Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Boxsets changes 30th of September

Options
  • 05-09-2014 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭

Sky Boxsets will now only be available to Sky customers with a Sky+HD subscription from the 30th of September

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

until 30/4/15 for a limited period

SKY HD pack should be scrapped

If there is something on sky boxed sets, I will make sure to watch it before April 2015

From 1/5/15, in the small print, you have to get the HD pack for 12 months if you want to see the sky boxed sets

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Seems they are desperate to get everybody to move over to a sky HD box and get rid of their SD boxes. oh and get a few extra quid out of people!

How many other countries charge extra for HD in the subs? Not many i would assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭_John C

Definitely not worth an extra €15 a month. Thats €180 per year!!! for HD versions of the channels you have already. And anything available in their "On Demand Boxsets" is also available on the internet.

Broadband is expensive enough in this country , so to anyone who is paying for broadband; I say "make use of it".

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭NDJ4

ftakeith wrote: »
    until 30/4/15 for a limited period

SKY HD pack should be scrapped

If there is something on sky boxed sets, I will make sure to watch it before April 2015

From 1/5/15, in the small print, you have to get the HD pack for 12 months if you want to see the sky boxed sets

Just got a letter from sly saying that "from 30 September box sets will only be available with a sky+hd subscription but don't worry we'd like to give you sky+hd at the special price of just €7.50 a month for 12 months".

I had a call from sly tv 2 weeks ago with this offer (without the news that i would lose the box sets) and told the guy that it was shameful in this day and age that sky were charging for hd when hd has been standard fare on tvs for nearly 10 years now.

I'm already paying for the standard and sports pack and refuse to pay extra for hd, and I'd say that everyone else told sly this too. This is just a veiled attempt to squeeze more cash for a service that should be given for free. I understand the extra cost to sly for sporting and movie rights but Its not like it costs them any more to transmit in hd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

People give out about the charge for HD and then keep paying it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

NDJ4 wrote: »
    Just got a letter from sly saying that "from 30 September box sets will only be available with a sky+hd subscription but don't worry we'd like to give you sky+hd at the special price of just €7.50 a month for 12 months".

I had a call from sly tv 2 weeks ago with this offer (without the news that i would lose the box sets) and told the guy that it was shameful in this day and age that sky were charging for hd when hd has been standard fare on tvs for nearly 10 years now.

I'm already paying for the standard and sports pack and refuse to pay extra for hd, and I'd say that everyone else told sly this too. This is just a veiled attempt to squeeze more cash for a service that should be given for free. I understand the extra cost to sly for sporting and movie rights but Its not like it costs them any more to transmit in hd?

Your 'K' key only seems to be working intermittently. I'd get that seen to if I were you. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

NDJ4 wrote: »
    don't worry we'd like to give you sky+hd at the special price of just €7.50 a month for 12 months".
    That part wasn't in my letter, not that I want the HD subscription anyway.

Did we not see an increase in our subscriptions last year for the "On Demand" service and now they cut this out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

hellboy99 wrote: »
    That part wasn't in my letter, not that I want the HD subscription anyway.

Did we not see an increase in our subscriptions last year for the "On Demand" service and now they cut this out of it?

We're already been ripped off. No way l'm paying them extra for the same service, HD is irrelevant to me.

l'm disgusted with Sky to be honest. Pure greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

clerk wrote: »
    l'm disgusted with Sky to be honest. Pure greed.

The billion a year Sky pay to the premiership to keep Wayne Rooney in cigs & diet pills has to come from somewhere!

Indeed Sky are really pushing their customers hard.

The billion a year Sky pay to the premiership to keep Wayne Rooney in cigs & diet pills has to come from somewhere!

Indeed Sky are really pushing their customers hard.

Fair enough but l won't be paying them extra. l already got rid of the sports a good few Years back. Bye bye box sets, not going to be bullied into handing over another €15 per Month for the same tv programmes.

They charge way less is the Uk, they're just taking us for a ride and in a recession too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

clerk wrote: »
    Fair enough but l won't be paying them extra. l already got rid of the sports a good few Years back. Bye bye box sets, not going to be bullied into handing over another €15 per Month for the same tv programmes.

They charge way less is the Uk, they're just taking us for a ride and in a recession too.

Are the box sets exclusive to sky or can they be watched on Netflix or a similar service for less than 15€ a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

So I have the sky hd box and I get all of the boxsets etc....does this mean that form sept 30th I will no longer be getting these or is it just for new customers who sign up after sept 30th?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

mick kk wrote: »
    So I have the sky hd box and I get all of the boxsets etc....does this mean that form sept 30th I will no longer be getting these or is it just for new customers who sign up after sept 30th?
    Thanks

Unless you pony up the 15 euros for a hd subscription the boxsets are gone even if you have a hd box.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

I can't believe this, shower...I'm already going to cancel my broadband as we have 4G in the area and with unlimited data (or rather 7.5GB) with Meteor for €20 per month, why pay €40 extra per month??

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

dont see any mention of this happening on the sky uk site so obviously using us as guinea pigs or cash cows depending on which way they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

clevtrev wrote: »
    dont see any mention of this happening on the sky uk site so obviously using us as guinea pigs or cash cows depending on which way they go.

HD is standard with all but the most basic packages in the UK.

