Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

its coming! Google Nexus 9

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭corkie

steve_r wrote: »
    I ordered 16gb but that's cause I'd mainly use it for books and comics. Use Google music and Netflix as well so it's mainly games that would eat my space

For 16gb version there is only 11gb of storage left after the OS!
    For 32gb version there is only 25.6gb of storage left after the OS!

'The Talos Principle' launches on Android!
    Here's a surprise: Devolver Digital and Croteam's The Talos Principle, one of the top PC games of 2014, is out now on Android. But while it appears to be an exclusive to Nvidia hardware. This first-person puzzle game has you solving puzzles in a world that is a mixture of dilapidated ruins and advanced technology, with philosophical elements throughout the story. The game is available in episodic form on Google Play, with a $4.99 up-front purchase and five more episodes for $4.99 each. This makes it overall $10 cheaper than the full price of the PC version.

Google Play link!

The PC version has gotten pretty good reviews here!

Anyone get it yet? More than likely I'll try this out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭steve_r

Looks nice Corkie!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Thinking of picking one of these up to replace my iPad. Where is the cheapest place online or in store to get one? Been looking at them on Amazon. Seems like a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Friend claims a wee lag on his N9....anyone else notice this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭droidman123

Zipppy wrote: »

I have mine since november and its running smoothly.

Zipppy wrote: »

Mine is running fine! Tell your friend to clear cache from recovery and if that doesn't work maybe a factory reset!

I got "The Talos Principle" and the game runs fine on the automatic settings for the Nexus 9. It probably would run better on the Higher settings for The Shield TV console.

I'm enjoying playing it!

Edit: - I have completed the first chapter!

Need to unlock more chapters to progress pass level 3!

Completed the puzzles without looking at walkthroughs!

Needed to search the web to know where the Missing Star on level 3 is! Was also missing stars from Level 1 and 2, so had to look at hints for them as well!

Will get all chapters at once, because I have enjoyed the game so far!

Anyone else get it?

"The Talos Principle" game completed!

FYI: All puzzles are solvable using the touchscreen controls, even though at times, I thought I would never do some puzzles with touchscreen!

If anyone wants to know where the hidden stars are, this guide is good to tell you where they are. Without giving away the solution.

Another good guide for people who maybe stuck is available here (print version)

That was two weeks solid of enjoyable game play.

If you enjoyed the sigils puzzles of the game, there is a free game Sigils Of Elohim

Has anyone else been playing it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

I know it's a month since the last post but as this seems to be the main Nexus 9 thread I said I'd post here.

Planning on getting one of these on Wednesday, what games would be recommended that can really push this device?

Don't mind if they're paid or not.

Cheers.

Niemoj wrote: »
    I know it's a month since the last post but as this seems to be the main Nexus 9 thread I said I'd post here.

Planning on getting one of these on Wednesday, what games would be recommended that can really push this device?

Don't mind if they're paid or not.

Cheers.

Real racing 3
    Shardlands
    N. O. V. A
    Wgt golf

There are lots more, the above are just some of my personal favourites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Got a software update notification (6.0.1) which surprised me as I thought that's what I was already on. Anyway, tried to install and have started getting the following error:

"there's an internal problem with your device. Contact your manufacture for details"

Happens every time I not and the UI is now slow as hell, with what could be, at best, described as horrendous frame rate drops.

Anyone else come across this?

Got a software update notification (6.0.1) which surprised me as I thought that's what I was already on. Anyway, tried to install and have started getting the following error:

"there's an internal problem with your device. Contact your manufacture for details"

Happens every time I not and the UI is now slow as hell, with what could be, at best, described as horrendous frame rate drops.

Anyone else come across this?

Monthly Security updates for 6.0.1

Probably a corrupted update. If your bootloader is unlocked, you could flash the factory image and hopefully resolve it without wiping data.

If it is locked, you will need to wipe your device to be able to flash factory image. So backup your data and try a factory reset first.

Completely stock, have never touched it and download was OTA

Have tried to factory reset but it just keeps freezing when I get to the final "erase everything" button.

Have managed to get it reset through recovery but still getting the fecking message.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Is anyone else Nexus 9 gone dog slow?
    Its fine playing games but using it for internet browsing, or Facebook, or any other app, and its so slow.

Half considering picking up the Pixel C. :mad:

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Is anyone else Nexus 9 gone dog slow?
    Its fine playing games but using it for internet browsing, or Facebook, or any other app, and its so slow.

Half considering picking up the Pixel C. :mad:

Yeah in the last week or so mine has become almost unusable it's gone so slow and laggy.

Sorry for resurfaced thread! Anyone still with an operational N9 after 4 years?
    corkie wrote: »
    Edit: Just ordered 32GB Black wifi model - Hope I don't regret it. For whatever future reasons!
    Edit: I cancel my order with amazon, and placed one with google play. Which works out cheaper than amazon.

My tablet still functions but with a degraded battery, it freezes up (with static) when battery power is low.

Took advantage of Aliexpress 11/11.

Just ordered a battery for €15.14 of aliexpress (incl of shipping).
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OriWood-new-BOP82100-genuine-battery-for-HTC-TH1-google-nexus-9-8-9-tablet-PC-6700mah/32880860582.html

Also just tried the trick of disconnecting the battery, and now in the process of draining it completely, so to re-calibrate it.

Was not going to bother until I saw this reddit thread and got curious for what a replacement would cost.

