Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sega mega drive

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I still have my 22 year old Dell 386, Gateway 2000 Pentium 1 and Pentium 2 machines as well as various other bits and pieces (more pentium 2 stuff mostly).

Had an 8086 that was given away and an IBM 486 that got recycled (majorly regret that but it was an OEM business PC so it could have been worse)

I also got rid of the monitor for the 386 which I regret.. It was broken but it was only a damaged trim pot inside so it could have been easily fixed. Still works a charm otherwise 20130611_215324.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I remember seeing DS9: The Harbinger on my friends Cryix 686 yonks ago...it was mind blowing in comparison to what consoles were doing at the time :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I have a few old PCs up in the attic I never got rid of. DOS Box can only emulate so much but I think the big difference is sound. All you can really get is SoundBlaster 16 support, soundblaster unfortunately were always god awful soundcards. You can tinker around and get roland and gravis sound support but it never sounds the same. Some of the Gravis and Roland soundtracks are amazing for stuff like the Sierra games and System Shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Anybody know where I might be able to go rooting for old computers in Ireland or are they all in landfills at this stage? I've been hankering after the idea of doing a beige PC build in an old IBM or something. I'm guessing eBay is my old choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

I've seen some on adverts from time to time. You could try calling some local schools to see if they still have any lying around that they're looking to get rid of. There were still stacks of them in the school I went to when I finished up. Same with the primary school that was beside it. Some of them were still in use!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    soundblaster unfortunately were always god awful soundcards

When you had only PC Speaker, the Soundblaster sounded like angels licking your eardrums.

I only heard the (Brilliant!) proper music for GODS years later!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Never had a Gravis or MT Roland either. The gravis was expensive and near impossible to find and the MT Roland was the price of a Rolls Royce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Yeah me neither.. though I never knew how good they were back in the day. Have an MT-32 for Lucasarts games and a SC-55 for pretty much everything else (mainly Doom and build games)

It's great being able to buy all this cool stuff relatively cheap now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

Wow, I totally forgot about the fact you used to have to tune console reception in back in the day. Not that hard of a procedure as I recall but it'll make for a good 'back in my day!' tidbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,601 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The TV I first used my Megadrive on (a 19 inch Mitsubishi one) tuning was completely manual.

Each of the 12 (!) channels had a little band selector and scroll wheel for tuning.

You'd to use this white tool thing to flip to the band you wanted, then scroll the wheel to tune anything in.

The scroll wheel had teeth and after a while they'd start to leave imprints on your finger. Painful so it was!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 byrdbrayn

Lately I've had a hankering for a megaCD, have they held up well or would I just end up spending more than the total cost to get the thing running?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

They are robust enough.
    Should cost about 50 or 60 for a working one.
    Rage sell them for about that.

Master of the Universe

Yeah for such an early gen CD system they've fairly held up well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    They are robust enough.
    Should cost about 50 or 60 for a working one.
    Rage sell them for about that.

I know there's 2 or 3 different models of the Mega CD. what would Rage have, or at least what would they have more of?
    (Sorry if it seems like i'm asking silly questions :o )

They aren't that common so it's what they have at the time really. Mega CD 1 is the one I'd go for. The CD drive is apparently better even is the tray design is more prone to failure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, the combined Megadrive and Mega CD looks great, the MD2 with it's MCD2 not so much.
    The CDX/MultiMega is an all in one unit and is pretty nice, I hace one of those.

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Yeah, the combined Megadrive and Mega CD looks great, the MD2 with it's MCD2 not so much.
    The CDX/MultiMega is an all in one unit and is pretty nice, I hace one of those.

Its a shame sega didn't build a Mega CD 2 that sat under the system. Would have been a nice neat little console.

Flip tops are just cheaper and more reliable. With the Mega CD it was all totally new to them. There's a great story with Tom Kalinske in retrogamer about them testing the near final Mega CD hardware and the units kept bursting into flame. The drives they used were guaranteed for a 5% seek time which is fine for music but for games especially FMV ones with a 90-95% seek time during play they couldn't handle it so the drive was replaced with a much better one in the final moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Hi all

I recently re-located my Mega Drive 2 after it had been buried in the attic for nearly 20 years.

I had no games with it (they must have got dumped years ago!), so purchased a cheap one (Greatest Heavyweights - great boxing game from back in the day) and also a modern wire to connect it to the TV.

It turns on ok and the normal SEGA licensing jargon comes up but it seems to freeze when the SEGA logo comes up.

Anyone any advice, I am thinking it may be a lot of dust etc in the console, any good tips for cleaning?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Megadrives could survive a nuclear winter and so can the carts. The most likely thing is dirty cart connectors. Give the connectors a good wipe with a q tip with isopropyl alcohol or even water if you haven't got that and then dry it off. Should help. If not it could be a badly treated cart.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I loved Greatest Heavyweights, six button pad all the way for it though :) Definitely the issue sounds like dirt/contacts, give the cart contacts a good clean with a qtip & you should be ready to rumble

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Thanks folks, will give the qtip a shot, appreciate the feedback, cheers!

CPSW wrote: »
    Hi all

I recently re-located my Mega Drive 2 after it had been buried in the attic for nearly 20 years.

I had no games with it (they must have got dumped years ago!), so purchased a cheap one (Greatest Heavyweights - great boxing game from back in the day) and also a modern wire to connect it to the TV...

Thanks in advance for any help!

Before you do anything order an RGB cable for it, Megadrive II specific, and enjoy a massively improved screen image.
    Also, hunt down an old style tv, even without the RGB option, the console will look much better on it, rather than on a modern flat panel tv.
    If the old tv has an RGB channel, you are absolutely laughing, most Sony sets have it and Sony portables are fairly cheap.
    cheap Sony portable

Advertisement