Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Div 1 Armstrong Cup 2014 - 2015

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Awesome! Knight Bishop mate's are rare. This GM couldnt even do it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

St Benildus 5.5 - 2.5 Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭sinbad68

balbriggan 4.5 - 2.5 rathmines , 1 postponed

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭checknraise

Gonzaga 4.5 Trinity 1.5 2 games postponed.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Danville

Dublin 2.5-Kilkenny 5.5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Gonzaga 6.5 Trinity 1.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭EnPassant

Elm Mount 6 Dun Laoire 2

• Registered Users Posts: 37 wine and final destination

That puts Dun Laoighre under a little pressure! Kilkenny, Bray and Trinity can field strong teams so the head to head games with Elm Mount and Rathmines will be interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 wine and final destination

That puts Dun Laoighre under a little pressure! Kilkenny, Bray and Trinity can field strong teams so the head to head games with Elm Mount B and Rathmines will be interesting!

That's a great win for Gonzaga. 11 points clear of third. Can't see anyone stopping them at this rate. They could even lose to us and still win comfortably

• Advertisement

St Benildus 6 - 2 Elm Mount B

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭sinbad68

Rathmines 2.5 - 5.5 Dublin

Dublin presented with their strongest team of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Bray/Greystones 6-2 Benildus. There goes Gonzaga's last chance of finishing second - 5.5 and 6 points and a game in hand over Benildus and Trinity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭Chess_Coach

I have heard that Armstrong league will not be FIDE rated this season . I cant paste the link here but at FIDE web site - Ireland tournaments I cant see Armstrong. Some says that we didnt register on time . I am not sure ,but this will affect Karl McPhillips to get his Fide rating title now.

One of the comments suggest that <**snip**> did not register tournament to FIDE.

Original comment from FB Irish Chess Quote

Armstrong Cup was supposed to be Fide rated of course as it has been for years but <**snip**> in another of his petty and vindictive acts (sin of omission-willful) made sure that didn't happen and it is very much in the balance on the question of a special dispensation being given to the ICU now, with regard to the rating of the Armstrong Cup. Hardly matter really anyway as Karl will get the FM title soon enough anyway.

Mod edit - if you're going to name names in that manner, you want to have a source. No source - and better than just a suggestion in a comment on another site - means no comments like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

ICU Chairman Pat Fitzsimons told me about this at the Gonzaga Classic. I don't think he intended it to be a confidence (though I sometimes miss subtlety), and clearly from the above the cat's out of the bag.

Pat still hopes to negotiate a dispensation from FIDE, but fears that a similar slip-up with the Munster leagues last year might have eaten up our good will with them. Incidently, it's all LCU leagues - none of the Armstrong, Heidenfeld or Ennis are to be FIDE rated as they were meant to be.

He named the person responsible for the oversight as the former ICU ratings officer and webmaster. The internet being what it is, I won't name the name. Anyone who cares will either know who he is or can look it up. Critics might pause to moderate their comments considering the amount of work he's done for Irish Chess. I imagine this will be discussed at exhausting and unnecessary length at the next AGM.

Mikhail

You know what should be done when one make mistake that will affect 100+ players. We had resignation from that Officer and this is fine but this will not help our players to get their games rated . I do not think that next AGM will spent any time on this but it might spend lots of time related to other things made by same Officer.

Gonzaga 5.5 Elm Mount A 2.5

Gonzaga 9 points clear now ...

When was the last time the Armstrong was decided before the last day?

You are correct not for very long time

cdeb wrote: »
    When was the last time the Armstrong was decided before the last day?

Not sure when a team last had the Armstrong won before the last round but I think that Kevin Barry were 16.5 ahead going into the 2nd last round in 1992.

• Advertisement

Just looking at the LCU site, Phibsboro were 9 points clear going into the final round in 2008/09

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Mustafa Chess

Where can the past results be seen

LeinsterChess.com - on the left, it has the past ten seasons.

Thanks that is a great resource

St Benildus 5 - 3 Trinity

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Looking good for Second spot!

Gonzaga and Elm Mount A next up; still far from secure. Trinity probably even favourites for second still. But a good win for us in any event.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Gonzaga 6.5 - 1.5 Phibsboro

it is as good as over already. Congrats to Gonzaga

• Advertisement

Gonzaga 5.5-2.5 St Benildus

Advertisement