Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demands for ban on camper van parking

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

piuswal wrote: »
    See Niloc 's post of the 25th re lobbying Councillors and subsequent post giving Councillors email addresses.
    Get as many MH owners as you know to canvas them.
    Some of them have seen the Cobh facilities, at a minimum we should try and persuade them to adopt the same but Dungarvan has the space for a proper serviced Aire and I feel that should be the ultimate aim.
    If one town develops a full serviced Aire then we the precedent that administrators in particular are so enamoured of.

Start lobbying the councillors and get fellow MH owners to do the same.

As this thread appears to be going round in circles I think piuswal is right that this is the way to go. As I haven't been to Cobh or Dungarvan I'm at a disadvantage so can I suggest that someone draft a letter that can be used by all of us to send to councillors thus showing our united feelings?.

Perhaps the letter could be worded in such a way that it could be sent to other county councils that, so far, have not shown animosity towards MH's, to encourage them to think about facilities.

We might disagree on what the signs mean but we all appear to agree that there is no justification for banning MH's from any county.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

Just to highlight, on the main road from Dublin to carrick on shannon, Dromod have a sign on the road advertising camper parking obviously trying to entice campers in.
    As well as the letters to relevant bodies maybe a meet up in a small village oganised by one of the clubs and see what value MH bring to a rural area. National media would run with it as a counter point to the recent "bannings" and love to stir it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭digger58

Why do local authorities do everything in this country to discourage visitors to our towns and cities? Do they realize that we (campers) can eat out sometimes! France has it right, encouraging people in. I think Buncrana has set up a good site, anybody been?

Areas that I go to do pretty well out of me. When I'm at home I have to cook, when I'm away I eat out all the time. All I carry in the camper is tea and coffee. I also drink more because I don't have to consider driving home:D.

Having a small camper means that I can always find a pub, with a carpark, where they are quite happy to have my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Folks,

I suggest you email your comments to

cllrdgeoghegan@waterfordcouncil.ie

he is Council Chairman and is from Dungarvan.

He has backtracked from the idea of banning MH's but is now saying it is an issue that will have to be dealt with nationally or centrally, not certain what phrase he used.
    This is absolute b******* and only a means of getting away from his initial position.
    Such a statement abrogates his responsibility as a Councillor.
    Maybe Phil Hogan should have gone further and abolished all Councils if this is typical of their behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

How did things work out in Dungarvan?

From memory, there was supposed to be a meeting between stakeholders (Council, Motorhome community reps and possibily local business'?). Did it ever happen, what were the outcomes?

Just saw the recent post on the Galway "situtation" and that is what sparked my memory

Cheers

Isn't it amazing how here in Ireland we seem to feel the need to ban everything! We have a sordid love affair with law and offences. Most of Europe encourage healthy activities and practices and see the benefit of having people spending time in towns and villages with their cars/campers, eating and spending money in the local area. Few councils here seem wiling to dip their toes into this untapped revenue and just want a blanket ban. Out of interest what is defined as "overnight camping" Is a truck driver taking a regulatory break in the cab "Overnight camping" if they stop at night? Since a camper is a MPV under the Road Traffic Act surely it can park the same as any other MPV? BTW under the RTA to "park" is to "use" the vehicle! I foresee a lot of problems in enforcing this. Have there been any successful prosecutions indeed any prosecutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

digger58 wrote: »
    Isn't it amazing how here in Ireland we seem to feel the need to ban everything! We have a sordid love affair with law and offences. Most of Europe encourage healthy activities and practices and see the benefit of having people spending time in towns and villages with their cars/campers, eating and spending money in the local area. Few councils here seem wiling to dip their toes into this untapped revenue and just want a blanket ban. Out of interest what is defined as "overnight camping" Is a truck driver taking a regulatory break in the cab "Overnight camping" if they stop at night? Since a camper is a MPV under the Road Traffic Act surely it can park the same as any other MPV? BTW under the RTA to "park" is to "use" the vehicle! I foresee a lot of problems in enforcing this. Have there been any successful prosecutions indeed any prosecutions?