Mine is still goin strong, with SlimROM. Battery is still decent. It's slow enough when opening chrome (I think due to feck all RAM), but it's effectively a YouTube machine for the little one now, and works perfectly. Touch wood!

Is the back easy to get off to replace the battery? Any soldering involved?

I must check AccuBattery to see how healthy my battery is. Be good to have a backup just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭steve_r

Our one still works - not amazing but still works. Battery poor at this point but we can live with that. Suprised its outlasted a lot of our devices!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭micks_address

steve_r wrote: »
    Our one still works - not amazing but still works. Battery poor at this point but we can live with that. Suprised its outlasted a lot of our devices!

i picked up one on adverts during the summer for watching vids on holidays... not bad.. id say it didnt get much use as battery is fine.. the screen has a little burn in where the on screen buttons are.. running lineage os on it..

• Advertisement

Is the back easy to get off to replace the battery? Any soldering involved?

No soldering just gently pry the back open with a plastic tool.

^^^ Expensive battery linked from that video!

Just checked there. My battery health is 5500mAh so that's a loss of 1200mAh. Not too bad.

I saw online there was talk of soldering in new RAM modules, which I think would make a huge difference!!

Just checked there. My battery health is 5500mAh so that's a loss of 1200mAh. Not too bad.

I saw online there was talk of soldering in new RAM modules, which I think would make a huge difference!!

Accubattery needs a few charging cycles (powered on) to get accurate readings, so if you only load the app in yesterday, give it a week or two.

Just put the app on my own today, so will see in a fortnight to a month, around the time my replacement should arrive hopefully.

Have you a link to the discussion on increase the ram on the device?
    What i have checked on XDA, sound s like you end up with a brick or a device that can not utilize the extra ram due to kernel etc.

Was most likely XDA I saw it.

I would have thought something like LineageOS wouldn't have a RAM limitation, considering it's built for so many devices with so many different combinations of RAM and CPU etc.
    I'd have guessed that it'd search for RAM etc at boot, like a good old fashioned POST, and just used what was available. Unless its hardcoded into a closed source kernel or something.

Was most likely XDA I saw it.

I would have thought something like LineageOS wouldn't have a RAM limitation, considering it's built for so many devices with so many different combinations of RAM and CPU etc.
    I'd have guessed that it'd search for RAM etc at boot, like a good old fashioned POST, and just used what was available. Unless its hardcoded into a closed source kernel or something.

Can you upgrade the RAM of an Android device?
    You can't. Most smart phones are designed as a System-on-Chip; which means that the CPU, RAM, GPU, device controllers, etc are all in a single chip. Updating RAM in such system means replacing a whole lot of other stuffs. Not to mention that you probably would have a hard time finding a chip with different specification which fits perfectly into the hole that was left behind after you dismounted the chip; due to size restrictions, the components around the chip are designed to fit tightly into the available space.

Even if you did replace the RAM chip, the code to enable it is more than likely embed in property code on Vendor partition and maybe the kernel.

There is this thread on XDA but the author never got around to posting a guide or provide proof that he actually achieved it.

LineageOS and all other custom roms, need specific device builds (except outside of Treble enabled roms).

I would not recommend believing in Accubattery's health report's of your battery.

After 4 charges (while powered on), I'm getting estimate 5,622 mAh (84%), and after 4 years and usage patterns plus piss poor SOT. My battery health should be a lot worse than reported. Especially with the static freezes.

Also it is know that the app only reports estimates to around 90% of capacity. Two other devices, I have with much more charge cycles have been reporting that level. A newer device and a device with a replacement battery.

It due to the 10% the app can not read in the extremes (5% both ends).

How does a phone battery percentage display work?

After disconnecting+reconnecting the battery, and a re-calibration, as recommended on reddit, the device is no longer freezing with static. At least has not happened since I did that. But that is also report as a temporary solution and the problem may reappear.

Took advantage of Aliexpress 11/11.

Just ordered a battery for €15.14 of aliexpress (incl of shipping).
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OriWood-new-BOP82100-genuine-battery-for-HTC-TH1-google-nexus-9-8-9-tablet-PC-6700mah/32880860582.html

Battery arrived yesterday, reliable and genuine battery received.

Put it through a test yesterday, 12 Hours of use, 4 and half hours SOT, 20% Battery remaining.

Improvement from my degraded battery, that was lucky to last 5 hours and barely reach 2 Hours SOT.

Accubattery app will require a few charge cycles to get accurate estimated capacity. After 1 over night charge from 20%>> Health 93% ~~ 6,217 mAh

Thanks for that corkie,i was giving up on my nexus 9,but i might give that ali express batrery a go,showing at $18 but still a worthwhile deal.is it really as straight forward to change the battery as the guy in the video makes it look?

Thanks for that corkie,i was giving up on my nexus 9,but i might give that ali express batrery a go,showing at $18 but still a worthwhile deal.is it really as straight forward to change the battery as the guy in the video makes it look?

Yes it is that easy, 5 to 10 mins job.

But had a practice run to just disconnect battery before hand, so had an idea of the procedure.

All you need is the plastic pry tool, which I had from a previous battery purchase for my Kenzo.
    Edit: - Tool not provided from aliexpress seller with battery.

Edit 2: - The device wouldn't turn on at first with new battery, until I connected it to a powerbank.

s-l300.jpg

• Advertisement

Did you order the same battery?
    Looks like that particular seller, doesn't stock it anymore.
    There is others that have it.

About 2 weeks for delivery, so doubt you have received it yet.

Advertisement