Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email from ASTI....

Options
  • 17-09-2014 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Does the email from the ASTI this evening re part-time teachers mean what I think it means?

CID after 2 years??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭markjh

Looks like it alright. I'm in TUI so no such e-mail but I have read statements released by both ASTI and TUI and this is what it looks like!
    It does mention conditions but I wonder are the conditions the same ones that were in place anyway for CIDs prior to this?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Bit about career break will be a big change. That's it's the teacher on career break who may be redeployed, not the sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

Wow! Did not see that coming. Great news :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

read all it says........such as after year one your job MUST readvertised and interviewed for........such as principals having much more powers of redeployment.......read it all not just the headline grabber
    as with ALL the asti "deals" the devil is in the detail.
    people are only now seeing the effects of the reduced sick
    leave WE voted for.
    people bitching and moaning all week. we voted for it......or did not vote in many cases.
    the timing of this announcement is also very very cynical.......ballot on the way.......the asti seem happy with it though......and so the softening up process begins/continues
    anyway everyone should read it all before telling everyone the great news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

km79 wrote: »
    read all it says........such as after year one your job MUST readvertised and interviewed for........such as principals having much more powers of redeployment.......read it all not just the headline grabber
    leave WE voted for.
    people bitching and moaning all week. we voted for it......or did not vote in many cases.
    the timing of this announcement is also very very cynical.......ballot on the way.......the asti seem happy with it though......and so the softening up process begins/continues
    I don't see how that it would affect the ballot on including the power to strike as part of the industrial action against the JCSA. Even if some teachers don't know all the details of the JCSA, the question for them is simple: Are they willing to assess their students?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

teach432 wrote: »
    Does the email from the ASTI this evening re part-time teachers mean what I think it means?

CID after 2 years??

Think so

dory wrote: »
    Bit about career break will be a big change. That's it's the teacher on career break who may be redeployed, not the sub.

I thought that too on the initial reading but on reading it again it's the teacher who "provided the cover" ie the sub is put on the redeployment panel

Or so I understand it

leave WE voted for.

Yeah I am a bit iffy about posts being re advertised yearly - we have enough of that kinda s**te anyway of going to interviews that are "already gone"

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

I'm reading on the TUI website the key recommendations and I really don't think it's as good news as the headlines suggest. See here

So at the moment I am on a contract for 22 hours in a growing school and was delighted with myself. Having had maternity covers and other bits and pieces in previous years I thought this was my big break. However if I'm reading this correctly these hours will now be re-advertised next summer and I will have to interview again to remain in the school. Not good news from where I'm sitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Pwpane

leave WE voted for.
    Some dicey points there alright. I'd need to read it a couple of times.

People on career break and secondment get put on the redeployment panel when they come back??

Good for the part time teacher who replaces you - but it makes taking a career break a lottery with your future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭markjh

In that summary of recommendations linked above, does anyone think there is a contradiction between points 6 and 10... Point 6 seems to say that the teacher covering the career break (part-time) is placed on the redeployment panel.
    But point 10 seems to say the opposite... that it's the teacher who took the career break (the permanent teacher) who is placed on the redeployment panel?

Pwpane wrote: »
    Some dicey points there alright. I'd need to read it a couple of times.

People on career break and secondment get put on the redeployment panel when they come back??

Good for the part time teacher who replaces you - but it makes taking a career break a lottery with your future.
    Yeah it sure does.
    But do you what it's these people that won't read it cos they think it won't affect them. They will take career break. Come back and be told they are on redeployment list and then start bitchin and moaning!
    Just like the sick leave.
    All week I'm hearing how unfair and inequitable it is.
    I voted no in very ballot. I read up and educated myself on the changes it would mean. I was very unhappy we accepted the last few "deals" . I did not just look at the bits that affected me and say you know what that's not too bad at least my pay won't be cut .
    We are only starting to see the real details emerging.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

markjh wrote: »
    In that summary of recommendations linked above, does anyone think there is a contradiction between points 6 and 10... Point 6 seems to say that the teacher covering the career break (part-time) is placed on the redeployment panel.
    But point 10 seems to say the opposite... that it's the teacher who took the career break (the permanent teacher) who is placed on the redeployment panel?

No it doesn't.

Point 6 says that currently the teacher covering the career break should not be disqualified from elibigibility for a CID due to the hours being a career break and also that they be put on the redeployment panel when the other teacher has come back off career break.

Point 10 says that for implementation in the medium to long term future that a teacher that goes on career break , would be the one to go on the panel if they have been on career break for a determined number of years.

So No. 10 isn't set in stone yet, it will have to be decided how long they are on break before they would be put on the panel. I imagine it'll be more than 2 years anyway.

I'm not sure I agree with the point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

I would imagine this 'readvertising' element will see many a (RELATIVELY secure) NQT lose their current job to one of the glut of highly qualified unemployed teachers.The last few twelve month plus contracts in our place have gone to folks with Masters only .Seems to be an improvement on status quo but the devil is in the detail .

