Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Guest

Options
  • 05-09-2014 5:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Saw a preview of this yesterday, knowing very little about it.. surprisingly it's an absolute cracker of a film, enjoyed every second of it.

It's currently 91% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, it's out today, go see it, you won't regret it.

(the trailer gives a bit too much away and doesn't really do it justice, so avoid watching it if you can)

Comments

I could have swore that I started a thread about this well over a year if not two ago. Been looking forward to it since I first heard of it as Simon Barrett and Adam Wingard are two of the most interesting voices in genre cinema atm and after the superb A Horrible Way to Die and You're Next they really are on their way to the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Also thought it was brilliant, the lead actor is absolutely outstanding, and the rest do a good job as well, its surprisingly black comedy ish all the way through, not much action but what there is is outstanding, very much recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

cloud493 wrote: »
    Also thought it was brilliant, the lead actor is absolutely outstanding, and the rest do a good job as well, its surprisingly black comedy ish all the way through, not much action but what there is is outstanding, very much recommended.

Awesome I'm going to see this tomorrow, great to read it's actually been getting some rave reviews and it's good to see you enjoyed it. It has the feel of Drive mixed with A History of Violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Went to see it today and we thought it was absolutely outstanding; as thrillers go, this was close to American Psycho although with relatively different themes. Dan Stevens who played lead was brilliant, the direction of the film was well done (very David Lynch-esque I thought) and the soundtrack was fantastic. I couldn't recommend this film more.

On the point of the soundtrack; I have been browsing the web for a while now looking for the track list but to no avail, I would absolutely love to hear it, so if anyone knows where to find it or can link me to it that would be very much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement

Simply outstanding movie, It reminded me of Halloween mixed with the Terminator with a cool 80's sounding soundtrack. Also the thing that mostly stood out is how darkly funny it was
    Collins killing of the parents and Anna's friend's (also killing the diner full of people) before he does with "I'm very sorry about this" and the principal scene and bar scene
    it should have been shocking but I couldn't help but laugh.

Dan Stevens (is this the same guy from Downtown Abbey) gives a career making performance as David Collins, I can't see him ever topping this. He's funny and charming but can switch to
    cold blooded Terminator style killing machine in the 3rd act who can't be killed
    . It's a Iconic performance, am I the only one that was cheering on Collins in the end.

Brendan Meyer as Luke was fantastic, the scenes between him and Stevens were some of the standouts. Maika Monroe as Anna was also very good. This is a Cult hit in the making, it was one of the scariest films I've seen like Terminator was the scene in the student prom setting was pretty nail biting and the ending
    Collins is still alive
    is a nod obviously towards Halloween. It's not a film you can take serious and it's completely bonkers but it's an amazing film, this would have fitted well in John Carpenter peak era. The soundtrack is bloody amazing too.

Your man is indeed from Downton Abbey. Very good accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,251 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

cloud493 wrote: »
    Your man is indeed from Downton Abbey. Very good accent.

He reminds me of Ryan Gosling in this :p

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    He reminds me of Ryan Gosling in this :p

He does, he hit the gym big time and lost a little weight and accent is top notch, the film has a Drive vibe to it with the Soundtrack plus the posters are leaning toward it (Cold In July did the same). As much as I loved Gosling in Drive, Stevens is on another level here. In one fell swoop he wiped Downtown Abbey from my mind, he's now David Collins.

'If some kids in your school push you around, you take a knife into school. If they take that knife off you, you find out where they live and burn their houses down at night'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Went to see it tonight, for most of this I was thinking, this is an absolute cracker. It was like john carpenter had suddenly rediscovered his mojo. Magnificent synth score, great photography, really atmospheric. But then it just seemed to get completely ridiculous in the last 20 minutes aand I was sitting there bored.
    Such a shame. But look overall it gets away with it just wish they hadn't dropped the ball at the one yard line.
    8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭siblers

You guys should watch You're Next. It's from the same director, i've not seen The Guest but I would imagine that ye would enjoy it.

tunguska wrote: »
    Went to see it tonight, for most of this I was thinking, this is an absolute cracker. It was like john carpenter had suddenly rediscovered his mojo. Magnificent synth score, great photography, really atmospheric. But then it just seemed to get completely ridiculous in the last 20 minutes aand I was sitting there bored.
    Such a shame. But look overall it gets away with it just wish they hadn't dropped the ball at the one yard line.
    8/10

