although, personally I'm not sure why grain free is so important, when a dog is sick, everyone always recommends boiled chicken and rice, I get confused as to why that is good for your dog, but a complete food with rice isn't :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

muddypaws wrote: »
    Although, personally I'm not sure why grain free is so important, when a dog is sick, everyone always recommends boiled chicken and rice, I get confused as to why that is good for your dog, but a complete food with rice isn't :confused:
    Well at least in my case I'll state grain free meaning no wheat/soy/maize with a max of 20% rice specified :P

The James Wellbeloved vegetable range is grain free, turkey, lamb or duck and should be fairly easily available on line and in bricks and mortar shops.

Is it to do with storage mites in the rice? With Bailey he had a very bad reaction with Luath and switching to grain free kibble made a hugh difference. ..But at the same time the last few months I've started to mix a small amount cooked rice in with their meat and the LOVE it!! I read on a FB forum ...in a reply to a thread where somebody had bought gravy bones from a pet shop in the uk that were infested with beetles.. the person replying had had the same problem with a brand of dry food and it was sent off for analysis etc etc - turned out the cereal content was unsold and now mouldy brown bread that they were getting off a bakery!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

I agree. My terrier always had problems with her anal glands becoming blocked but since boiling some rice for her a few times a week that problem is pretty much eliminated now.

SingItOut wrote: »
    I agree. My terrier always had problems with her anal glands becoming blocked but since boiling some rice for her a few times a week that problem is pretty much eliminated now.

That kind of goes in the favour or cereal free foods though or my opinion that real rice and dry dog food rice aren't the same thing. Was she on a "complete food" with rice already in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Her Gain contains 20% rice. I can't remember which jameswellbeloved she was on but she was on burns Puppy chicken and rice so I gave that to her on its own mixed with sardines occasionally. I didn't give her rice with the JWB or burns as they were grain based

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Rice is gluten free. For that reason, if a cereal is to be used, rice is a very benign grain. Having said that, I know a number of dogs who can't even eat rice, whether in dry food, or in a chicken and rice concoction. Personally, if I have a sick dog, it's chicken and boiled potato they get, not rice.

Advertisement