Not the cleverest strategy from Sky when your main competitor, UPC, offers HD as standard and does not charge extra for box sets, not to mention that the channels most viewers want in HD - BBC1&2, UTV, Ch4 and RTE 2 are already available without a HD subscription.

Can see this one backfiring on Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

clevtrev wrote: »

HD is standard with all but the most basic packages in the UK.

Not the cleverest strategy from Sky when your main competitor, UPC, offers HD as standard and does not charge extra for box sets, not to mention that the channels most viewers want in HD - BBC1&2, UTV, Ch4 and RTE 2 are already available without a HD subscription.

Infoanon wrote: »
    I hope it does, it's gone beyond a joke with Sky now at this stage and talk of another €2 increase in subs after Xmas :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

i was away from home for a month so didnt pay sky and get home to a letter and emails saying we are sorry you have chose to leave sky bla bla

on one the emails it had a survey so i filled it in, the questions are a joke, it kepy asking me why i wanted to leave sky but had no options a all for me to add in "i never wanted to leave sky, yous decided on that"

in the question air it also said are you aware of a price increase for sky services from september 2014 and a change to boxsets, so people should keep a eye out for that increase

tbh im glad they did as i wont be going back to them after 8 years.

People give out about the charge for HD and then keep paying it

Just like the property tax and the water charges!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Just like the property tax and the water charges!

Those are unavoidable stealth taxes, not the same. You make the choice to get Sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭caolfx

Cheers for the heads up. I was actually considering going back to Sky. Not now though.

Absolute rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I can't believe this, shower...I'm already going to cancel my broadband as we have 4G in the area and with unlimited data (or rather 7.5GB) with Meteor for €20 per month, why pay €40 extra per month??

Jesus, I doubt I'd be able to stick to a cap of 7.5gb a day, nevermind a month.

Just been onto Sky about it, waste of time ringing them although the guy I spoke to did say it was unfair but then went onto say that it was done to get more customers to subscribe to HD and this extra money will be used to improve future programs, yeah right...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

I disagree with the wording of these so called box sets e.g The South Park Boxset only shows 5 shows from a season.
    I thought a Boxset meant that it's all the shows from all the seasons?
    Or am I wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm paying nothing for 6 months having left them and then getting a call.
    Won't be paying more than I have to.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Just been onto Sky about it, waste of time ringing them although the guy I spoke to did say it was unfair but then went onto say that it was done to get more customers to subscribe to HD and this extra money will be used to improve future programs, yeah right...

l was going to ring them but then l decided l couldn't be bothered, rubbish customer service, duly noted and if the chance to get rid arises in the future it will be done.

As somebody else said the boxsets were launched to a big hullaballo and a price increase and now this. Lets be honest they're taking the piss here.

Killing the goose that laid the golden egg springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

_John C wrote: »
    Broadband is expensive enough in this country , so to anyone who is paying for broadband; I say "make use of it".
    I was thinking this myself. I assume once a box set is already downloaded now, I can watch it later even without a HD sub?

I was thinking this myself. I assume once a box set is already downloaded now, I can watch it later even without a HD sub?
    Knowing Sky, I doubt it.

• Advertisement

Email reply from Sky:
    I understand that you wish to have Box Sets however, not happy to pay for the Sky + HD Subscription, which is increasing your bill. I apologise for the inconvience caused to you.

Sky aims at providing the best of the product and services. I was disappointed to hear of the problems you encountered with addition of Box Sets to customers who have Sky + HD subscription. We value you as a customer and assure you that your feedback has been taken into
    consideration. We will also implement this feedback to improve the service we provide.

Sky changes offers regularly and most offers are available only for
    a limited period of time. Different customers are given different offers as per their subscription. The best way to get the most up to date information about our offers is to check our website at the following link: http://www.sky.com/ireland/customer-shop/customer-offers/

Alternatively, please contact the Customer Service, one of my colleague will be able to assist you with discounts that can reduce the bill. I appreciate your time and patience.

I hope this information has helped you.
    Can't even spell inconvenience correctly :rolleyes:

And a reply from Sky over on their Facebook page:

Thanks for taking the time to post on our Facebook wall and I apologise for
    the late reply.

I'm sorry to read that you are happy with the recent changes to our packages in Republic of Ireland meaning you will now need to have HD or upgrade to our Family Bundle, to be able to watch TV Box Sets on On Demand. This is been brought in line to match what has already happened in the UK. Sky is continually investing in content for our customers and since launching On Demand content for Irish customers in 2012 we currently offer more box sets of the latest shows than any other Pay TV or online subscription service, including nine times more than UPC. However in order to continue to add new high quality titles it is necessary to introduce this change.

But all customers with a connected Sky+HD set-top box will continue to be
    able to access Catch Up TV at no extra cost, plus sports and movies on demand in line with your subscription.

We want you to get the most from Sky TV and we continue to find ways to
    deliver this, including the launch of Sky Atlantic in 2011, which is exclusive
    to Sky customers, the launch of Sky Go, and the introduction of Sky On Demand, which provides access to thousands of hours of TV content and greater flexibility and control over how customers watch their favourite shows.

There will be no change to your current subscription price unless you choose
    to upgrade.

I hope this information has helped however if you do have any further
    questions, then please don't hesitate to ask.

https://www.facebook.com/sky/posts/871564476196308?comment_id=872056962813726&offset=0&total_comments=1&ref=notif&notif_t=feed_comment

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement