Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

CatFromHue wrote: »
    As long as Matawalu is at 9 we're in with a chance.

He could score two tries but equally he could start a fight with one of his own players.

Despite his flakey form at 9 he's always caused us problems. Our scramble defence just isn't a big thing anymore and if he gets a few offloads in behind the gain line I can see us conceding tries.

Our bench though... Cronin and Healy to come and smash things up. Darce and Fitz to steady the ship if the midfield experiment starts to wobble.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Matawalu starting at 9. Entertainment guaranteed. 10-15 is seriously strong for Glasgow so if Niko turns up with his head screwed on then they will pose problems.

I'm going to say Madigan/T'eo versus Bath is a lock. Fitzgerald will play on the wing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

.ak wrote: »
    Despite his flakey form at 9 he's always caused us problems. Our scramble defence just isn't a big thing anymore and if he gets a few offloads in behind the gain line I can see us conceding tries.

I view him as a strike runner from 9 tbh so what he brings in line breaks he loses in the rest of a scrum halves duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TommyOM

I think Madigan-Teo is the combo for Bath as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Is this game televised?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭LostArt

TG4

TommyOM wrote: »
    I think Madigan-Teo is the combo for Bath as well.

Possibly, although I think that'd be mad myself. MOC likes Madigan at 12 and T'eo is his big gamble... FWIW I think T'eo is an absolute super star, I think MOC has to be lauded to finding him, risking everything in terms of a decent NIQ spot, and doing his research. He's probably costing half the amount of Sam Burgress too!

But it's too early for him to be starting a QF against some really, really good opponents. I also think Madigan is a great player but not a great 12. We have a great 12 in Darce.

For me I'd like to see Darce and Luke start against bath.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I view him as a strike runner from 9 tbh so what he brings in line breaks he loses in the rest of a scrum halves duties.

Yeah but that's the beauty of the game; it doesn't have to be played to script. All the glasgow players are very keen to keep the ball alive, so when you have big guys all looking to offload or carry off one then it's hard to defend against, and when you have someone as quick and powerful as him at the base everytime a tackle is completed he just offers that option again.

I've played against some teams that play like this - mostly because they were a good deal better than us - and defending it is probably the most exhausting, gruelling thing to do ever on a rugby pitch. In that sense Glasgow have a great model and create a lot of mismatches. I actually think they play their best when Mata is playing 9, despite him being a poor scrumhalf in the 'traditional' sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'll be fairly disappointed if Luke gets shunted back onto the wing for the rest of the season. He's been the best center in the country this year and should be playing there full time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Let's hope this Jerry lad on the Glasgow bench gets time just to hear the announcer pronounce his second name! He struggles at the best of times

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »
    I wonder if MOC thinks the league is a lost cause and is going all out for European silverware?

If he thinks that then he definitely has to go. For starters we've a better chance of winning the Pro12. Secondly our position in the league defines our ranking and therefore the difficulty of our pool in Europe next season. And finally we've never not made the play-offs since their introduction. Nobody, not the fans or the organisation or the team, would be happy to let that slide this year. Seriously, if that's the thought process he can just f*** right off today tbh.

For the record I don't think that is his thought process at all.....
    I'll be fairly disappointed if Luke gets shunted back onto the wing for the rest of the season. He's been the best center in the country this year and should be playing there full time.

Yeah I want Fitz at 13, but I wouldn't read a massive amount into the selection for tomorrow. Fitz may have had very little game time internationally but I reckon he's still the man in possession of the 13 shirt. Te'o may be getting an opportunity to impress for a possible bench slot. If Mads is going to play 12 then we'll have 2 outside backs on the bench against Bath:

Healy Strauss Moore
    Toner McCarthy
    Ruddock Heaslip SOB

Reddan Gopperth
    Madigan Fitzgerald
    D Kearney R Kearney McFadden

Cronin, McGrath, Ross, Douglas, Murphy, Boss, D'Arcy, Te'o

• Subscribers Posts: 41,057 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

kind of caught between a rock and a hard place here.

normally looking at so many internationals returning after a hard 6 nations championship, id suggest we tire them out by pulling them all over the pitch... however i think that that would play into glasgows hands as 1) our handling has been particularly crap lately and 2) a broken game would be playing right into their style.

so i hope we play as boring a territory game and bash the sh!te out of them as i think thats our best plan to profit from

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Matt O'Connor confirms @_kanedoug not included this weekend with slight hamstring strain. Expected back for Bath.

Referee: Nigel Owens (WRU, 121st competition game)
    Read more at http://www.pro12rugby.com/matchcentre/16931.php#eR8o09jId2oloryX.99

Our form has been terrible and even if we win we could still be 5th with favourites winning too.

Hopefully a huge performance from now to the last day, if we go out with a whimper someone is getting a slap.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Lose this, and with those teams its far from unlikely, and we're goosed

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

A loss tomorrow would see us go probably 7 points adrift of 4th place.

Looking at the top 4 teams run ins, ulster are probably the only team who have enough tough games that we could realistically make up that difference over 4 games, but it would require winning both in ulster and Edinburgh.

Lose tomorrow and it's more realistic to have us in a 5/6 place shootout with scarlets over euro seeding, than competing for the pro12 trophy.

Can't find this anywhere on the bookies

Can't find this anywhere on the bookies

odds.ie have pp

Leinster 4/11
    Glasgow 2/1
    Draw 20/1

just up

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/rugby-union/guinness-pro-12/Leinster-v-Glasgow-Warriors-8569898.html

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

ssaye2 wrote: »

Wow. Glasgow at 2/1 is a good punt

RDS isn't exactly a fortress these days

• Advertisement

Personally I think he's a better winger but incidentally he is our best 13 too.. weird position to be in.

Weather looks ****e for tomorrow evening. :( Two teams capable of good running rugby would've been nice to have a dry patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I've lost my hat. The only cap I have left is a Munster hat.

Hmm.

• Administrators Posts: 53,398 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is it supposed to rain heavy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

awec wrote: »
    Is it supposed to rain heavy?

Did not think it was going to rain at all tomorrow............

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Ballsbridge/

I was looking at accuweather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Let the battle for best weather site begin!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,833 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

In fairness Met Eireann are the most accurate locally. The online sites dont update in enough detail or regularity

Cloudy and dry with light winds tomorrow night at the RDS, temp of 8 or 9C

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Only just got to read the teamsheets now and I'm scared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,833 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I wonder why Jordi gets to start and Healy doesnt? He's purring, he should play.

Even if Mattie is holding certain guys back for Europe, he shouldnt, as everyone could use a game under their belt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement