Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2014: Round 13 - Italian Grand Prix

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

Boos it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Rosberg still getting boo'd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

Alesi making it nice and awkward there

Jesus that's nuts.

Lol at Alesis question. Ouch!

Go Eddie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,827 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Eddie with the conspiracy theory questions does nothing for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Nico's body language clearly said they weren't friends but they still are team mates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Gillespy

I cannot believe Eddie asked Toto that. It's as stupid as the theory that Merc are favouring the German driver.

Rosberg didn't have the pace and he folded under the pressure. Hamilton had his measure all weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Autosport wrote: »
    Nico's body language clearly said they weren't friends but they still are team mates

Nice of Nico to ensure that the pre-podium chatting was done in Italian so Lewis couldn't join in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

Payback

As Liada stated, the lap rimes were consistently close, both cars were racing. Did Rosnerg want to risk any collision possibilities.

If the driver had only completed a couple of laps before the race, OK, but the long oractice, the consist lap times become metronomic. Btaking points, throttle positions are all methodical abd as the times show, consistent.

The guys are professionals, and Rosberg doesn't siddenly become erratic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Good race apart from the stupidness up front. Hoping the team orders are for one race only, afraid that there'll be no more wheel to wheel battles for the rest of the season.

Further back, I'd say Ricciardo had fun, disappointing start but he's fast become a favourite. Great race from Massa, he still has a lot to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Good race apart from the stupidness up front. Hoping the team orders are for one race only, afraid that there'll be no more wheel to wheel battles for the rest of the season.

Further back, I'd say Ricciardo had fun, disappointing start but he's fast become a favourite. Great race from Massa, he still has a lot to offer.

What Team Orders? There were none today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Gillespy wrote: »
    I cannot believe Eddie asked Toto that. It's as stupid as the theory that Merc are favouring the German driver.

Rosberg didn't have the pace and he folded under the pressure. Hamilton had his measure all weekend.

I have no problem with Eddie asking the question, I recall certain members of the media been shot down for hinting that Piquet Jnr may have crashed on purpose in Singapore.

You're comparing the two now?

If Hamilton had followed the advice he was given and maintain a 2 second gap, Rosberg wouldn't have been punished for missing the chicane. In fact, Hamilton was told to hold back just as Rosberg was told to save fuel, how does that fit in with your conspiracy theory? Like in Hungary, Hamilton taking things into his own hands has meant he finished in front of Rosberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

_rebelkid wrote: »
    What Team Orders? There were none today.

It all looks very suspect. He wasn't under any imminent pressure the first time he went through the chicane, a practice run maybe? Didn't seem to go in that hot the second time either. Toto's reaction was very strange. NR's mood after the race. All just seems to not add up right to me.

Mercedes face engineer as Tosberg goes thro chicane.

Acceptance? Disappointment? or refigned to the situation?

65SWNc.jpg

8gzHTE.jpg

5GJTb3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I think that although the move handily fits into a narrative about team orders, it wasn't team orders. Mercedes have worked hard to get to where they are and Toto Wolff and Niki Lauda aren't the Flávio Briatore kind to effectively fix a race. I suspect Rosberg's punishment was a mixture of financial and giving up the option of choosing who pits first.

The FIA clamped down pretty hard on everyone involved in 2008’s crashgate and it disgraced a lot of people. I think any team would be stupid to try it again, especially when the drivers are running first and second without much competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,611 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Great race today. Was delighted to see Massa back on the podium hopefuly this is not his only one this year. Great comeback for Hamilton and I don,t think there was any team orders today Lewis was just the best driver and beat Rosberg. It was no ones fault but Rosberg for making the mistakes he did and letting Lewis get ahead. Some great moves and racing by D Riccardo, V Bottas and Sergio Perez too.
    Felt sorry for Alonso and Ferrari of all the places to have a failure at home was not the place that you want it to happen. Ferrari really did not do good today. Hopefully next year they might have a better car.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Scotty # wrote: »
    It all looks very suspect. He wasn't under any imminent pressure the first time he went through the chicane, a practice run maybe? Didn't seem to go in that hot the second time either. Toto's reaction was very strange. NR's mood after the race. All just seems to not add up right to me.

Suspect? Really?

