Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy Lunches

Options
  • 11-09-2014 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭

At the moment I'm pretty much eating 2 dinners a day. For lunch I would eat maybe 3 chicken gujons with potato wedges or oven chips or if not chicken a snack size pizza. Other days a hot chicken roll or a meat sandwich. Then in the evening a regular meal of potatoes, carrots and whatever meat.

I need to change lunch, but to what? Just a sandwich and a yoghurt or something different.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Soup? Salad? Smaller portions of what youre currently eating?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I just have 2 dinners as well. My lunch in work is usually left overs from dinner the night before. Just make your dinners healthier and you'll have healthier lunches this way. 2 birds with one stone and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I usually make up a soup to do me for a week, at the moment it's roast chicken soup with tonnes of veg from garden,

I don't do sandwiches and it's all down to preparation, if I have something ready I don't eat badly.

Depends on what you like, one of the girls I work with eats peanut butter & oat cakes & fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭MiloDublin

Try chickpeas. They are filling and have a lot of protein. Soak overnight and then cook for an hour. Mix in lardons, oil, vinegar and spring onions.
    I lost weight eating these and other pulses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Amboise

I've been making frittatas a lot for lunches lately. I usually get 4 lunches out of each one (made with 6-8 eggs depending on recipe) and eat with some kind of side salad. I've frozen portions without any problems. There's lot of different fillings you can try for variety. There's some good ideas on the Bord Bia and the BBC good food website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭anewme

An instructor in my gym told me, never fill up with your food where you fill up with fuel and that has stuck with me. Your lunches seem of the Garage type, ie, over processed junk.

Guy in work thinks he is eating healthy, one of those spicy chicken fillet baguettes loaded with coleslaw. The healthy bit must be the bit of tomato and lettuce.

Do you have a microwave in work? I often bring a load of veggies cut up and then crack 2 eggs into it and it comes out like a fritatta. 2 minute jobbie. Soup is a good one. Also, have this brilliant steamer, again veggies at the bottom, salmon fillet on top and into the microwave for 6 minutes. Tastes fab.

It's really all about preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Im not that good for eating fruit &veg unfortunately. I do suffer a bit with constipation and this may be partially to blame.
    Is it a case of just reducing portion sizes at lunch and then eating dinner as normal? I don't eat a very varied diet and I know thats not that good. I usually just eat one of a number of things I like for whatever meal.

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Im not that good for eating fruit &veg unfortunately. I do suffer a bit with constipation and this may be partially to blame.
    Is it a case of just reducing portion sizes at lunch and then eating dinner as normal? I don't eat a very varied diet and I know thats not that good. I usually just eat one of a number of things I like for whatever meal.

Maybe it's time to broaden your horizons a bit then? If you are constantly eating the likes of potato wedges, those shop cooked coated chicken fillets, chicken gougons, pizzas, oven chips, then no wonder you suffer from constipation. I would not even call eating that a dinner. It's just pure junk. Sorry to be blunt.

Where are you getting your nutrition from?

anewme wrote: »
    Maybe it's time to broaden your horizons a bit then? If you are constantly eating the likes of potato wedges, those shop cooked coated chicken fillets, chicken gougons, pizzas, oven chips, then no wonder you suffer from constipation. I would not even call eating that a dinner. It's just pure junk. Sorry to be blunt.

Where are you getting your nutrition from?

That would be more a lunch. For dinner I would eat Potato cooked in any variety of ways, Carrot and whatever meat. I cant argue re Nutrition though, I do sometimes take multivitamins to help with that.
    Do people post their typical diets here? Don't post that often but can do that in another thread.

That would be more a lunch. For dinner I would eat Potato cooked in any variety of ways, Carrot and whatever meat. I cant argue re Nutrition though, I do sometimes take multivitamins to help with that.
    Do people post their typical diets here? Don't post that often but can do that in another thread.

Dont post your entire diet, but just wondering where you would get your nutrition from, on a typical day. As you said, you tend to eat the same things over and over, so your week is probably quite similar.

I am not sure what you are asking people, you asked for advice re healthy lunches, but when they give you advice yet you've come back and said but you only eat X or Y. So, if you only eat rubbish then you can't have a healthy lunch.

Obviously sandwich (not a take away convenience shop one) and yoghurt is more healthy than a gougons and wedges and obviously a smaller portion of gougons and wedges is better than a big portion, but still that's not really healthy. So am not sure what you would like people to tell you, if your diet is that limited.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Well a better solution to what you're currently doing would be to eat a lunch similar to what you eat for dinner rather than any combination of crap from a Deli. If you insist on using a deli, don't get anything from the hot counter. Get a sandwich with cold unbreaded meat and some healthier fillings.

None of this is going to be a balanced diet but it will be an improvement on what you are doing. Try new foods would be my suggestion. Watch portion sizes if weight is an issue.

I'm a 23 year old male. Height 5ft7 roughly and weigh in or around 10 stone. So weight isn't really an issue. I was lighter and have put up some weight but I wouldn't want to put on much more.
    I only eat from a deli once pr twice a week at most. Was twice this week because I was on the go all day yesterday and needed something handy but didn't think of that when I got one earlier in the week.
    Today my lunch is a Demi baguette filled with deli ham and some butter and a sweet after.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I'm a 23 year old male. Height 5ft7 roughly and weigh in or around 10 stone. So weight isn't really an issue. I was lighter and have put up some weight but I wouldn't want to put on much more.
    I only eat from a deli once pr twice a week at most. Was twice this week because I was on the go all day yesterday and needed something handy but didn't think of that when I got one earlier in the week.
    Today my lunch is a Demi baguette filled with deli ham and some butter and a sweet after.

Coild you ask the deli counter to put ham lettuice tomato etc into a container and replace the sweet with an apple? Healtier, just as convenient, probably the same price as the sandwich but has more vitamins and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    I usually make up a soup to do me for a week, at the moment it's roast chicken soup with tonnes of veg from garden,

I don't do sandwiches and it's all down to preparation, if I have something ready I don't eat badly.

Depends on what you like, one of the girls I work with eats peanut butter & oat cakes & fruit.

sorry to hijack the thread but could you post a recipe for this soup please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Don't take this the wrong way but you may find that if you continue eating these foods regularly and in large portions, you may find that in a few years your weight will start creeping up and various health issues crop up. I've seen this happen with myself and all the younger brothers heading into their 30's.

Have a look at the stickies re nutrition on this forum, try and experiment with new foods and veggies each day/week so your diet is more varied.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What do you eat for lunch on the days you don't go to the deli?

What do you eat for lunch on the days you don't go to the deli?

I only go there maybe once or twice a week. Other days it might be a Ham or Turkey sandwich/bread roll, or maybe a snack size pizza and some potato wedges.
    Some days i've started having tortilla wraps instead of sliced bread or rolls and maybe soon replace the sweet after with a yoghurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I only go there maybe once or twice a week. Other days it might be a Ham or Turkey sandwich/bread roll, or maybe a snack size pizza and some potato wedges.

So, basically the same type of food.
    Some days i've started having tortilla wraps instead of sliced bread or rolls and maybe soon replace the sweet after with a yoghurt.

Tortilla wraps are not necessarily better. There might be as many if not more calories in a wrap as there are in two slices of bread.

Maybe start subbing a piece of fruit for the sweet/yoghurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The_Mask

anewme wrote: »

It's really all about preparation.

^This^

Advertisement