Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Prius advice needed!

Options
  • 05-09-2014 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I saw some excellent threads in here and I reckon this is the place to ask.

I'm interested in buying a Prius but my budget is only about 4500 a 5k.

Spotted this on adverts http://adverts.ie/6200161

What does everyone think? A good deal? My knowledge is mostly in old Jap imports, nothing else.

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Can I ask why a Prius in particular?

The older the car, the older the hybrid drive and the more expensive the potential faults with it. Mk II Prius arent even as economical as a decent diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Tbh, I'm not sure. I currently drive a semi auto 1.3 diesel corsa with an average mpg of about 60. I love it but the gearbox is on the way out at 130k miles

I can only drive automatics, so when this popped up I guessed I'd consider it as a potential purchase.

140,000 Kms on a Prius is hardly run in !

The prius with proper maintenance will last north of 400,000 (MILES) with only a gearbox oil change needed every 100,000 miles because the motor and generator are in the gearbox this oil needs to be changed, mine was manky and I'm glad it was done. It's not part of the toyota service scheduled but independent studies on the U.S prius forum suggested it wise to change the oil. It's pretty easy to diy. But always make sure you open the filler plug first because obviously if you drain it and you can't open the filler plug your in a spot of bother ! oh and don't make the mistake and open the coolant plug !

The coolant should be done too at about 100,000 miles, I have not done this yet. It's not diy ! you do not want air locks !

The gear box is pretty simple with a single fixed gear there is nothing much to go wrong despite having the traction motor and generator in there too.

If that prius has a full Toyota service history with all the recalls done after the usual checks it should be bullet proof.

Recalls include the water pumps, steering, and accelerator.

If the battery is low on a test drive it will have a notable reduction in power, don't worry because it will charge as you drive and slow down.

The idea is not to press ev mode and use up the battery, ev mode is for when you're stopped at lights and the engine decides it wants to stay on, ev mode will shut it off provided certain requirements are met such as a certain coolant temp, cat temp etc.

My 2007 MK II prius has almost 200,000 miles and apart from recalls I have had to do nothing other than oil and spark changes. It has not failed once.

Thank you!

1.5 is the biggest I've ever driven so I'm a little worried. It's on the other side of the country so it's hard to know if it's worth the travel.

Is 4500 a good price?

Thank you!

1.5 is the biggest I've ever driven so I'm a little worried. It's on the other side of the country so it's hard to know if it's worth the travel.

Is 4500 a good price?

4500-5000 would be what I'd expect to pay if buying private, dealers are selling them up to 8500.

The Prius is more like a 2.0l with the extra shove of the motor, provided your traction battery isn't run down.

• Advertisement

My insurance is 250e less if I go for it which is nuts. I've only ever driven small cars.

I don't want to be a bother but you clearly know what you're talking about. Is the 05 model a good one?

Could you possibly give me a list of things to check when I go to look at it?

Thank you!!

What I would check is the service book for a full service history, it needs an oil & filter change ever 10,000 miles or roughly every 16,000 Kms.

I'm sure one or two missing services are not going to be a huge issue. Provided the oil is changed at least diy.

Spark plugs around 100 Kms ( though that depends on the plugs used)

I would get the gearbox oil changed also by 160,000 Kms. This is not part of the service schedule.

Recalls include, water pumps, accelerator, steering and can't rem if that included the brakes.

If the information is not written in the service book there should at least be a computer print out of work carried out which I'm sure can be verified by Toyota. I don't think they ever stamped my book but I've the printouts.

It is possible if you give the reg to the local Toyota where the car was serviced that they can verify the work carried out.

Do the normal on a test run, turn off ac and radio and check for suspension knocks and squeaks, bushings have been known to go. Check for correct oil level, coolant , check the car is within service schedule and not well beyond the due service mileage or date.

The traction battery needs no maintenance and usually lasts the life of the car.

It might be handy if you can get the car on the diagnostics to check if there are fault codes. I'd call the local garage though, but because you're not the owner they might not be willing to give any info unless you get the owner to clear it.

0Kdv554.jpg

Here are the Qs I asked, seems like a genuine guy.

Could be genuine but you can't be too careful. If he has a receipt for the parts sometimes the reg is on the receipt or it will say prius for the parts.

If he's selling for his sister her signature will need to be on the cert when he hands over the car. I always get a receipt signed when I buy a car so if they report it stolen you have something. I don't trust anyone. You can print out a receipt before you look at the car.

But Personally I wouldn't buy a car unless it was directly from the person who owns it, so if she wants to sell it she'll be there. Me being awkward ? I'd ask to see the drivers license so it's not his girlfriend there.

I wouldn't buy a car in someone else's name at a different house unless it was from the owner .

Anyone else with advice or think I'm overly cautious ?

I hadn't even thought of that! Thanks :)

• Advertisement

So it all checks out, the sister can be there when I purchase. Going tomorrow to see it.

When do I get my membership pack to the Prius Elite club? :P

So it all checks out, the sister can be there when I purchase. Going tomorrow to see it.

When do I get my membership pack to the Prius Elite club? :P

Good stuff ! remember, trust your instincts, if it feels wrong walk away.

Take a test drive, like all cars they're not for everyone. But they're one of the best 2nd hand cars you can buy.

