Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What ever happened to Half Life 3?

Options
  • 11-09-2014 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

and the remaining Episodes they were doing?

I thought they had big plans for this? Has there been internal problems, has it been shelved?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

i_want_to_believe___half_life_3_by_gigahertzzz-d5pinxp.jpg

• Oh no another HL3 thread. Bump spectaculare

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭erkifino

They released back in '09. It was meh...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,152 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It changed name halfway through development to Ride to Hell Retribution. You should pick it up, it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Just stop. Please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Oh_No_You_Didn__t-300x277.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

A simple answer or link would end this thread quicker than bitching about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

waiting_skeleton.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,152 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

py2006 wrote: »

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Valve were bought out by EA who didn't see any further value in the franchise instead deciding to focus on MMORPGs DOTA2 and TF2

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

py - I'm not sure how you've managed to miss it, but Half-Life 3's release is something of an urban myth and is only mentioned in hushed tones on Gaming forums which is why you're getting the responses you're getting.

Nothing happened to it. It has never been announced nor has it ever existed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

There's plenty of better games than HL2 so I fail to see why the sequel should be so anticipated.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

py2006 wrote: »

So much irony in one sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It's a long running joke on the net at this point that it'll never come out. Or maybe it will, Valve are well in on the joke anyway and play up to it without ever saying whether or not it's coming.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

They will release it after Source 2 is released, but they'll do it when they feel like it. It's too big a name to not release it. Maybe we'll see a re-release of the last few games ported to Source 2, followed by HL3?

The internet will explode the day they do announce it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They have a chance to set another milestone by making a VR optimized game, a half life game made specifically for VR would be pretty epic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Kiith wrote: »
    They will release it after Source 2 is released, but they'll do it when they feel like it. It's too big a name to not release it. Maybe we'll see a re-release of the last few games ported to Source 2, followed by HL3?

The internet will explode the day they do announce it though.

I got a bad feeling Half-Life'3 is going to end up like Duke Nukem Forever...

I sincerely hope it doesn't, I love the HL series!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,378 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I've always presumed that HL3 was being kept back as a way of giving the Steam box a proper kick start once the consumer version of the platform is released.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I think it is pretty much assumed (although there is not much actual evidence to back this up, just hearsay and the like) that Valve had started work on Episode 3 but decided to shelve it to pursue other projects such as Left 4 Dead and Portal. Valve have also said that they suffered a lack of innovation when it came to Episode 3 and the Half Life series as a whole and felt that they were not breaking new ground anymore. Therefore Valve felt that they needed to pursue different ideas / go back to the drawing board with Half Life entirely which saw them moving on to new projects. As time went on it became apparent that it would not be possible to make an Episode 3 and that the next step would likely have to be an entire new installment.

Personally I think that Valve have had a team assigned to working on the next Half Life since Episode 2, and this team was probably a small one to focus on concepts and the like for quite a long time. They have probably been left to their own devices while Valve as a whole focused more so on multiplayer games / community Steam elements. However I still feel that a new Half Life is in development, and that the team is growing in size!

Now I know that a fair bit of wishful thinking is mixed in there. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Perhaps a new Orange Box with the previous games in the series updated for the current consoles and PCs, including Black Mesa.
    Sell it as a prelude to HL3, John the Baptist to Jesus kinda thing.

It's unlikely to suck, Valve don't make sh1te games, not yet anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 15,329 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Im gonna go with numerous rebuilds of the game coupled with Source 2 being introduced to delaying this game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Anything less than a universal sway in the way we view videogames will be a mass disappointment in my book.

It won game of the decade - the hype is there to create something revolutionary. With that said I think the've began on numerous occasions and scrapped it. They want it to be perfect. We want it to be perfect.

These things take time. I know it doesn't seem like it now but Valve are under no pressure to meet numbers. They already make an absurd amount of money from Steam, DotA & TF2 markets and tournaments they hold that they can sit back, work on HL3, pump stupid amounts of money into their baby and release it whenever they want under the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Valve have also said that they suffered a lack of innovation when it came to Episode 3 and the Half Life series as a whole and felt that they were not breaking new ground anymore.
    That's why I think they should go for a VR specific HL3. HL2 is already showing some of the best innovations on fps in the oculus rift and it's only people messing about at this stage.

Although I suppose a business would see developing a highly anticipated title like Half life for a niche market as a very big gamble. They'd have to depend on their game and the rift becoming such a sensation that it encouraged loads of people to buy high end PCs which I suppose isn't going to happen. The problem is if they wait for the rift to catch on they'll have missed the boat on the innovation side of things.

Sonys VR headset could be the deciding factor though. If that works they could at least have the PS market to aim for.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Dayum wrote: »
    Anything less than a universal sway in the way we view videogames will be a mass disappointment in my book.

So...no pressure :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

ScumLord wrote: »
    Sonys VR headset could be the deciding factor though. If that works they could at least have the PS market to aim for.

True.

Playstation is set, PC is set in relation to VR's.

I think VR's need to be a key component of HL3. But I also think they'll be looking to draw the Steambox into the mix in some capacity? Perhaps a timed-exclusive?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ripperman

Kiith wrote: »
    So...no pressure :pac:

I always wondered is this the reason why we havnt heard anything about a third half life yet. I'd imagine it has become a huge stone around the developers neck forever gaining weight. The more time passes the more expectations increase. I wouldn't be suprised if it has become a terrible burden for them at this stage as I fear that a third one couldnt possibly live up to peoples expectations now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,974 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Maybe it should be the game that launches our personal holosuites.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Well, as HL2 was used to launch Steam (and let us never forget how completely and utterly broken and fked that launch was), HL3 would probably be the best means to launch something else new. SteamOS/Steam Boxes seems like a good candidate (cause there's literally no other reason to buy a Steam Box, they are an answer to a problem no one has), but I'm sure *something* might have leaked out at this stage if this was the case.

the other major thing is, as they have said, the real need for HL3 to be a game changer because there's all this hype, all this expectation and a massively flooded marketplace since HL2 was launched, so it can't just be a story driven FPS, but I'm damned if I can figure out what it does need :D

Advertisement