Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astec alarm

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SeeDubbleYew

Hi, I am getting a battery fault. How do I know if it's the main battery or the bell box battery? Can anybody send me a copy of the engineers manual. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi, I am getting a battery fault. How do I know if it's the main battery or the bell box battery? Can anybody send me a copy of the engineers manual. Thanks

The battery fault you are getting is the battery in the control panel.
    The external bell has a battery. If you wanted to test this you could down power the system completely, mains and battery and it should ring.

Sent you the manual by P.M.

Tested the external as you suggested, no sound. Tested it through engineers test, and no sound either. Looks like connection to external sounder needs testing, will have to get the ladder out next week. I suspect it must be something to do with the battery, because fault only appeared after a power cut.

altor wrote: »
    The battery fault you are getting is the battery in the control panel.
    The external bell has a battery. If you wanted to test this you could down power the system completely, mains and battery and it should ring.

Sent you the manual by P.M.

Thanks for the manual btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Whats the best way to test the smoke alarms on this system?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    Whats the best way to test the smoke alarms on this system?

Press the test button :)

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

Hi,
    I just want to add on to this thread with another sensor issue I have on my Astec alarm. All my upstairs window are in Zone 5. The last few nights I've been woken up with the alarm beeping for a bit, before it fully goes off (see picture below). I have 2 questions about this......

(1) There's no contact sensor on the upstairs windows - just vibration ones, so I don't understand how its giving a beeping warning before it goes off. Does this point to a more serious problem in the main system, rather than sensors?

(2) If it is just a dodgy sensor, how do I find out which one it is, there's 9 upstairs? Is there a test you can run from the control panel to test each individual sensor, or else I think I've heard you can take out each sensor and run a resistance test on them to find a faulty one? I have a multimeter for this if necessary
    23h7ucx.jpg
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Press the test button :)

I've always wondered about this though. That just proves that the alarm has got power - how do I know that it can actually detect smoke i.e. the detector is clogged up with dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Sequence 365

kelbal wrote: »
    Hi,
    I just want to add on to this thread with another sensor issue I have on my Astec alarm. All my upstairs window are in Zone 5. The last few nights I've been woken up with the alarm beeping for a bit, before it fully goes off (see picture below). I have 2 questions about this......

(1) There's no contact sensor on the upstairs windows - just vibration ones, so I don't understand how its giving a beeping warning before it goes off. Does this point to a more serious problem in the main system, rather than sensors?

(2) If it is just a dodgy sensor, how do I find out which one it is, there's 9 upstairs? Is there a test you can run from the control panel to test each individual sensor, or else I think I've heard you can take out each sensor and run a resistance test on them to find a faulty one? I have a multimeter for this if necessary
    23h7ucx.jpg
    thanks

It's sounds like your entry contact on the front door is faulty & you are getting the beeping because the entry time is starting . Or you have another entry /exit contact wired into the system on another window or door

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    I've always wondered about this though. That just proves that the alarm has got power - how do I know that it can actually detect smoke i.e. the detector is clogged up with dust.

For the reasons you have mentioned above it is recommended to have these detectors replaced every 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It's sounds like your entry contact on the front door is faulty & you are getting the beeping because the entry time is starting . Or you have another entry /exit contact wired into the system on another window or door

If you have a faulty device or connection on any zone it can incorrectly register as contact entry. The best way to find it is check the resistance on that whole zone.
    Disconnect the zone from the panel & remove any end of line resistors,
    Set you meter to 200 ohms and connect the pair to the 2 meter leads.
    On a length of cable long enough to reach all your windows on zone 5.
    Make a note of the reading in ohms. One by one tap every sensor & open and close every contact. After a tap or an open close the resistance should return to the around the same value. If it does not disconnect that device , close offthe pair wired into it & move on. Replace any that you had to close off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 auralabuse

Hi, I have a faulty sensor which is bypassed for the time being but want to replace. Could I get the installation manual sent on?, I can get the engineers code from original installer, many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

auralabuse wrote: »
    Hi, I have a faulty sensor which is bypassed for the time being but want to replace. Could I get the installation manual sent on?, I can get the engineers code from original installer, many thanks.

The installation manual won't tell you anything on how to replace a sensor. Just ring around electrical suppliers and say you're looking for a sensor to work on an Astec alarm. I've gotten ones before that are HKC brand which work fine. Got them from REW in Finglas. Very simple to install.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The sensor will work fine, if there is a contact built in you will need to convert it or it won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 auralabuse

Hey, I'm replacing like with like from an uninstall elsewhere. Still looking for installers manual if anyone can forward on, cheers

I have PMed you that manual.

Advertisement