Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

595 student open to questions

Options
  • 21-09-2014 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Got 4A1s and A2 and a B1 in maths this year and happy to help anyone who needs it :) please PM me any questions you have!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Got 4A1s and A2 and a B1 in maths this year and happy to help anyone who needs it :) please PM me any questions you have!

What kind of work did you do in 5th year? :) congratulations on your results!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭LauraaWhelann

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    What kind of work did you do in 5th year? :) congratulations on your results!

I did two hours study in fifth year and homework after every weekday then a few hours on a Saturday :) always made sure to study properly for any class tests I had :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Congrats too on the amazing result! (Side note: wouldn't 4 A1's, an A2 and a B1 in maths be 600 points?)

How about 6th year, what was your general study plan for the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

Magnate wrote: »
    Congrats too on the amazing result! (Side note: wouldn't 4 A1's, an A2 and a B1 in maths be 600 points?)

Maybe she got a B2 in maths ????

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pa limerick

What was your study technique ?

• Advertisement

coolerboy wrote: »
    Maybe she got a B2 in maths ????

Possibly !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

But did ya ever get the shift? ;):p

In all seriousness, well done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭nathan99

how much study did you do in sixth year?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭bren2001

What is the meaning of life?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭EaSwe

At this stage in sixth year what were you doing per night? Any particular techniques you used? How did go about your hw/study?

• Advertisement

Sorry everyone for this seriously late reply! It was my first week of lectures this week so iv been pretty busy! And yep typo i got a b2 in Maths hahaha

I did two hours from 4-6 supervised study then 2 more from 7-9 at home and homework after on weekdays, at the weekend i went to the library from 10-4 every saturday. Did nothing on Sundays :)

What was your study technique ?

I wrote really concise notes for each subject, having already learned what I could from the book. I can be more specific if you tell me what subjects you need help with? i just used to write things over and over and do as many past exam questions as i could have :)

thelad95 wrote: »
    But did ya ever get the shift? ;):p

In all seriousness, well done :D

Well actually am still with my boyfriend of almost 4 years! so ya i did :)

Thanks though!

nathan99 wrote: »
    how much study did you do in sixth year?

I already replied to this it should be down below! :)

bren2001 wrote: »
    What is the meaning of life?

in sixth year? passing honours maths..

EaSwe wrote: »
    At this stage in sixth year what were you doing per night? Any particular techniques you used? How did go about your hw/study?

I will write back to this later today, I'm not ignoring you!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mayogirlie1

How did you study higher maths and did you find it difficult?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MaybeMyabeNot

As it shockingly turns out, the only way to do amazingly well on the Leaving Cert it to study and practice like a maniac. Some people aren't able for this lifestyle, some embrace it and pull through.

As it shockingly turns out, the only way to do amazingly well on the Leaving Cert it to study and practice like a maniac. Some people aren't able for this lifestyle, some embrace it and pull through.

I'd disagree that it's the only way, but it certainly is one way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 MaybeMyabeNot

I'd disagree that it's the only way, but it certainly is one way.

Care to share the secrets?

Care to share the secrets?

Hard work will always pay off in the end, but natural ability, educational aptitude and a read/write learning style certainly makes it a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pa limerick

I wrote really concise notes for each subject, having already learned what I could from the book. I can be more specific if you tell me what subjects you need help with? i just used to write things over and over and do as many past exam questions as i could have :)

Am English and biology if you could or maybe a language if you can thanks so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭monty_python

whats your favorite dinosaur??

Am English and biology if you could or maybe a language if you can thanks so much!

English: I was never an A1 student according to my teachers grades. I only ever got 2 A2s in his class but he's known for being a very hard marker. So I wasn't really expecting the A1 at all. On the day I thought I'd completely thrown away English and cried and cried after it but it just goes to show that you never know what to expect.

Okay il do this section by section...

Poetry.
    We covered six poets in class, and I studied five so I was guaranteed at least 1. 3 out of the 5 came up and I picked Yeats.

There is absolutely no need to learn all the poetry line for line in the book. I learned 5/6 poems by each poet and I only learned significant lines or lines I knew would be useful in a wide variety of answers. Granted my teacher pointed these lines out to us, I didn't pick them myself.

Most importantly learn the quotes, and then learn about the themes and language in these quotes.

Eg I will arise and go now and go innisfree

Themes - nature
    Language "will" persuades the reader that Yeats will go now. He has already convinced himself of this.