Principal's pets will thrive under this new regime while those who make any kind of stand on principle will be denied a CID or retained grudgingly on the minimum hours .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

The readvertising of posts is going to lead to so much more frustration about jobs being gone but going through the motions for the sake. Also makes the first year in the school a very long interview for whoever is temporary.

Moody_mona wrote: »
    The readvertising of posts is going to lead to so much more frustration about jobs being gone but going through the motions for the sake. Also makes the first year in the school a very long interview for whoever is temporary.

seems that this is going to suit management more than teachers so. the redeployment as well. and the s and s........separate unions needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Not a single recommendation regarding the splitting of contracts. We worked out this summer that half our staff are on less than full hours... The most recent job that came up in the school was split in three!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

If these recommendations are coming into effect in September 2015 would that mean a teacher currently in their first year of an RPT still has to wait three years regardless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

Thought I posted earlier. Don't seem to have email from asti. G am in my year 3 in same school. Not covering anybody. Am I now eligible for cid? Do I need to speak to principal or will it be done automatically?

Point 6 is gonna cause all kinds of problems in my school as the secondment hours have been used to keep CIDs under 18hrs....

• Advertisement

vamos! wrote: »
    Thought I posted earlier. Don't seem to have email from asti. G am in my year 3 in same school. Not covering anybody. Am I now eligible for cid? Do I need to speak to principal or will it be done automatically?

I don't think it has all been implemented yet and there is no word on what happens with people currently in contracts. With point 6 I would be entitled to a full CID as opposed to part time. The balance of my contracts have been secondment hours for the last three years so they would now be CID'able

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

I agree in theory it sounds good at first bite. But what about teachers on the subbing circuit. What about teachers covering maternity/sick leave? I think we still need a panel. Check out ASTI Fightbacks Facebook post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

CID after two years is worthless if there are no extra hours in the system.

The "mandatory re-advertising" of the job after one year is the ultimate get out clause for management.

As usual - Absolutely nothing delivered by the unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭amacca

CID after two years is worthless if there are no extra hours in the system.

The "mandatory re-advertising" of the job after one year is the ultimate get out clause for management.

As usual - Absolutely nothing delivered by the unions.

I agree…..bit by bit they are pulling the rug out from under the profession.

That is if they are not already standing on bare floor.

Funny thing is it will ultimately affect the standard of education … the thing they are supposed to be improving.

amacca wrote: »
    I agree…..bit by bit they are pulling the rug out from under the profession.

That is if they are not already standing on bare floor.

Funny thing is it will ultimately affect the standard of education … the thing they are supposed to be improving.

The ASTI and the TUI have little interest in the well being of those who pay their wages - the teacher.

This report is an insult to the temporary teacher.

There will be people leaving CIDs with so few hours on them. . . to take up temporary jobs.

The rug has long since been pulled from under the feet of the "profession" - calling teaching a "profession" is no longer viable in Ireland with these ongoing cuts.

Really looking forward to union capitulation on the JCSA.

Really looking forward to union capitulation on the JCSA.

Even if some teachers are not clued in about the JCSA, the following question should make it easy for them to understand:

Are you willing to assess your students? Yes or No.

Do they not know the extra workload that they'll be inviting if their answer to the above question is Yes?

endakenny wrote: »
    Even if some teachers are not clued in about the JCSA, the following question should make it easy for them to understand:

Are you willing to assess your students? Yes or No.

Do they not know the extra workload that they'll be inviting if their answer to the above question is Yes?

I assume he meant the capitulation from the union leadership first.
    its already happening. the timing of this new news...... the way its being spun...softening up

I assume he meant the capitulation from the union leadership first.
    its already happening. the timing of this new news...... the way its being spun...softening up

If permanent teachers constitute the majority of the membership of the ASTI then I don't see how the press release about contracts of indefinite duration would change their opinion about the JCSA.

The question still stands: Are they willing to assess their students?

Besides, is it not the case that many newly-qualified teachers would prefer to work in Dubai or Australia anyway, given the better weather and better working conditions that are associated with teaching in those places?

endakenny wrote: »
    If permanent teachers constitute the majority of the membership of the ASTI then I don't see how the press release about contracts of indefinite duration would change their opinion about the JCSA.

The question still stands: Are they willing to assess their students?

Besides, is it not the case that many newly-qualified teachers would prefer to work in Dubai or Australia anyway, given the better weather and better working conditions that are associated with teaching in those places?

They weren't willing to do Haddington Road - So new ballots and threats alongside a media campaign of intimidation (especially Independent Newspapers & RTE) forced teachers to change their decision.

Teachers are weak and compliant - The DES and their unions know this.

We'll be doing the JCSA and marking our own students

• Advertisement

They weren't willing to do Haddington Road - So new ballots and threats alongside a media campaign of intimidation (especially Independent Newspapers & RTE) forced teachers to change their decision.

Teachers are weak and compliant - The DES and their unions know this.

We'll be doing the JCSA and marking our own students
    peter I used to find myself agreeing with a bit of what you said
    now I agree with it all !

Advertisement