Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sick of porridge

Options
  • 13-09-2014 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

I'm just a bit sick of porridge at the moment so I'm giving it a break for a month. I'm trying to keep my wheat intake down so that rules out weetabix. Is there any other cereals out there that are in anyways healthy that I can try for a month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Have you tried pinhead oats - same as rolled but a bit more nutty flavour and different texture...
    Just sayin...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Scrambled eggs.

OMANOMANOM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Scrambled eggs.

OMANOMANOM.

God, I'd have scrambled eggs everyday if I wasn't so crap at making them!:o They always turn out bad and then there's always that film at the end of the pan that's so hard to get off! Omelettes for me if I'm not having porridge or Greek yoghurt, chia seeds and cinnamon!:)

God, I'd have scrambled eggs everyday if I wasn't so crap at making them!:o They always turn out bad and then there's always that film at the end of the pan that's so hard to get off! Omelettes for me if I'm not having porridge or Greek yoghurt, chia seeds and cinnamon!:)

2 eggs, about 120ml of milk. Microwave for 90s. Then 30s. Then give 'em 20s blasts, keeping an eye on them. Beat the bejesus out of them after every blast. Only have microwave at work but works well.

I like them a bit creamier so drop some milk if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

That's exactly how I make mine Alf. Can't be bothered with faffing around with a saucepan. They only turn into a yellow rubber dome if you stick them on for too long and ignore them.

On the breakfast thing I've been having two smoked mackerel with scrambled egg for breakfast post training. It really fills me up and is tasty once you get your head around the fish for breakfast thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

2 eggs, about 120ml of milk. Microwave for 90s. Then 30s. Then give 'em 20s blasts, keeping an eye on them. Beat the bejesus out of them after every blast. Only have microwave at work but works well.

Cool, thank you will definitely try that!:)

After the first blast it might look like there is only a small bit looking like it might solidify anytime soon but you don't want to be giving it more than 30s at a time after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Got up very late this morning so had to go for the reserve box of corn flakes milk and banana :-( definitely trying alfs recipe tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 c0w3jz6eia8h9n

How about Oatibix?

That was tasty. Not sure I will have the patience to make it every morning but there are lovely.

• Advertisement

You must have very little patience.

It takes 3 spins, whisking with a fork and about 2 and a half minutes of your time!:pac:

You must have very little patience.

It takes 3 spins, whisking with a fork and about 2 and a half minutes of your time!:pac:

I must have been doing it wrong. Took a lot longer than that maybe double that at least.

How many eggs and how much milk?

Shouldn't take that long.

How many eggs and how much milk?

Shouldn't take that long.

It was 4.15am so no measuring done of the milk but I'm sure I was heavy handed so probably 200 and I had 3 medium eggs. There was a mountain off scrambled eggs :-)

It was 4.15am so no measuring done of the milk but I'm sure I was heavy handed so probably 200 and I had 3 medium eggs. There was a mountain off scrambled eggs :-)

Takes a bit longer alright. If I have ~240ml of egg white and 100ml of milk, the first blast in the microwave will be 2.5 minutes and another 40s and maybe a third of 20s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

That's exactly how I make mine Alf. Can't be bothered with faffing around with a saucepan. They only turn into a yellow rubber dome if you stick them on for too long and ignore them.

On the breakfast thing I've been having two smoked mackerel with scrambled egg for breakfast post training. It really fills me up and is tasty once you get your head around the fish for breakfast thing.

Is smoked mackerel particularly better than smoked salmon? This and scrambled eggs go well together

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Flahavans muesli - tastes lovely and has lots of different grains, seeds and fruit in it. I've not been able to find a muesli that tastes as nice.

Is smoked mackerel particularly better than smoked salmon? This and scrambled eggs go well together

Depends how you defin 'better' here.

Either would be good choices.

Especially smoked salmon which I could eat by the boatload.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Chop a tomato, and mix it in well before the last microblasht. And a shallot or two? Pretty much anything you'd add to an omelette can go in at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I must have been doing it wrong. Took a lot longer than that maybe double that at least.

How long is the hike from the microwave to the mixing station?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Oat pancakes.

60g oats
    1 egg
    150ml milk

Beat egg and add to oats. Gradually add milk while whisking. Leave in the fridge over night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Depends how you defin 'better' here.

Either would be good choices.

Especially smoked salmon which I could eat by the boatload.

Cool. Have salmon in the fridge. Would love to have some bread with this, anyone got anything against brown bread?

Cool. Have salmon in the fridge. Would love to have some bread with this, anyone got anything against brown bread?

Plenty of people of the idea that you should drop the bread. Maybe it would benefit you, maybe it wouldn't.

But don't look at any one piece of food in isolation. Look at what you're eating over the course of the day. If your diet has minimal processed food in it, you're doing well enough.

But a slice of brown bread won't break a diet that's good overall.

Unless you're coeliac, in which case it will break and you'lll be well acquainted with the jacks by the end of the day.

Advertisement