Work your quotes into sentences, don't just write a sentence then throw in a quote.

Have a suitable introduction.. I will show you this in one of my sample answers.

The single text ( we did Macbeth )

Again, quotes are essential. I learned maybe 30 quotes big and small over the two years instead of all at once. Learn 5 a week maybe?

You need to know the story. I know that sounds silly but you'd be surprised by how many people actually don't know the story or how the story begins/ends. I just read the play a few times and read many synopsises of it.

The themes I studied for Macbeth were:
    Good vs Evil
    Darkness vs Light
    Appearance vs Reality
    Role of Nature
    Symbolism and Imagery

The characters I studied were:
    Lady Macbeth
    Macbeth
    The Witches
    Banquo/Macduff/Duncan

Some of them overlapped quite a bit and I could use the same quotes for several of them.

Write your answer in consecutive order of the play. Eg don't discuss the ending before you discuss the beginning ;)

Ask your teacher what major themes appear in your play. Be engaging and argumentative! English teachers like that. Go through old exam papers to see which characters are likely to come up for your year!

The comparative

Always a tricky one.. We did Purple Hibiscus, Sive and I'm Not Scared.

Ask your teacher and look online for a list of comparative words eg similarly, in contrast etc etc

Remember it's called a comparative for a reason, you have to COMPARE the texts. I would make a point then use and example from each of the texts to back it up.

Also remember that you're looking for difference between the texts, not just similarities.

Again quotes from each text are really important to back up your points.

Comprehensions:

These just take practice really. Make sure you know all the features of argumentative/persuasive writing. Try and be different and sometimes humorous in your answers if possible. I remember writing in mine.. The question was why did an image catch your attention and I simply said it stood out to me because of its vivid colours, and if a picture stands out to a nervous leaving cert student on their big day then it must be eye catching..

Question B.

I loved articles and letters. I found them easy and got 50/50 for the one in my pre. Read the newspaper. It will really improve your vocabulary and give structure and statement to your answer. It will show you the type of language which is fundamental in your answers!

Composing:

I always did short stories. I'm really into reading and would often take small elements from many different books I read to make a whole new story. Really it's whatever works for you here. Some people are good at speeches or personal essays. Do one of each and ask your teacher what they think is your strength!

General tips for English.

Use a thesaurus for every answer you do. DO NOT use the same word again and again. It will help you learn new words without you even noticing.

Write your own notes as well as using your teachers. That's what I did. I took what I liked out of his notes and added them to my own. Mostly my notes consisted of versatile sentences and quotes.

Practice practice practice. Do two English questions a week and hand them to your teacher to correct. Do not wait for your teacher to assign work for you. (Unless she/he already does) mine didn't. Don't be nervous about this it's their job to correct your work. Do notes and questions in your English study time. I can't stress the importance of writing questions. Keep doing them until every questions in your exam paper is done! Ask for in dept feedback about your answer, not just a grade or percentage. Ask your teacher where you are going wrong/right and learn from that.

Only ever do one point per paragraph, no more! Use the method point quote explain and you can't go wrong. Structure is hugely important In English so make sure you cover it in class. Have an intriguing opening and a conclusive ending paragraph to really up your marks.

Biology

make very clear and concise notes for each chapter.

I honestly just had a huge interest in it and read the book over and over again. You do need to learn almost everything because they can ask questions from anywhere.

Again practice makes perfect. Do exam papers and old pre's and ask your teacher to correct them. Since your doing if outside school you will have to give a little extra effort. Maybe 10 mins extra a day just to reinforce everything!

Try and stand out from the crowd and learn a little beyond the scope of the course. My teacher was excellent and provided us with so much extra information to write into our books. We were over prepared for the exam by the time it came around. Do a bit of research!

My next piece of advice for Biology Is this.. I didn't do the ecology section. My teacher told me not to. He said learn everything off besides that. He said the ecology question is so subjective and hard to get full marks in. He did advise me to read over the chapters slightly and learn the definitions for the short questions. I didn't do any ecology long questions or experiment questions. It worked for me, not sure if it would work for you but just to let you know!

Also you have loads of time in the exam for biology so plan your questions first while your brain isn't tired. Write short bullet points on the paper then write your long answers in the booklet!

Draw diagrams wherever you can and learn all your experiments! Get a revision book to learn the experiments from they are fat too long in the book.

Practice the short questions in exam papers, these are hard to prepare for because they can come from anywhere. If you know your long questions well enough the short questions should follow.