The first one was a stupid mistake. He went too far on DRS, locked up. and kept going. The second one was a crack under the pressure. The cars are going from 215mph to 50mph in a little over 2 seconds going into T1. Nico said himself that he knew he needed to push to keep Hamilton behind, regardless of what strategy Hamilton was supposed to be on. He had to push, and te most strategic place to do so in Monza is through the straights. You can gain time by staying that bit faster for that bit longer. That's what Rosberg was trying to do, but he went over the limit, locked up, and carried on.

Tot's reaction was essentially "damn, but at least we still have a 1-2 finish". Nico was visibly angry at himself in his pen interviews. THere's nothing suspect about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I've calmed down a bit now, was very annoyed earlier and felt we were denied a race up front. But cooler minds prevail and I am thinking more clearly. Whether the off by Rosberg was team orders or not (if it was the one off I'd be suspicious, but two less so), the holding station for 40 (EDIT: it was only 25 laps not forty) laps afterwards certainly was. The 4 second gap was held right up until Hamilton's lock up at the end, but with Rosberg matching Hamilton's lap times exactly. Lauda even alluded to the perfectly matched lap times in an interview with the BBC afterwards. Any other race this year and we'd have encouragement over the team radio, Rosberg trying something to catch leading to another off, hell even a fluctuating gap. Today, nothing.

I reckon they were told they can no longer race, whomever qualifies better or maybe whomever is leading by a certain lap will be let win, then hold station until the end. I don't think Mercedes would blatently tell Rosberg to let Hamilton past, and I hope Hamilton wouldn't accept a win that way. If it weren't for Ricciardo winning the last couple of races, and coming within spitting distance of Hamilton maybe Mercedes would be more lenient, but there is a real contender there now if the two Merc drivers take points off one another.

A pity, but hey it's Mercedes who pays the bills and there are plenty of other drivers who could finish 1-2 given that equipment if Rosberg or Hamilton don't play ball.

EDIT: D'oh, misremembered the race. It was lap 29 Hamilton got the lead, had it in my mind that it was much earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

I've calmed down a bit now, was very annoyed earlier and felt we were denied a race up front. But cooler minds prevail and I am thinking more clearly. Whether the off by Rosberg was team orders or not (if it was the one off I'd be suspicious, but two less so), the holding station for 40 (EDIT: it was only 25 laps not forty) laps afterwards certainly was. The 4 second gap was held right up until Hamilton's lock up at the end, but with Rosberg matching Hamilton's lap times exactly. Lauda even alluded to the perfectly matched lap times in an interview with the BBC afterwards. Any other race this year and we'd have encouragement over the team radio, Rosberg trying something to catch leading to another off, hell even a fluctuating gap. Today, nothing.

I reckon they were told they can no longer race, whomever qualifies better or maybe whomever is leading by a certain lap will be let win, then hold station until the end. I don't think Mercedes would blatently tell Rosberg to let Hamilton past, and I hope Hamilton wouldn't accept a win that way. If it weren't for Ricciardo winning the last couple of races, and coming within spitting distance of Hamilton maybe Mercedes would be more lenient, but there is a real contender there now if the two Merc drivers take points off one another.

A pity, but hey it's Mercedes who pays the bills and there are plenty of other drivers who could finish 1-2 given that equipment if Rosberg or Hamilton don't play ball.

EDIT: D'oh, misremembered the race. It was lap 29 Hamilton got the lead, had it in my mind that it was much earlier.

ive got a feeling rosberg was told to sort of make it up to hamilton earlier on in the week or perhaps after the last race incident.

By Mike Litorius
    Go Eddie!

You didn't say how far?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

_rebelkid wrote: »
    Suspect? Really?

The first one was a stupid mistake. He went too far on DRS, locked up. and kept going. The second one was a crack under the pressure. ...
    Tot's reaction was essentially "damn, but at least we still have a 1-2 finish". Nico was visibly angry at himself in his pen interviews. THere's nothing suspect about it.
    Huh, DRS??

Of course it's suspect, hence it's being discussed all over twitter and various F1 forums like this one.

Doing it once is uncharacteristic from a driver at Rosbergs level, but doing it twice, is suspect.

