Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pig Ark

Options
  • 14-09-2014 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

Well!
    Going making a pig ark.....
    Galvanise or that felty stuff for the roof?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Well!
    Going making a pig ark.....
    Galvanise or that felty stuff for the roof?
    Cheers

I'm no expert by a long shot.. We've been keeping pigs for a few years for the table.. During the hot sunny weather they struggle in the sun and heat and spend a good deal of times indoors.. Galvanise heats up something shocking in direct sunlight.. Do these galvanise pig arcs not get like an oven inside??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Agree Brian - they are hot in the summer and condense like hell in the winter thereby ruining the bedding.
    I would go with timber roof with felt on the outside to waterproof it. Plenty of vents holes drilled high up in the apex or curve at the closed end to allow for air circulation.
    Saw a good example of a arc a few years ago on a farm in Cavan made from three 8x4x4 bales of straw and a simple roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Cheers lads.!
    That's what I was thinking meself.
    Thinking if I could get an auld spud crate and stick a roof on it?
    I seen the straw ones alright earlier on. Look handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Get a plastic calf hutch, the green one will hold a couple of decent size pigs no bother, has ventilation in the roof and needs no maintenance.
    Best thing for pigs IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Yeah......
    But I was planning on making one.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Fair enough,If you want to go down that road.
    I did the same and ended up buying a hutch.
    By the time you buy Galv roofing and timber it costs almost the same for a limited lifespan item.
    Post pics when you get it made.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Not a bad price on this JFC plastic Hutch.. shouldnt be too warm like galvanise versions would be..

http://www.donedeal.ie/farmsheds-for-sale/calf-hutch/7454235

Advertisement