Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can of Baked beans - profound question

Options
  • 18-09-2014 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭

If the protein in a can of baked beans is much less than 5% and the sugar added to a can is 5% then how can they market themselves as ''high in protein'' and ''low in sugar'' ?

How does any of that make sense when the reality is their notable feature is being high in carbs instead ? A fact conveniently ignored ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 109 ✭✭Rogaine2

I'm sure there are parameters they meet to claim to be either high in protein or low in sugar.

Eg.

You may claim your product is high in protein if it is plus 4%.

You can claim your product is low in sugar if it is less than 6%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

They taste like vomit, who cares

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The Wild West was won on baked beans. By men who couldn't read and thought protein was target practice. God Bless The Bean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

They taste like vomit, who cares

Beans ruin every dinner. That disgusting tomato sauce just gets everywhere :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Beans ruin every dinner.

True. But they add to a decent breakfast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

Lapin wrote: »
    True. But they add to a decent breakfast.

but are they are lying to you? They claim to be high in protein and low in sugar but the sugar content actually exceeds the protein content. Mathematical logic not even once.

but are they are lying to you? They claim to be high in protein and low in sugar but the sugar content actually exceeds the protein content. Mathematical logic not even once.

Step out of your maths lecture and stroll into a Marketing lecture. You'll learn a few things.

Lets ask the experts OP. The knowledgeable ones.

After Hours wouldn't be the same without their input.

They do not claim that the percentage of protein exceeds the percentage of sugar.

Even you can appreciate that?

Bah. If I want to know about protein 'content' I'll read the side of a corn flakes box or that article I put up a couple of posts back.

But when it comes to breakfast, all I care about are beans, toast, butter, mushrooms, and various fashions of a dead pig.

Oh, and tae. Plenty of tae.

• Advertisement

You know good breakfast Lapin :cool:

Rogaine2 wrote: »
    They do not claim that the percentage of protein exceeds the percentage of sugar.

Even you can appreciate that?

Yes but a higher number is called low and a lower number is called high.

This is the Alice in Wonderland marketing approach of "A word means what I want it to mean, nothing more, nothing less."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Vangelis used to play Chariots Of Fire with a lit cigarette on top the piano.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it OP.

Bah. If I want to know about protein 'content' I'll read the side of a corn flakes box or that article I put up a couple of posts back.

But when it comes to breakfast, all I care about are beans, toast, butter, mushrooms, and various fashions of a dead pig.

Oh, and tae. Plenty of tae.

Im not condemning beans ... God forbid ... I'm just pointing out the brazen lie staring me straight in the face as I heat up my tin of beans ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

RDA sugar 30gms per day, RDA protein 50gms per day (not sure if you're male female so I've averaged)

For every 100gms of beans you are getting almost twice as much sugar than protein that your body needs.

Eat them, don't eat them - the choice is yours, do you like beans?

Tin of Tuna is 25% protein no sugar but tastes not like beans at all.

Im not condemning beans ... God forbid ... I'm just pointing out the brazen lie staring me straight in the face as I heat up my tin of beans ;)

Jesus, don't forget to take them out of the tin first. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Is this a Junior Cert Maths question?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Beans ruin every dinner. That disgusting tomato sauce just gets everywhere :(

Maybe you could try not adding them to every dinner you eat to try and solve your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Bonus points for average methane production expressed as a % of fart "airtime"

Might as well make this worth our while.

There are 11 spoonfulls of sugar in a can of cider.
    Pwindedd wrote: »
    RDA sugar 30gms per day.

How many cans of cider do I need to drink each day to meet my recommended daily allowance of sugar ?

• Advertisement

How many cans of cider do I need to drink each day to meet my recommended daily allowance of sugar ?

One and a third :pac:

You know good breakfast Lapin :cool:

Especially with one of these bad boys on the plate Prince. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

Stop! Stop! Stop!

What about bringing white bread into the equation?

I can only offer to this discussion that, while working on a construction site ~ flat bones of the back end broke ~ I invented the " Bread and Beans Diet "

Pan of the cheap bread the local garage sold. Same tin of beans.

Open tin with knife. Dig folded slice of bread into beans. Devour!

Believe me; It actually became quite the treat! (Maybe it was all that sugar?) But, I survived a week or two on that diet. And I was as fit and mentally sharp as any man I worked with.

Cheap, crappy bread and a tin of baked beans. Christ, yeah! I'd pay for that, right now! Go to bed with a bloated belly and the Dogs licking my grin! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

On a whim we got sugar puffs there, first spoonful and my childhood swelled into my body momentarily... but that's beside the point.

Whoever their marketers are should be getting paid handsomely. For one, they are called SUGAR puffs. Now the box, the box made me feel healthy just looking at it (no dirty jokes plz srs bzness). Not only does it say things like high in fibre and high in iron, each thing it is high in gets its own icon in a very healthy looking green with some simplified representation of a plant. Not only that but they FORTIFY these sugar... puffs with even more healthy stuff. Fortify. Feels like a nice solid word, by extension I will be strong if eat it.

So I eat the ****ers.

What the **** am I typing these days at all

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I've tasted a few beans in my day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

cubes of salami go great in beans

On a whim we got sugar puffs there, first spoonful and my childhood swelled into my body momentarily... but that's beside the point.

Whoever their marketers are should be getting paid handsomely. For one, they are called SUGAR puffs. Now the box, the box made me feel healthy just looking at it (no dirty jokes plz srs bzness). Not only does it say things like high in fibre and high in iron, each thing it is high in gets its own icon in a very healthy looking green with some simplified representation of a plant. Not only that but they FORTIFY these sugar... puffs with even more healthy stuff. Fortify. Feels like a nice solid word, by extension I will be strong if eat it.

So I eat the ****ers.

What the **** am I typing these days at all

They are cute hoors for sure. Cereals have to be fortified because the Sawdust Sweepings they are made from don't have any nutritional value otherwise. For the same reason that sawdust is tasteless they always have sugar and salt added too. Thats my strong belief. It doesnt stop me eating but thats why they say sugar is as addictive as many hard drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I've tasted a few beans in my day.
    Broads?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Yea I was thinking marketers are like those dodgy wall street chaps as in their real skill or profession is finding the loopholes and then reallllly ridin' em hard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Bafucin

If the protein in a can of baked beans is much less than 5% and the sugar added to a can is 5% then how can they market themselves as ''high in protein'' and ''low in sugar'' ?

How does any of that make sense when the reality is their notable feature is being high in carbs instead ? A fact conveniently ignored ?

This post does not match your username in character Sir.

Yes generally food in tins is not healthy. Meh...

Advertisement