I got to disagree with you a 100% on that Tunguska, the last third act was some of the most joyous and OTT fun I had in the cinema since Raid 2 last third. Yeah it's so ridiculous when
    Collins turns into a unstoppable killing machine, killing off parents, blown up a diner, killing a load of special train soilders and then ends up living in the end when he was stabbed in the neck and chest
    but it's obvious the Director and Writer were going for that, they are taking the piss out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Looper007 wrote: »
    I got to disagree with you a 100% on that Tunguska, the last third act was some of the most joyous and OTT fun I had in the cinema since Raid 2 last third. Yeah it's so ridiculous when
    Collins turns into a unstoppable killing machine, killing off parents, blown up a diner, killing a load of special train soilders and then ends up living in the end when he was stabbed in the neck and chest
    but it's obvious the Director and Writer were going for that, they are taking the piss out of it.

I know what you're saying, that it was kind of a knowing homage to action movies of the 80s were there was always carnage and a high body count. I just think it became boring when all the shooting started. For me i think they should've gone down the Shane route with the finale, that would've been a more meaningful and satisfying end.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I hadn't even heard of this film before seeing this thread a couple of days ago, when I saw it was by the same people who made You're Next I decided to give it a look.

Film of the year for me so far. It manages to be both tense and hilarious, plus there's some solid action scenes thrown in. I loved the constant curve-balls it keeps throwing the audience.
    I was firmly on David's side up until he stabbed the mother, even after the bit in the quarry. He was clearly the villain from then on but yet I still felt a bit conflicted! It was like the filmakers were going, "Why are you even surprised? We've shown this guy is violent psychopath from the start and you still like him? Weirdos!!"
    The toying with audience expectations just made the whole thing feel very fresh even while it was wearing its influences firmly on its sleeve.

Due to the soundtrack, the way the main actor looks and the story line
    for the first hour
    comparisons with Drive will probably be inevitable but they're very very different films though.

Highly recommended and if you like this and haven't seen You're Next then make sure you do. It's available on Netflix at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

The trailer i saw made it look terrible. Said no way id go see it. Very surprised to see the reviews here and might go along now.

Right up there with guardians, edge of tomorrow, and jump street as best movies of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I'm not getting the hype for this at all. Not particularly thrilling, very predictable and it did not deliver on an early promise with nearly everything being spoiled in the trailer. The film has great sound design and an interesting lead performance but doesn't really do much else. Thought You're Next was far superior as well.

In fairness it's something I'd be happy to watch on Netflix of an evening but as a cinema experience it really wasn't anything special.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

First time I've come across this Dan Stevens fellow; very much doubt it will be the last. What a great character.

It was riddled with cliches, from start to finish, but the movie just really seemed to know what it was doing with all of them. The screening I was at was in fits of laughter for so much of it.

Really enjoyable flick, love how it steadily built up and up into the chaotic ending.

And the soundtrack was perfectly pitched. The combo of music cues and facial reactions was quality.

Yup, fully enjoyed that!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm with e_e on this one - after being impressed by You're Next I was very much looking forward to this, but there were only rare moments where it rose above enjoyable fluff.

We've seen this film dozens of times before, and the curve balls and shark jumping twists here were more window dressing and cheap sleights of hand than radical evolutions of formula - both the journey and the destination were, with some minor exceptions along the way, the same as always. I couldn't help but be reminded in many respects of Killer Joe, which did go to the dizzyingly sleazy and ludicrous heights this appeared to be aiming for. There's something surprisingly tame about The Guest, given it is proudly pulpy in so many respects. This is especially true after the giddy slapstick viscera of Wingard's last film, and none of the action here packs the same sort of punch. The climax has a handful of slick shots, but mostly plays out like a retread of any number of similar thrillers, with an added house of mirror sequence that only made me wish I was watching the The Lady from Shanghai ending instead.

I enjoyed the build up quite a bit - the unease and tension beautifully articulated by Dan Stevens' creepy performance. But once the revelations started flowing it lost me to cheap, underwhelming genre thrills, rote characterisation and several incidences of clunky exposition and dialogue. It worked best in a slower gear, and IMO struggled severely when transitioning to higher ones - I admire Wingard's tenacity for going all out, but yeah I couldn't get on board with the escalating levels of silliness. On a personal level, I'm a wee bit bored at this stage with the whole faux-80s vibe and soundtracking, especially hot on the heels of Cold in July and its ilk. That, to be fair, is a concern outside Wingard's control, but I'm still not convinced its a cinematic era worthy of such affectionate homaging (although at this point the actual styles of the 1980s have been superseded by distorted pastiches of the same).

