Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incorporating oily fish into my diet

Options
  • 08-09-2014 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭

I'm cutting (low-carb) at the moment, while doing Insanity, and am trying to find reasonable things to eat for lunch. Usually I eat a couple of chicken breasts with some salad, and although I love it I want to ensure I don't get bored of it.

I also had my cholesterol checked and it came in at 5.7, which is borderline high, so am trying to incorporate some oily fish into my diet along with nuts and Benecol. Lunch is the perfect place for this to happen as my wife doesn't like fish so we don't have to worry about different meals for dinner.

I tried some smoked mackerel today - it was lovely, parsley and lemon flavoured. 220g, which filled me up nicely for lunch, but there's nearly 700 calories and 50g of fat in it!! I know it's unsaturated fat, but still, how can I have that much fat and calories for lunch and still eat a reasonable dinner, which I'll still require?

Would I be better off taking fish oil supplements and sticking with the chicken or should I just cut something else out of my diet on the days I eat fish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

SuprSi wrote: »
    I'm cutting (low-carb) at the moment, while doing Insanity, and am trying to find reasonable things to eat for lunch. Usually I eat a couple of chicken breasts with some salad, and although I love it I want to ensure I don't get bored of it.

I also had my cholesterol checked and it came in at 5.7, which is borderline high, so am trying to incorporate some oily fish into my diet along with nuts and Benecol. Lunch is the perfect place for this to happen as my wife doesn't like fish so we don't have to worry about different meals for dinner.

I tried some smoked mackerel today - it was lovely, parsley and lemon flavoured. 220g, which filled me up nicely for lunch, but there's nearly 700 calories and 50g of fat in it!! I know it's unsaturated fat, but still, how can I have that much fat and calories for lunch and still eat a reasonable dinner, which I'll still require?

Would I be better off taking fish oil supplements and sticking with the chicken or should I just cut something else out of my diet on the days I eat fish?

Cholesterol comes from animals, so cutting down on the animal produce will help. Simply try having 1 or 2 meals a week with no animal produce but still include fish in your diet.

Variety is key, keep one eye on the cholesterol though.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Glitter

Try baking 1-2 salmon darnes and have those with your salad instead of the chicken breast. They're about 200 cals each with the skin on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Thanks - I didn't think about salmon and I really like it. It's still an oily fish too and with less calories and fat than mackerel should be a really good alternative.

I'll check it out on Friday when doing the weekly shopping :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Tinned sardines are good too. I normally buy these ones as the chilli and bay leaf add a bit of flavour http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=271184096

Advertisement