Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Chicken House

Options
  • 04-09-2014 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Ok so we have been battling red mites and have been advised to get a new coop, as our current one is made of wood and covered in felt which apparently is a breeding ground for the little buggers.

So my son has decided to build one out of steel so that it will last ages and no chance of red mites setting up home in it.

Has anyone built something similar and any tips, advice or pics of what we should build. We have 8 chickens so needs to be big enough in case we get more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭nekuchi

Will that not be like a furnace in the middle of summer (assuming we get a summer next year?)?
    Also, I imagine it wouldn't hold any heat in winter either?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

My neighbour has a corrogated tin coop - it was one of those old pig huts - which she has kept her hens in for 50+years (shes 95!!) She has wooden perches (branches) in the middle of the coop (not around the 'walls') and has thick straw bedding. Shes never heard of red mite! So too hot/cold mightnt be an issue - though did those pig huts come with some insulation??

I had a fab coop - very des-res wooden, lovely 'tray/drawer' for floor for sliding out to clean, nest boxes on outside with a lid. Fab in comparison with the 'slums' Ive always kept my hens in (made by husband). The first and only time Ive ever had an infestation of red mite was in that coop, which I havent used since :mad:

So I got 2 plastic dogs kennel in Dunnes Stores, husband added plastic door, added two plastic broom handles for perches, added plastic seed trays for nest boxes. Havent had a mite since :)

(Oh I put tons of DIATOM EARTH in every nook & cranny and corner in both coops)

Advertisement