Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭tanko

No, it’s too late putting them in calf imo and unless they’re top quality breeding heifers it’s a waste of time no matter when they’re calving. You see lots of average or poor quality in calf heifers sold in marts that would make more if they weren’t in calf every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,214 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

How did you manage to train him to walk on the ceiling?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

If the blue is a real nice stylish heifer it could be worth your while sticking an add on Done Deal showing her and saying she will be in X Mart on such a day, then one of those lunatics that are giving big money for the fancy heifers to put in calf might buy her to put in calf and sell next November 12 months. Fatten the other one if it doesn't suit you to calf her. Sell her in the mart as a young cow heifer and you could do rightly, there does be a lad in Carnaross buying them and giving good money, story is he is exporting them to the North where he is getting heifer price in the factory. It's the only way to explain the money he gives for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

@tanko @Anto_Meath thanks for the replies. I think the fat route is the best route. I wasn't even thinking about AI until someone mentioned it and I wasn't keen to do it at this time of year as it would be a limited market and they are just nowhere near good enough for fellas to buy out of sync with their own herds.

Is the run up to Christmas best time to sell fat cows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

It would depend on the age of the cow, if she is young try and get her away before she is either 36 or 48 months if you can , some factories will pay more for younger animals. Come up to Christmas there can be a lot of cows about so trade can be back, suckler cows that aren't back in calf some lads just want rid of them. You often find a good trade for fat / heavy cows in March / April if you had them. Let her rear her calf and then feed well for 6 -8 weeks and see where you are then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Heard feeder cows are making good money, 750kg with no flesh, calf just weaned €1730

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Travellers from a local halting site broke into an industrial complex here. The security guards locked them in with the automatic gate. They scattered across our fields leaving their registered car behind them. They wer after diesel from parked lorries.

Today I found a barbed wire fence between fields all strained. Couldn't figure why the top wire was strained up and the lower one all down. Unusual for cattle to do that. Found this bit of fabric on one of the barbed twists. Hmmm .... one for Columbo I think. 😎

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Unfortunately @patsy_mccabe as this recession bites harder we are going to experience more and more of these types of scenarios. Years ago a good lock and a heavy chain would deter most but nowdays with battery angle grinders it only takes seconds for the unscrupulous to gain entry. A couple of good barking dogs and security lighting will hopefully help us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There was footage these past few days online of two men in jeans and dealer boots going into a cubicle house to steal a power washer.

The night vision on the camera picked them up first before the sensor light of the camera came on. The first lad in frame took a jump when the light came on and then put no pass on it. Second lad came into frame and nearly ignored it.

Caps on their head, scarves over their faces and gloves on their hands.

A bit of a wound or tougher sentences are the only answer. The way it's going though the second is unlikely and the first could go either way.

A lot to be said for the Docility Index. 😀

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Only one solution there. I know they’re bred for temperament but that’s mad.

Did you ever see the video from the Azores of the lads dosing and tagging the weanlings. There was butts of calves attacking the group of lads standing in the corner of the walled area that eventually catch them. It gives an insight into just how aggressive the breed is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I did. Pure madness. Wonder what the meat would be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Jim Simmental

Wouldn’t fancy trying to get that lad in a for a TB test 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭Grueller

Might not be too hard if you could get the pickup up the crush ahead of him😉

I've a nice heifer that hasn't gone in calf. Correct size and age. Was seen with the bull, but not getting served. Vet examined and all looks good internally. Advice was to CIDR her in order to try to kick start her cycles. In good condition - would be BCS 3.

I don't want to put her in calf now, would I be best holding off the CIDR until when I want to put her in calf - probably May/June time? Advice was CIDR only should be sufficient - no estrumate should be needed. I think I should go ahead with it now and get her cycling ASAP - even though she won't get bulled.

Any thoughts? Not going to sell her without at least trying this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭tanko

A shot of estrumate on its own should get her going without a CIDR imo, i’d try that first.

Did the vet scan her?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭High bike

As tanko says the estrumat on its own should do the trick,worked for me a few mts back but she missed

Yes. Scanned and internals look good. No calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,269 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Could she be early in calf? Like is she still running with the bull and scanning didn't pick her up?

• Advertisement

Vet said she can see them from 1 month onwards. So she'd be too far out of sync with the others if under a month. A shot of estrumate to get rid of the calf would probably be better if that was the case.

Whether estrumate or CIDR - getting her cycling now would be better than letting this drag on into next year, correct?

I'll be taking her from bull and putting her alongside some young heifers to prevent anything happening.

Post edited by funkey_monkey on

Seems to be bulling today. Is that correct or a bit soon - week on from the injection?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭High bike

3 to 5 days is what vet told me and I think she came in day 5

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭Grueller

How much weight would you expect cattle to lose when going to mart and stepping on the scales at around 13:00 - 14:00? Would be without food from 7:30am onwards.

AFAIK it's more to do with dehydration than lack of feed. Cattle will piss and defecate a lot more when they are nervous and it's the reason (when I used to show pedigree cattle) to feed them hay for a few days before travelling. I've heard accounts of anywhere between 20 to 60 kgs lw depending on the age of the cattle, miles travelled and how long they are at a mart or factory lairage without water.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

I weighed my weanlings on a Saturday before they went on a Tuesday. Based on the weights they lost on average 25-30kg over the 7hrs til they sold.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Our weighbridge might be okay then. I thought the scales would need calibrated as the undercarriage is free moving. Couldn't understand how or cattle were weighing so light at the mart. I knew they would weigh less but didn't think it would be that much.

Advertisement