In the exam I did all 6 short questions all 3 experiment questions and an extra long question. You do have the time for this and it's an excellent backup incase something goes wrong with one of your other questions!

German:

I just loved German I took to it really well. Again focus on the oral, learn the picture stories and role plays as best you can. Be able to improvise just a bit. Don't stress too much about the questions that come with the pictures just try your best to understand them :) have a special topic that you can refer to. Be clever.. Say you love GAA and they ask you what facilities are in your local area? Say there is a GAA pitch and then speak about how you love GAA, have a whole paragraph prepared and the time will fly!

Please learn the grammar.. I didn't and I'd say that's where I lost the A1. Learn the perfekt tenses and your verbs and all your grammar tables.

Your oral notes will help heaps with the written paper. The questions are essentially the same. Practice the writing bits and hand them to your teacher to correct! Learn each new word and verb that comes your way. With the comprehensions underline what you don't understand and look it up. Get used the wording of the questions. Give as much information in your answer as you possibly can.

Listen to the CD for the listening part of the exam at home and in the car. I actually used to watch German Vloggers on YouTube because I found it interesting and it helped with my aural skills!

Hope this helps :)

How did you study higher maths and did you find it difficult?

Okay well I got a B2 in maths and was completely shocked! My best hope for myself was a C2, taking my pre result into account. I realised at the end of 5th year that i needed a little extra help. I found a good grinds teacher and went to grinds for an hour a week. It was thirty euro a pop so I'm so grateful to my mam for financing it. I'm not saying that grinds are the answer, if you pick up maths quickly and the only reason you're not getting what you deserve is because you're not trying, grinds aren't for you. I also listened in class and prepared for tests as best i could. Exam papers are always the way to go. Get about three different sets and fill them all out! if you can't do something, ask your teacher to explain it to you

whats your favorite dinosaur??

Dno, the leaving didn't give me any opinions on dinosaurs so my knowledge is completely limited. Soz

in reply to EaSwe, at this stage in sixth year i was doing 4 hours study a night + homework and 5 hours on a saturday.

My technique was just to keep writing things out, draw pictures, say it out loud and just change things up to keep you mind alert.

I just guilted myself into studying.. left my phone out of the room with an alarm that would go off every half an hour to say i should move on to the next subject. Didn't check the time every five minutes I just tried to focus as best i could.

Oh ya, I had 8 HL subjects so i did half an hour of each every night i.e. 4 hours as said above!

Didn't take my HW too seriously just did what had to be done so I didn't get given out to, otherwise i felt studying my own way was more important.

Didn't take my HW too seriously just did what had to be done so I didn't get given out to, otherwise i felt studying my own way was more important.

That's an interesting point, I could easily spend 4 hours a night on homework alone because I put so much effort into it but really I don't see the point. I understand that it's supposed to reinforce what you've done in class but honestly studying seems to be far more effective. I might experiment with doing the bare minimum homework wise because I'm struggling to fit in the study that I want to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

Laura, I realise that I may not win your friendship or that of other people here but if you can see beyond your initial reading of this, you might understand that I mean to be constructive and in no way aim to undermine your own superb achievement.

Over recent years, we have witnessed the development of this phenomenon whereby learners who have achieved top points are interviewed in the press, auction their notes online or generally put themselves up as the ultimate authority on academic achievement.

What this trend ignores is that your success to date is that of a learner. You have successfully managed to achieve a superb outcome in your own studies. What this does not make you is a teacher. Why, for example, is every native speaker of French not automatically the best person to teach it? Simply because one's own mastery of a subject does not make one qualified or indeed able to transfer that knowledge to others. Skilled teachers spend a lifetime perfecting how to do this, most of them acknowledge that they never fully do (to use your starting point, if they did nobody should leave their class with less than an A!) and many of them have achieved a grade that is just as high as yours in their own subjects.

These days - as a result of my advancing years - my facebook timeline is increasingly made up of people telling me how fast they ran around the park this morning. Wonderful. However, if I tried to emulate that achievement right now, with my level of fitness, I'd have a heart attack! One size does not fit all.

So I genuinely wish you well, you have achieved a wonderful LC and people are free to take your advice should they wish. However, I think they should do so - and you should proceed - mindful of what you have actually achieved and what you still have to and students, in general, would be well advised to look to their qualified and experienced teachers for the best professional guidance in the months ahead.

Advertisement