Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One meal to last you 30 hrs - what would you have

Options
  • 21-09-2014 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭

Real life scenario, relative going in for minor surgery 2pm Thursday. Was told his last meal needs to be 9am Wednesday.

What would you eat to see you through?

I'd force loads of carbs personally. Porridge, Banana, Toast etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

27 hour fast before minor surgery sounds excessive.

I'd have a mountain of meat though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

In particular?

ch750536 wrote: »
    In particular?

A bit of everything to be honest.

I'm still a bit taken aback that there would be a requirement for a 27-hour fast for minor surgery, to be honest. Even if it was on the stomach.

Yep, he's a bit old school and doesn't want to talk about it so I can't check the facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

As a nurse I have never heard if someone having to fast that long. ever. He would be completely dehydrated going under making immediate post up recovery trickery than it needs to be. If there was a reason why they wanted a fast this long then eating as much as possible prior to fasting might not be what they wanted - cramming the food that you would be eating in to 1 meal, might end up taking just as long to digest if he was just fasting 12hrs (if that makes sense). eat normally and check with the hospital, fasting that long would warrant a drip if he was an inpatient eating a procedure.

• Advertisement

He's allowed to drink, in fact they insisted on it allegedly.

I should add, I'm not telling him anything, is up to him what he eats. Just thought it was an interesting situation to consider & already throwing up vastly different responses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

ch750536 wrote: »
    I should add, I'm not telling him anything, is up to him what he eats. Just thought it was an interesting situation to consider & already throwing up vastly different responses.

When flying/travelling long distance I've done 24hr fasts. No problem.

4 egg omelette with plenty meat/cheese/olive oil and butter fwi. Large side of veg.

If you have trained/adapted to run on fat, fasts are trivial

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Lee_Torre

Plain ol' steak and potatoes(cheesy potatoes).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

roseybear wrote: »
    He would be completely dehydrated going under making immediate post up recovery trickery than it needs to be.
    Not eating won't make him dehydrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Lee_Torre

I fast for 24 hours at a time many days simply for health reason, it's not as crazy as it sounds. Fasting is great for our health. But that's a whole other subject.

There's a difference between a fasting requirement for surgery and choosing to do it.

There would want to be a raft of complications to justify 27 hours because it's certainly excessive if pulmonary aspiration is the only concern as it is in a typical operation.

Advertisement