I've watched a couple of vids now to help me adjust to driving the Prius.

Thankfully all I can drive is automatics so I'm comfortable with one foot driving.

I have a question. How does the handbrake work? Is it the same as other automatics as in it won't roll back if I'm on a hill?

Thanks!

I've watched a couple of vids now to help me adjust to driving the Prius.

Thankfully all I can drive is automatics so I'm comfortable with one foot driving.

I have a question. How does the handbrake work? Is it the same as other automatics as in it won't roll back if I'm on a hill?

Thanks!

Some of the prius videos that show fuel saving tips may make it seem like you've to drive at 50 kph but they're just trying to demonstrate how the likes of pulse and glide works where it's safe and usually on empty roads.

The handbrake is a foot brake but I haven't had problems on hills, usually as you lift off the brake the motor has already engaged and you won't roll back, you can left foot brake the brake pedal also.

One thing about the brake, sometimes when you're stopped in traffic and your foot is on the brake sometimes the motor will still be consuming power so you'll need to push the brake pedal a bit harder, this can waste a lot of the battery if you don't notice it, the energy monitor will show if there is power going to the motor. You can just press p and let your foot off the brake.

Some of the prius videos that show fuel saving tips may make it seem like you've to drive at 50 kph but they're just trying to demonstrate how the likes of pulse and glide works where it's safe and usually on empty roads.

The handbrake is a foot brake but I haven't had problems on hills, usually as you lift off the brake the motor has already engaged and you won't roll back, you can left foot brake the brake pedal also.

One thing about the brake, sometimes when you're stopped in traffic and your foot is on the brake sometimes the motor will still be consuming power so you'll need to push the brake pedal a bit harder, this can waste a lot of the battery if you don't notice it, the energy monitor will show if there is power going to the motor. You can just press p and let your foot off the brake.

Thanks a million, you've been a massive help with this. No doubt I'll have more questions if it all goes through.

So I brought her home today. Car is fantastic, spotless and drives with no issues at all.

200kms home averaging 5ltr/100kms. Not sure if this is good yet? Average speed would have been about 110kms.

Great car, a bit sluggish on hills I notice, but perfect. Over the moon lads.

Fair play well wear.

5.0l to me is about the worst I can get. It will take a bit of practice.

Fair play well wear.

5.0l to me is about the worst I can get. It will take a bit of practice.

Yeah I guessed as much! I'll work on it ;)

One other thing, don't be resetting the trip computer after or before every trip as this will not give an accurate reading.

It's the per tank reading that matters.

Best to reset after every fill up.

What size a tank does the Prius have? I'm guessing about 44ltrs? I usually fill my tank half way, so I guessed at 20ltrs.

• Advertisement

What size a tank does the Prius have? I'm guessing about 44ltrs? I usually fill my tank half way, so I guessed at 20ltrs.

I think it's roughly 45 litres.

What I would do is reset it after every 2 half fills then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I think it's roughly 45 litres.

What I would do is reset it after every 2 half fills then.

Mine's a 45 litre tank(gen 2) . I brimmed mine the first couple of times to get an accurate idea of the mpg and both times it was only 1mpg different to what the MFD said.

Thanks lads. I've a gen 2 also.

One more question. The fuel gauge - how low can I go? I was on one bar before the R (assuming reserve tank).

Oh and also, on the gear stick, what's the B for?

I've brought it to flashing on the fuel gauge but when you need fuel you might as well get it.

B mode on the gear switch is "only" to be used coming down long step hills. It increases engine breaking, and reduces wear and tear on the friction brakes. Especially when the traction battery can't take more change then there is no more regen so you rely on traditional breaking.

If you drive in B it will be very inefficient.

Okay cool, I never used the 1st or 2nd gear in any of my autos before, so I doubt I'll be needing it all that much.

Awesome.

Some humor for you: It took me a solid 15mins this morning to find where the lever for the petrol door is. On the plus, I found where the power outlet is. On all the pics, I saw it was on the passenger's side. On mine, it's in the arm rest.

Super cool.

Yeah took me a while to find the fuel flap release too.:D

Yeah took me a while to find the fuel flap release too.:D

After my general work commute the average l/100km is 4.7.

Slowly getting better. Lads at work can't believe how quiet it is. Got her through the car wash and bought a tape aux adapter and a pretty flower for my dash that's vanilla scented.

I've got a question about cruise control.

Mine does not seem to work. Does it only work when at a certain speed? I press the button in the light comes on but the car decelerates.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You need to push the button on the end if the stalk to turn main cruise on/off.
    push the stalk up/down to control the speed,
    Tap it down to activate,
    Pull it towards you to cancel
    Tap it up to resume

Think you need to be doing 55kmph or so for it to work.

If you hit the brakes the cruise is cancelled.
    If you're on a set speed and accelerate with the pedal, the car will go faster. Once you let your foot off the pedal it'll resume back to the speed you were at before accelleration.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much colm.

I'm full of questions, it's intriguing!

So yesterday I drove 200kms home with the car and got 4.9/100kms. Majority of the ride home I noticed the highest it would go is about 12ltrs while accelerating etc.

So today I did my normal commute and at one stage while accelerating it was saying current fuel consumption would go as high as 25.5/100kms and would slowly come down.

Is that normal?

Advertisement