Toto's reaction certainly wasn't "DAMN!". He was smiling. It looked more to me like he knew Rosberg was going to give Hamilton the race but not how. Toto looked a bit like he was thinking to himself "well wasn't that clever of you".

Rosberg was not angry, in fact, he sounds more like he's trying to convince us it was genuine.

Says he didn't want to risk a flat spot. This from the same guy who a fortnight ago was willing to take them both out rather than let Hamilton win. Hmm, suspect.

I do hope I'm wrong btw.

Oblomov wrote: »
    You didn't say how far?

Lol. He went all the way. :p

Huh, DRS??

Of course it's suspect, hence it's being discussed all over twitter and various F1 forums like this one.

Doing it once is uncharacteristic from a driver at Rosbergs level, but doing it twice, is suspect.

Toto's reaction certainly wasn't "DAMN!". He was smiling. It looked more to me like he knew Rosberg was going to give Hamilton the race but not how. Toto looked a bit like he was thinking to himself "well wasn't that clever of you".

Rosberg was not angry, in fact, he sounds more like he's trying to convince us it was genuine.

I do hope I'm wrong btw.

I agree. when she asks him how he try and respond better to pressure from lewis and he starts smiling, you know full well that he gave the position to hamilton. Hes almost playing with the presenter. Its not obvious of course, but last week he crashed into his team mate, so hes capable of lesser things.

I tuned in today expecting a great battle and it was disappointing.

Rosberg went straight on in Canada too. Hamilton was large in his mirrors that day as well. It's just another example of Rosberg failing to get the better of Hamilton in a fair battle.

Personally, I think the radio message to Hamilton telling him to maintain the gap whilst Rosberg was in fuel saving mode has more legs. On the heels of the team orders in Hungary, makes you wonder if Merc really do want a German driver to win. Was Hamilton's start sabotaged too?:pac:

Gillespy wrote: »

id love to believe it, because i want to see the better driver prevail, regardless of who that is. Im not pro one drive or against another. Just want to see a good race.

I wouldnt say it is totally apparent, but it does seem like rosberg was trying to let Hamilton win this weekend. That "mistake" by him at the first corner (i think) was pathetic. he could have actually made the turn. We probably wont know for 40 years, but it stinks of a set up.

Ive a funny feeling a more competitive rosberg will turn up at the next race. I still think it will come down to very last race with the double points.

Regardless, its the best F1 championship in a while

By Mike litorus
    Lol. He went all the way.

But, he keeps coming back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Ricciardo the best natural talent in F1 today. Vettel outed as a spoofer.

Didn't know Eamonn Dunphy was on boards

• Advertisement

Huh, DRS??

Says he didn't want to risk a flat spot. This from the same guy who a fortnight ago was willing to take them both out rather than let Hamilton win. Hmm, suspect.

I do hope I'm wrong btw.

He wasn't willing to "take them both out". Hamilton's comments, which Wolff and Lowe clarified, were that Rosberg didn't totally back out of the move. That is different from what you're implying. What Rosberg did last week was misjudge a cut back, and not fully back out. You saw how much track position Vettel lost doing the same thing. Puncturing the tyre was an unfortunate consequence. There's only a very small are of the sidewall that you could snag with part of the FW and puncture the tyre.

Something isn't suspect because a bunch of self-confessed Hamilton fans think it so. I spent a hour scrolling through the F1 hashtag, and 95% of those questioning Rosberg were the same people who have called him a cheat since Monaco. No one who's actually part of the sport is questioning the mistake today. EJ asked Wolff because he knew it would fit in with the "Team Payback" narrative the broadcasters have been running with.

Toto was smiling because for the first time since Austria, the team actually had a good weekend. All the team cares about is getting a 1-2 finish. That's all. Mercedes have given their drivers a good car, and the assurance of equal racing between them. It's then up to the drivers to race.

Making the mistake the first time was uncharacteristic: he was under no pressure, and wasn't pushing. The second time was him cracking under the pressure from Hamilton. He knew Hamilton was within DRS range. He knew the gap had been closing since the stops. All he could do was push. He did. He pushed too much. He locked up on the corner with the biggest stopping requirement of the year. Everybody has been saying that Hamilton had the psychological advantage after Spa, yet they suddenly forget about that when it actually takes effect.

Advertisement