AFAIK camping overnight or otherwise has not been defined in law or bye-law here in Ireland.

Parking is defined as to bring a vehicle that one is driving to a halt and leave it temporarily

However in Europe camping is generally defined as in the attached photos.

Just to highlight, on the main road from Dublin to carrick on shannon, Dromod have a sign on the road advertising camper parking obviously trying to entice campers in.
    As well as the letters to relevant bodies maybe a meet up in a small village oganised by one of the clubs and see what value MH bring to a rural area. National media would run with it as a counter point to the recent "bannings" and love to stir it up.

I think this could be a very good idea, Pick a location, canvass the local community and organize a weekend meet there and then get their reaction afterwards. It may help in getting some of our Neanderthal County Councillors to view things in a modern light. They are quick to raise rates on businesses who need income to pay.lets ask the hospitality trade what they want/need from us and see if we can help them. They might also ask us what we want/need as potential visitors to their respective areas.I have been involved in the past in organizing classic car runs and was talking to a hotelier last year about a potential trip to their area, I was pleasantly surprised when I was asked what we needed and any other ideas that the hotel could provide to enhance our trip, one suggestion from the hotel was very simple.... windscreen cleaning facilities in the morning before our run, Nice one I thought and at very little cost! We ended up getting a parking area and a welcome pack. Nice little touch and we all had a great time. All the businesses and C Councils need to realize that they can't just expect to grab our money and forget us. France has cracked it and we should tap into it as well.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1961,
    “park”, in relation to a vehicle, means keep or leave stationary, and cognate words shall be construed accordingly;
    “use”, in relation to a vehicle, includes park, and cognate words shall be construed accordingly;
    Note.. it doesn't say mechanically propelled vehicle!
    Anybody know the Bye Law legislation that would be infringed if you "parked" or "camped" in these areas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

niloc1951 wrote: »

I'm with the authority on this one, for a change. If site owners start abusing the planning laws that could re-bound onto all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

Fairly typical of some planning applications. Apply for something and then either do more than was approved or try to get the application 'upgraded' to allow more houses on the site, increase the size of the building or in some other way modify the application to the benefit of the owner/builder.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

niloc1951 wrote: »
    AFAIK camping overnight or otherwise has not been defined in law or bye-law here in Ireland.

Parking is defined as to bring a vehicle that one is driving to a halt and leave it temporarily

However in Europe camping is generally defined as in the attached photos.
    In Ireland, perhaps an emergency phone number (council/garda/other official) could be on the sign so that those contravening the 'bye laws' could be quickly reported while they are still on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Karma? ???
    Is this not the site that petitioned to get the motorhomes banned from the area beyond the pier?
    If they are limited to just motorhomes (who pretty much boycott them) will they end up closing down, and if they do, will they return the grant money it is said they received?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I dont know if it is for this thread but I have seen an increased number of caravans parked alongside MH's. Is this acceptable? As an aside I have also seen an increased number of inconsiderate MH users parked across parking spaces. Not helpful for the rest of us

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

*Kol* wrote: »
    I dont know if it is for this thread but I have seen an increased number of caravans parked alongside MH's. Is this acceptable? As an aside I have also seen an increased number of inconsiderate MH users parked across parking spaces. Not helpful for the rest of us
    I have seen a lot of this type of parking during the summer, one MH taking up 3/4 car parking spaces.
    It really does the image no good at all.
    Mainly Irish reg as well, the NL, D and FR plates seem to be better in terms of not making themselves a nuisance.

Lookout Dungarvan June Bank Holiday weekend.

A few in bus bays but then I have never seen buses parked except for one small school bus who waits there during school hours.

At least one had an awning open and another was partially parked on the raised cobbling by the parking areas; these points were mentioned by a local who is supportive of MH's parking there.

3 more parked across the harbour in Abbeyside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

RE: the lookout

The fine is only the price of a night in the campsite anyway, I'd rather risk the fine and spend my €40 in the moorings.

• Advertisement
Advertisement