It is, despite my grumbling, a decent night's entertainment, with a very strong lead performance and a handful of particularly well-handled sequences (the principal's office scene was very funny). It's definitely never less than watchable. The Guest also has Lance Reddick in a badass trenchcoat, which is great :)

One utterly pedantic criticism that irked me to an irrational degree - the needless inclusion of the second Reddick scene, where he was getting into the car. It seemed to be completely redundant in terms of the information it told us, and was haphazardly edited in at a pretty arbitrary moment in the narrative (and upsetting the film's internal chronology in the process).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Thanks guys, i think we finally got some proper reviews of it there, i think ill skip it afterall

I wouldn't turn anyone away from seeing it but I think everything that is teased is just window dressing for what is essentially just a very ordinary thriller at the end of the day. Again that's fine but my disappointment with it comes from feeling a promise in the opening hour that was never delivered upon.
    I honestly thought that after the fake-out at the end death we'd be getting another 20 minutes of playful action.
    That entire final act felt like too little too late to me and the ending doesn't even take full advantage of what is a really cool location. Compare this to You're Next which is a film that near constantly subverts expectations in a really funny and clever way. A film that keeps building whereas this spends an hour spinning its wheels and then for all that just indulges in some merely acceptable action.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah I'd stop short of advising anyone against going to see it - you could easily do far worse, and there have been enough positive responses here to indicate that it worked for many people. I just found the whole thing fairly underwhelming, and I thought You're Next did a much better job at offering playful genre thrills than this did.

I agree on the finale - I got really excited when
    they entered the Halloween maze
    because it was so visually vibrant compared to a lot of what came before. I was thinking 'OK, so it's all been leading to this!'. But they seemed to simply move on without exploiting either the dramatic or aesthetic potential of the setting. Although I did get a laugh
    out of Reddick's disgusted response when the teacher yelled out the convoluted exit instructions
    :p

Johnmy and e_e, I was waiting for them to say it was underwhelming. No way was I expecting glowing reviews from them two :D

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Didn't know anything about this going in, and thought this was a great film. Yes, there are clichés, and yes, other films might do twists etc better, but it's still an entertaining, and kinda fun, thriller. I was kept fully engaged throughout (even with the 3rd act which I accept was out-of-pace with the rest of the film, but I didn't think it was jarringly so).

Would definitely recommend, and will definitely be looking up You're Next based on this film and recommendations above.

Looper007 wrote: »
    Johnmy and e_e, I was waiting for them to say it was underwhelming. No way was I expecting glowing reviews from them two :D
    Hey nothing more boring than a load of people just blindly agreeing with each other in a thread. That's a real conversation killer and I'd be plain dishonest if I told you that the film completely worked for me. I can't hold back my disappointment when I go to see a movie expecting a fun time but am completely distanced from it for 80% of the run time. It's very odd to me how much this film feels like a hastily written first act to something that would really go all out later, hence the cut to credits when things only started to feel like they were reaching the potential promised earlier. Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I thought You're next was an utter bag of shite :(

Hammy acting, woeful script
    "Where dad?"
    "He's upstairs lying down"
    "Oh ok"

WTF, your house is being invaded and your wife and kids are getting murdered and its believable your old man decided to take a lie down in all this mayhem

This on the other hand was great, great acting, great set pieces, great script, great on screen presence from David..I feel this would have been alot better if the trailer didnt give alot of it away

One of the top films of the year for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

:pac: I'll have to see both of them now.

Boards.ie for the win!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I thought some of the soundtrack was a bit like
    the first deus ex game.
    Anyone else think that ?. I would recommend it , the main actor was very good and unpredictable. I also loved
    the ending

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

adamski8 wrote: »
    The trailer i saw made it look terrible. Said no way id go see it. Very surprised to see the reviews here and might go along now.

me too.

that trailer didnt enthuse at all. i got NO idea that its as funny as some of the lads here a pointing out.

was well prepared to give it a miss but seeing as theres fuk all else out that interests me (last week was the first time i didnt go to the cinema this year) i think ill give it a shot.

hell i enjoyed "into the storm" and that looked complete pants, so it wouldnt be the first to surprise me.

:D

Advertisement